The non-Rams free agents signed thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
hey mods, we really need a WTH / WTF button, you know, for this kind of news!
lol

He supposedly gets all of $1.5 million in 2018. No guaranteed money, afaict. No pro-rated bonus money. He can be cut if they feel like it in training camp.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You have anyone in mind? I don’t think it’s a bad idea to have a guy who can step in and not miss much of a beat with the offense. Lewis is a very good player. I’m not sure you can find a player of his caliber on the 3rd day of the draft.

Phillip Lindsay HB Colorado
John Kelly Jr. HB Tennessee
Kalen Ballage HB Arizona State
Nyheim Hines HB N.C. State
Chase Edmonds HB Fordham
Ito Smith HB Southern Miss
Mark Walton HB Miami
Martez Carter HB Grambling

No guarantee any are as good as Lewis, but we don't need someone as good as Lewis because we have Gurley. If you asked my preference of that group, Phillip Lindsay and John Kelly Jr. lead. Lindsay is the most pro ready 3rd down HB (NFL caliber pass pro and receiving skills). Kelly has the highest upside (could develop into a feature back).

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Chase Edmonds HB Fordham
Mark Walton HB Miami

No guarantee any are as good as Lewis, but we don't need someone as good as Lewis because we have Gurley. If you asked my preference of that group, Phillip Lindsay and John Kelly Jr. lead. Lindsay is the most pro ready 3rd down HB (NFL caliber pass pro and receiving skills). Kelly has the highest upside (could develop into a feature back).
Jrry do you have an opinion on Rashaad Penny - RB - San Diego State - 5' 11/220/4.46 40 !? Look great in the East / West Game!

…..

Legend
Chase Edmonds HB Fordham
Mark Walton HB Miami

I think John Kelly is going to be a featured back in this league no doubt. Of course, the last guy I loved out of Tennessee didnt pan out lol

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jrry do you have an opinion on Rashaad Penny - RB - San Diego State - 5' 11/220/4.46 40 !? Look great in the East / West Game!

I haven't looked into him since he's projected to go on Day 2.

I think John Kelly is going to be a featured back in this league no doubt. Of course, the last guy I loved out of Tennessee didnt pan out lol

FWIW, I agree with you. I think he could be a stud. Like Kamara, Tennessee and Butch Jones held him back.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Just go get Jimmy Graham to stretch the seam.

…..

Legend
FWIW, I agree with you. I think he could be a stud. Like Kamara, Tennessee and Butch Jones held him back.

I was going to say it seemed like the offense was'nt suited to him...but yeah...thats basically the same thing as being held back ;)

…..

Legend
Just go get Jimmy Graham to stretch the seam.

I stopped paying attention to Jimmy Graham when the Seattle players basically called him a pussy....after the first week of camp. It takes alot for something like that to get out of the locker room.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was going to say it seemed like the offense was'nt suited to him...but yeah...thats basically the same thing as being held back ;)

It says a lot when he outgained Alvin Kamara in 2016 on less carries. I really like Kelly. I felt like I was watching 2016 Todd Gurley this year when he was at Tennessee. The blocking and offensive scheme were terrible and severely holding the kid back.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You have anyone in mind? I don’t think it’s a bad idea to have a guy who can step in and not miss much of a beat with the offense. Lewis is a very good player. I’m not sure you can find a player of his caliber on the 3rd day of the draft.
You realize he’s going to cost a lot of money right? Trying to spread the cap money out and re-sign our FA’s, I’d be pissed if we blew a chunk on a guy I don’t even want on the field

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
You realize he’s going to cost a lot of money right? Trying to spread the cap money out and re-sign our FA’s, I’d be ticked if we blew a chunk on a guy I don’t even want on the field
Why wouldn’t you want more playmakers? If anything, he’s just a backup for us. But he can do as much as Tavon and is more effective. We can easily give him 80-100 touches. He would be worth the what, $6 million per year? There would be no wasted snaps or much of a drop off in production either.

Like I said. It probably won’t happen. He most likely wants to be a starter. But a guy can dream.

Giles27

UDFA
Name
Giles Loveless
We don't need a Chris Thompson. We have a Todd Gurley. We can draft a guy on Day 3 to for that sort of skill-set and use our cap space on a guy who will contribute more. JMO.
Ito smith or Justin Jackson would be my choices.
Gotta have a decent back up just in case TG gets hurt. Never hurts to be prepared

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why wouldn’t you want more playmakers? If anything, he’s just a backup for us. But he can do as much as Tavon and is more effective. We can easily give him 80-100 touches. He would be worth the what, $6 million per year? There would be no wasted snaps or much of a drop off in production either.

Like I said. It probably won’t happen. He most likely wants to be a starter. But a guy can dream.
I want playmakers, but why would I want to take plays away from our best playmaker to do it? And thanks to the salary cap, the Rams have to cut bait with Quinn, to think they use that cap savings for a gadget player? Yikes

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I don't agree with either premise. I think giving him 80 to 100 legit touches would be difficult. Keep in mind that Tavon got touches with Gurley on the field, and Brown got touches when games were over and in Week 17 with Gurley sitting. Plus, $6 million per year for a HB getting 80 to 100 touches is not good value.

This is a deep and talented HB class. We can get a HB for a fraction of the cost who can do plenty well with whatever touches we need. You have to manage your assets well. Cap room is an important asset. Spending $6 million per year on Lewis means sacrificing elsewhere. That could cost us a starting NT or a starting ILB or NRC.

I don't think it's a good idea. I really like John Kelly Jr., but there are many talented HBs in this Draft. We could use a 4th or 5th round pick on a HB and save that money.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I want playmakers, but why would I want to take plays away from our best playmaker to do it? And thanks to the salary cap, the Rams have to cut bait with Quinn, to think they use that cap savings for a gadget player? Yikes
It’s not like the offense is complete yet. They can still improve in certain areas. McVay wants to have the most lethal offense in the league. You could tell that game against the Falcons hurt him. A guy like Lewis would have really helped bring the offense up a notch. I understand you have concerns with the defense. But we have the cap space to sign Donald, Joyner, Watkins and a couple good free agents plus our draft picks. What do we have? $53 million freed up now? I bet Barron gets cut too. Which would bring us to around $60 million. Plenty of money to bring in another piece for our offense.

Take a look at the last 10 Super Bowl winners. Very rarely do they have a do it all, stud RB. Marshawn Lynch, Ray Rice, Rashard Mendenhall? You need multiple pieces and skill players to win the big game. We can’t put it all on Gurleys shoulders or you’ll see a repeat of what happened vs Atlanta.