The Most Boring Play in All of Sports Has Been Changed

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
Memento agreeing with me on the substance:
The NFL doesn't want the PAT to be almost always successful. They said that if the conversion rate is too high this year, they'll move it back another ten yards. They are phasing out the PAT in favor of the TPC. And a TPC at the two yard line is stupid as well. Move it back to the five or ten. Then you'll see some excitement. That's what they want, right? A more exciting game?
I agree with you about this with absolutely no reservations. It's a slippery slope that we shouldn't be going down. I was merely pointing out that it will affect and complicate your decisions about what you'll do after you score a TD. Is that more interesting? Probably but that doesn't mean I want to change how we're doing it now. Would placing poisonous snakes along the sidelines make it more interesting and exciting? Probably but would it still be football? You and I both believe that their underlying reasoning behind this move is FAULTY! (y)

Like you, I want football to still be football and the game has changed so much in the last few decades that I'm not sure it's the same game. I still like it but it's not the game I grew up with and making UNNECESSARY (changes that aren't making it safer to play) changes is stupid and possibly counterproductive in the long run.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Lol, my ex wife's half brother is in that wreck of a movie.

Your take on the spike rule sucks btw.
200.gif
Oh yeah? Which character?

Your take on the spike rule is primitive, btw.

xh2cbNO.jpg

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Oh yeah? Which character?

Your take on the spike rule is primitive, btw.

xh2cbNO.jpg

I'm going to use that ape pic as a contact icon on my phone for someone

EDIT
I'm going to use it as the wallpaper on my phone too LOL

Last edited:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-on-extra-points-if-its-not-broke-why-fix-it/

Adam Vinatieri on extra points: If it’s not broke, why fix it?
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 20, 2015
7f8757d61db46584f91225b9fae63c39.jpeg
AP

No active player has kicked as many extra points as Adam Vinatieri. And in the process of kicking 710 extra points in his career, Vinatieri has never seen any need to change them.

So after the NFL decided this week to move extra point kicks back 13 yards, Vinatieri has one question: Why?

“I’m a traditionalist,” Vinatieri said. “Unless something’s broke, why fix it? But obviously people thought something was broke. We’ll deal with it, and we’ll just continue to move forward. Kickers have continued to adapt and get better with different k-ball rules and moving the balls back on kickoffs and all that stuff a while ago. We’ll just adapt and move forward with it.”

Vinatieri said that extra points, which are now the equivalent of 33-yard field goals, will still be pretty easy. But he did acknowledge that outdoor kicks in winter might be a little tougher.

“With good conditions inside, I don’t think it changes a whole lot. But late in the year when fields can get crummy or the weather can get crummy, it might change things,” he said.

Although Vinatieri would prefer just to leave well enough alone, he expected the change. And he expects more changes to the extra point rules if kickers continue to make 99 percent of their extra points this season.

“We’ll see how much this changes things. If they don’t think it changes it enough, they’ll continue,” Vinatieri said.

Vinatieri is right about that: The NFL is likely to continue tinkering with the extra point until it’s something less than a gimme for NFL kickers. And for NFL kickers, a 33-yard kick is still a gimme.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/20/farewell-to-the-drop-kick/

Farewell to the drop kick
Posted by Mike Florio on May 20, 2015

flutie.jpg
Getty Images

During the final game of his football career, quarterback Doug Flutie converted a one-point PAT with a drop kick. We hadn’t seen it since 1941, we haven’t seen it since, and we likely won’t see it again.

Despite speculation in some circles that the new rules will allow a team that opts to go for two points from the two to kick a one-point drop kick, the league office informs PFT that one point can be earned via drop kick only by a snap from the 15.

Which means that we probably won’t be seeing a drop kick again. Not that we would have seen another drop kick under the prior rules anyway.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I dunno. I kind of like the ability to stop the clock without burning a T.O.
Especially when it benefits the Rams in a last minute drive.
Seems that more often than not we are the ones on the short end of those but that could just be my bitter memories.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Some funny shit in this thread.

I'm just thankful they rejected the cheatriots suggestion.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i don't understand why they want to allow the d score on the conversions. i mean the opposition just scored a td. why do they want to award the d with any possible points? it's just illogical.

Alan

Legend
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...a-point-rule-may-not-change-much-for-coaches/
New extra point rule may not change things much for coaches
Posted by Mike Florio on May 20, 2015, 8:22 PM EDT
coin.jpg

The rule that moves the one-point extra point from the two to the 15 changes things for kickers. It also changes things for coaches.

Unless it doesn’t.

Dropping the success rate of the one-point attempt from 99-plus percent to 95 percent likely won’t be enough to persuade most coaches to defy convention. Because coaches stubbornly refuse to defy convention.

Coaches never get criticized by outsiders — or scrutinized by their owners — when coaches make conventional decisions that fail. In contrast, making unconventional decisions that fail will eventually make a football coach into a former football coach.

Even if the risk-reward analysis suggests that it makes sense to go for two all the time, most coaches won’t do it. Most coaches will keep going for one and going for one and going for one until the circumstances of the game make going for two the conventional move.

To get more coaches to go for two, going for two needs to become the conventional thing to do. And that won’t happen by making going for two and going for one a statistical wash. To change the conventional wisdom, going for two must become the significantly more attractive option — which means that going for one must become the significantly less attractive option.

That means moving the two-point try to the one and/or moving the one-point try back to the point where it’s not a 95-percent certainty but something like a 75-percent proposition.

After a year with the new rule, the NFL likely will realize this, and if the NFL is intent on making the post-touchdown process more exciting, the NFL likely will make even more changes.

RamzFanz

Damnit
NFC West

Arizona Cardinals

With all of his other quarterbacks injured, Bruce Arians sends Logan Thomas onto the field for a two-point conversion with four tight ends and a fullback. Arians then orders Thomas to kneel so a negative play does not impede his development.

St. Louis Rams

Teams load up to stuff inside handoffs to Todd Gurley, and nothing else works when the Rams go for two. "Dang it, can't anyone around here draw up a pass play that gains exactly two yards?" Jeff Fisher screams on the sideline. Somewhere in Georgia, Brian Schottenheimer switches off his television and grins.

San Francisco 49ers

As the ball is being snapped for an extra point, both holder Andy Lee and kicker Phil Dawson suddenly retire. The ball bounces to a stop near midfield. No one bothers chasing it.

Seattle Seahawks

Marshawn Lynch, Russell Wilson and Jimmy Graham pound out over a dozen regular-season two-point conversions with plunges, options, and back-of-the-end-zone jump balls. Then, in the Super Bowl? A weird pass into heavy traffic to David Gilreath which is easily intercepted, followed by two months of passionate justification.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2471021-thirty-two-new-extra-point-strategies-for-32-teams

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
NEWSFLASH-
AP- Via Pete Sureya- This just in, in an unprecedented move, NFL has voted unanimously to overturn the rule regarding kicking extrapoint that was just instituted.
"We looked at it from all angles, a spokesman said, and in fairness of the game we felt that the extra point needed to have more relevance."
The rule as it stand now will still be from the 2 yard line however the kicker must partake in 15 seconds of a dizy bat race prior to kick off.
Demonstrations of the pre kick are as follows:
3650042_o.gif

As always, we look forward to bringing a more exciting NFL!!

#noahbody

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-rule-criticized-over-player-safety-concerns/

New extra point rule criticized over player safety concerns
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 21, 2015

Most rules changes the NFL has adopted in recent years have been part of a broader effort to make the game safer. But some say the league’s new extra point rule will increase injuries.

Now that extra point kicks will be 13 yards longer, and blocked kicks can be returned by the defense for two points, there have been questions raised about whether we’ll see an increase in injuries suffered on extra points.

“Being on field goal protection is probably the worst job in football. I know that and all my linemen know that,” Bills kicker Dan Carpenter said on SiriusXM NFL Radio. “Well now they just went from a play that there weren’t too many collisions to a play now where not only is the defense coming to take that one point off, but also to add a chance to add two more to their score. For a sport that was trying to cut back on collisions, I think that you’re probably just going to add a few more on those situations.”

It is true that a blocked extra point returned the other way is a play that has the potential to cause an injury. But those plays will be so infrequent that it seems unlikely that injuries will increase significantly. Carpenter’s concern sounds like a reach.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ill-make-cold-weather-games-more-interesting/

Matt Bryant: PAT change will make cold-weather games more interesting
Posted by Josh Alper on May 21, 2015

Falcons kicker Matt Bryant doesn’t have to worry about weather during home games played in a dome, which shouldn’t make the change in extra points too much of an issue for him in 2015.

Bryant said moving the line of scrimmage back to the 15-yard line isn’t a “big deal” to him, but he does think it has the potential to be a big deal for kickers who do their work outdoors in cold-weather stadiums. Bryant said he thinks the rule change “can make things interesting” in places like Buffalo, Chicago and Cleveland because of the impact that the elements could have on big kicks that we’ve taken for granted.

“A 33-yarder, it’s not the hardest kick in the world. It’s not a gimme, either,” Bryant said, via ESPN.com. “You’re talking about possibly having to tie a game and it’s 34-33 and you’ve got to kick it to tie it and possibly go into overtime. That will make things interesting for those teams. How bad would that to be to miss the playoffs because of a 33-yard extra point? It will make things interesting for those teams up there, I would say.”

Giants kicker Josh Brown shares some of Bryant’s thoughts and said he thinks it will add value to kickers who prove themselves reliable in the elements. That may be true, although it seems at least as likely that kickers with a high percentage of makes will continue to draw less attention than those who miss in big spots.

RamBill

Legend
For most part, Greg Zuerlein should be unfazed by extra point changes
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...lein-should-be-unfazed-by-extra-point-changes

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- One of the pieces of business that was taken care of at the owners meetings this week in San Francisco was the league's decision to officially change the extra-point procedure.

Under the new rules, extra-point kicks will now be tried with a line of scrimmage at the 15-yard line. That means that the extra point will now be the equivalent of a 32 or 33-yard field goal instead of the 19 or 20 yards it was in the past. That's still a pretty easy kick but it does make for a little more drama and it could really change things in cold-weather, outdoor stadiums late in the season.

It shouldn't, however, have much of an impact on the performance of St. Louis Rams kicker Greg Zuerlein. Zuerlein has had struggles in his career on grass but with the advantage of eight home games in the Edward Jones Dome and his own consistency inside 40 yards, Zuerlein should be just fine when the Rams opt to attempt extra points moving forward.

Since entering the league in 2012, Zuerlein has attempted six field goals from 32 or 33 yards away. He's made all of them. Taking it a step further, Zuerlein has attempted 48 field goals from 39 yards during his three seasons and he's converted 43 of them.

It is also worth noting that Zuerlein missed an extra point against the Washington Redskins last year from the shorter distance. In fairness, that miss came on a sloppy field but a missed extra point is rare enough that it bears mentioning. That's been a problem for Zuerlein in general in his first three seasons. All five of his misses inside 40 yards have come on grass, including two in Washington to go with the missed extra point.

It's those types of conditions that made Rams coach Jeff Fisher wary of changing the extra-point rules in the first place. Speaking at February's NFL combine, Fisher made it clear he didn't like the idea because of the different weather and conditions team face in various cities.

"Personally I don't want to kick a 19-yard field goal to win a game, and then miss a 35-yard extra point in Green Bay when it's 20 degrees to lose a game," Fisher said. "So that's my position. I think it would be too drastic of a change, me personally."

But the change has been made and the Rams will have to deal with it. That's the bad news. The good news is that Zuerlein has proved more than capable of making such kicks on a consistent basis so long as the conditions are right.

4mation0

UDFA
After quite a bit of scientific investigation, I have uncovered convincing proof that the most boring play in sports is, in fact, the intentional walk. In fact, come to think of it, the intentional walk is the four most boring plays in all of sports....