The NFL's 15 most overpaid players

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...itzRss&utm_campaign=usatodaycomnfl-topstories

The NFL's 15 most overpaid players
Steven Ruiz , USATODAY

1. Joe Flacco, QB Ravens
2017 Cap hit: $24.55 million
Position rank: 1st

It's been four years since Flacco signed his mega deal after leading the Ravens to a Super Bowl, and he's given Baltimore one above-average season over that time. The front office hasn't given him a whole lot of support, but quarterbacks making that much money are supposed to elevate the players around them. Flacco clearly hasn't.

2. Clay Matthews, OLB Packers
2017 Cap hit: $15.07 million
Position rank: 3rd

Matthews' days as an elite pass rusher are long over. You wouldn't know it by looking at his salary. The only outside linebackers making more than him are Justin Houston and Von Miller. Green Bay could have saved a lot of money by moving on from Matthews but decided not to. We'll see if the gamble pays off, but conventional wisdom suggests it won't. His play has declined and he's now on the wrong side of 30.

3. Tavon Austin, WR Rams
2017 Cap hit: $14.97 million

The Rams are paying a decent slot receiver and punt returner No. 1 receiver money. Just a few receivers who are making less than Austin in 2017: Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, A.J. Green … I could keep going but that will only upset Rams fans further.

T4. Brock Osweiler, QB Browns
2017 Cap hit: $16 million
Position rank: 17th

T4. Mike Glennon, QB Bears
2017 Cap hit: $14 million
Position rank: T20th

Desperate teams overpay for quarterbacks. The Bears did not learn from the Texans' mistake in 2016, and gave Glennon, who couldn't beat out Josh McCown in Tampa, about the same money New England pays Tom Brady.

Osweiler, last year's Glennon, will try to resurrect his career in Cleveland after a disastrous season in Houston, during which he looked like one of the worst starting QBs in the league despite playing with a good supporting cast.

6. Jason Witten, TE Cowboys
2017 Cap hit: $12.62 million

The Cowboys are better off with Witten on their roster. He's still a good blocker and a reliable receiver. But he's a league-average tight end (maybe slightly above) at this point in his career. He has no business making more money than guys like Rob Gronkowski and Jordan Reed.

7. Haloti Ngata, DT Lions
2017 Cap hit: $7.7 million
Position rank: 16th

Ngata's play fell off considerably in 2016, and at 33 it's unlikely that he'll be able to rebound and play like the 16th-best defensive tackle in the league. He's still a big body who can help in the run game but offers very little on passing downs. That's where interior rushers make their money these days.

8. Kirk Cousins, QB Redskins
2017 Cap hit: $23.94 million
Position rank: 2nd

Washington did this to themselves. Instead of locking Cousins down to a deal more in line with his talent level years ago, they're now stuck slapping the franchise tag on him for a second consecutive year. Cousins is a decent quarterback whose statistical production is more a product of what's around him than his own abilities. We saw the effects of his big price tag this offseason when the Redskins were forced to move on from DeSean Jackson and Pierre Garcon.

9. Coby Fleener, TE Saints
2017 Cap hit: $7.5 million
Position rank: 6th

Fleener looks like a tight end who should be making top-5 tight end money. There's only one problem: He can't catch the football. When you can't put up an efficient season with Drew Brees feeding you targets, there's a problem.

10. Dez Bryant, WR Cowboys
2017 Cap hit: $17 million

There's no denying Bryant's talent. He's still a legit No. 1 receiver in this league … when healthy. He's struggled to stay on the field in recent years, and even when he is healthy, he's not enough a game-changer to warrant such a big cap hit. There are only a handful of receivers who are.

11. Muhammad Wilkerson, DE Jets
2017 Cap hit: $18 million

Wilkerson's 2016 season was a massive disappointment. There's no reason to doubt a bounce-back year is coming from the Jets' best defensive player, but he's making starting quarterback money. Even at his best, Wilkerson isn't worth that kind of money.

12. Mike Pouncey, C Dolphins
2017 Cap hit: $8.97 million

Pouncey is a good center. He just doesn't play enough games. Over the last four seasons, the Dolphins center has missed 19 games.

13. Jabaal Sheard, DE Colts
2017 Cap hit: $9.96 million
Position rank: 11th

Sheard parlayed one good season under Bill Belichick (and another average one) into a nice little payday with the Colts. He's a decent role player making way too much money at one of the most important positions in football. He's tallied more than eight sacks only once in his career and that was back in 2011.

14. Josh Norman, CB Redskins
2017 Cap hit: $20 million

If you're paying $20 million for a corner, you're expecting to get a guy who can lock down an opponents' No. 1 receiver. After 2016, we know Norman isn't that kind of player. He's just average in man coverage, which makes it difficult for the Redskins to deploy him as a true shutdown corner.

15. Mike Mitchell, S Steelers
2017 Cap hit: $8.13 million

Mitchell is a hard-hitter who is just a little too reckless to be making the kind of money he's getting from Pittsburgh. He gives up far too many big plays and he doesn't force enough turnovers to make up for it. Mitchell isn't even in the top-10 safety discussion but only Devin McCourty and Earl Thomas make more at the position.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
How is Tru is not on the list?

No doubt. Honestly the Rams could be 1 and 2 on that list with Tavon and Trumaine. Flacco is way overpaid, but he's won a Super Bowl and is a QB. Tavon hasn't done a damn thing to live up to his draft status, let alone that ridiculous contract. Hopefully that changes this year, for all our sakes.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Another list where he gets honorable mention, but yeah, I was sure he'd be on it.

No doubt. Honestly the Rams could be 1 and 2 on that list with Tavon and Trumaine. Flacco is way overpaid, but he's won a Super Bowl and is a QB. Tavon hasn't done a damn thing to live up to his draft status, let alone that ridiculous contract. Hopefully that changes this year, for all our sakes.

How is Tru is not on the list?
I was thinking Tru first...and forgot that Tavon was getting MegaTron money...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Another list where he gets honorable mention, but yeah, I was sure he'd be on it.
As soon as I saw the thread title, I thought, "Cool!! A list where we could have 2 of the top 5!!"
Lol

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I could argue for some of these players, Like Matthews, and Pounce, Because they have been great and earned their Contracts. But I have to say I completely agree about ' Josh Norman' He's nothing Special, and definitely over paid!

Ram65

Legend
3. Tavon Austin, WR Rams
2017 Cap hit: $14.97 million

The Rams are paying a decent slot receiver and punt returner No. 1 receiver money. Just a few receivers who are making less than Austin in 2017: Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, A.J. Green … I could keep going but that will only upset Rams fans further.

The contract is unbelievable. Next year it's only 8 million. One of Demoff's ways to take an early hit when it won't hurt as much. TruJo should be on the list. It's hard to believe Clay Mathews has fallen so fast. It will be interesting to see how he responds this year after a down year.

Will Arron Donald be on the list one day?

10. Dez Bryant, WR Cowboys
2017 Cap hit: $17 million

Two injury years in a row makes him over paid. Cowboys were in the franchise tag mode at 12.823 Million in 2015 and gave him 70 Million for 5 years.
https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/7/15/8124905/dez-bryant-cowboys-contract-deal-extension

2014 16 TDs
2013 13 TDS
2012 12 TDS
2011 9 TDs

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Yeah but...but...but Tavon had 10 touchdowns in one season a couple of years ago and caught 58 passes for 509 yards last year...o_O

(while Britt had a career year in the same offense...)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Will Arron Donald be on the list one day?

Now that's a depressing thought. Here's something to cheer us all up...

200w.gif

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Yeah but...but...but Tavon had 10 touchdowns in one season a couple of years ago and caught 58 passes for 509 yards last year...o_O

(while Britt had a career year in the same offense...)

Doesn't matter. Production is production.

In a year where everyone struggled, including the star RB, I'm gonna give a mulligan to Tavon and friends.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

Yeah, the first mistake was trading up for him. The second was giving him that contract when he hasn't done anything to warrant that much. He'll never be a number one type. He's a gimmick guy. He's versatile in things he can do.

Every team needs a guy like that, but they can be had in the middle rounds for a lot less money. We're all hoping it was just a case of the coaching staff not knowing how to use him. I think this is going to be his last shot at being the impact player we though we were getting. If he can't elevate his game with the new staff, I imagine he won't be around when the new stadium opens.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Doesn't matter. Production is production.

In a year where everyone struggled, including the star RB, I'm gonna give a mulligan to Tavon and friends.

Not everyone struggled last season my Ram Brother. Quick and Britt had career years.

Tavon is a world class athlete who has yet to produce like the football player we drafted him to be and is going on his 5th year...

WvuIN02

Starter
Not everyone struggled last season my Ram Brother. Quick and Britt had career years.

Tavon is a world class athlete who has yet to produce like the football player we drafted him to be and is going on his 5th year...
Because your expectations are wrong and are never going to be met. He's not a prototypical #1 and never will be, and wont ever put up those kinds of numbers. Watching this Amazon series shows how utterly incompetent the staff was on offense as well, perhaps people forget the Rams were dead last.

The Rams should have drafted him at a spot at maybe the end of round 1, possibly round 2. And that's from one of his biggest supporters who watched his entire college career. The debate on WVU forums pre-draft was if he would even go in round 1 with his size.

The Snisher regime made some terrible decisions, blame them, not Austin. He is still a special player with the ball in his hands, and can be a contributor with other pieces in place but hes not a #1 nor will he ever be. Those 10 tds were not a fluke, and would have had 3-4 more if not for penalties, but he has to be put in advantageous positions mismatches etc. I wanted Snead gone too, but maybe McVay can have a better impact on roster decisions and will hopefully be able to get the ball to Tavon where it makes sense.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

these articles are so dumb. all they look at are the players salaries this season. they take no account of whatever signing bonus other players have received, guaranteed money, etc. i'd bet my left testicle that tavon isn't getting paid anywhere near what the best wrs are getting from their teams in total money or yearly average.

i have no idea why the rams gave him all that money so soon but it is what it is. it is nowhere near what the browns, julios, ajgs of the nfl get like this clown is trying to make out.

his yearly average is 12th in the league. still not good but he could certainly prove value for money if the new coaching staff know how to use him. bore-ass certainly had no idea what to do with him.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Austin should be cut. Is it a business or isn't it? Production and cost have to meet to create value somewhere.