The L.A. Coliseum, Home of the Rams, Is the Best Stadium in the Whole NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I will say, the Coliseum has the best turf....but as for a stadium experience....walking up those steps...sitting in those stands...the bathroom line for men....I thought that was a women's line thing...the flooding...the heat...

I still love seeing 90,000+ in the place...but only from my couch at home. LOL

RedRam

Pro Bowler
I will say, the Coliseum has the best turf....but as for a stadium experience....walking up those steps...sitting in those stands...the bathroom line for men....I thought that was a women's line thing...the flooding...the heat...

I haven't had much issue with any of that save for the heat. I am looking forward to the weather cooling off a bit. I wasn't in my season seats last Saturday but rather the opposite corner that doesn't get any relief from the sun until it essentially goes down. That adversely impacted me and my beer! But, as always (almost), the sun set and it was a beautiful evening in LA.

My legs were feeling the steps for a few days after the game but that's on me for being a lazy freaker and not getting to the rink to play and/or workout. I'll be changing that soon as I now have dental coverage again! ;):yess:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

But the Coliseum is wonderful in a late January Ram's playoff game....:rockon:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I was disappointed to hear the new stadium will be artificial turf. That's not LA Rams to me.

I thought it was real grass.......maybe they are going with turf because concerts destroy a playing field and I'm sure the venue will be hosting plenty of shows. But they could cover the lawn with a hard surface like I've seen in some places.

USC reveals plans for $270 million Coliseum renovation and restoration
USC revealed renderings of the plans to renovate and restore Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

The Coliseum is getting a face lift.

USC unveiled its proposed plans for a $270 million renovation and restoration project to the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum on Thursday.

If approved, construction will begin after the 2017 season and is expected to be completed in time for the 2019 season without impacting the Trojans' 2018 home schedule.

The renovation and restoration comes as part of the school's long-term lease agreement for the Coliseum, which includes a guarantee to invest $100 million in improvements by 2054.

According to a school release, the planned renovations include replacing every seat in the stadium and installing handrails, building a new southside building for the press box and club seating, restoring the iconic peristyle, updating Wi-Fi technology and installing new lighting.

“We are committed to providing our players, coaches and fans with one of the best facilities in the nation," USC athletic director Pat Haden said. "This needed renovation to a stadium built in 1923 will ensure that the game-day experience gives all fans options to enjoy the stadium’s new amenities while recognizing the loyalty of our long-time fans. It also will provide our football team with a first-class facility and a home field advantage.”

Check out renderings of the renovations below via the school's official site, www.ColiseumRenovation.com.

USC-Renovations-640-333-2.png

The proposed new exterior for the Coliseum. (USC Athletics)

USC-Renovations-640-230-3.png

Proposed renovations for the Coliseum. (USC Athletics)

USC-Renovations-640-330-1.png

USC unveiled its renovation plans for the Coliseum. (USC Athletics)

Wasn't Kroenke going to kick in some money too? I thought that was part of his agreement. Am I confused?

They also need a parking structure to support 80-90,000 people. In this day and age, having to park in peoples front yards to see an event there, is not cool.

I agree it makes sense to do that.

I lived in Indianapolis for a little while and during the time trials and the race if you drive to the track the traffic is crawling and bumper to bumper and it looks like a sea of cars because every lawn and driveway is totally full. So between the traffic and the parked cars all you can see are the houses, trees and cars. It's really a spectacle, surreal. It goes on for several days because the event is so popular. Carburetion Day is the final day for practice laps and it draws 200,00 people or more and is essentially it's own event. The race has drawn as many as 350,000.

There is a saying I heard a lot around the time of the race "the world converges on 14th and Georgetown" which is the corner where the track is. I've never seen anything like it in my life. Nothing even that compared. It's just crazy to see it.

Old stadiums like that are usually dumps. I was in Memorial Stadium in Cleveland a few times and I've always told people that you didn't need to ask which way the bathrooms were, just follow the smell. It was awful sometimes. Especially when the World Series of Rock was packing the place in the middle of summer. In the bathrooms themselves a lot of people would hold their shirt over their nose and mouth.

Those were great all day concerts though. If you Google it you'll see some lineups that would not be possible today. And the tickets were $7.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Where else in sports can you see fans forgiving their favorite team live? Or not, in some cases. On Saturday, the video board showed a tribute to Jerry Jones, who just got into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Jones was instrumental in moving the Rams to L.A. At the end of tribute, everybody stood up and made noise—call it 70 percent cheers.

In the second quarter, the video board showed a tribute to Kurt Warner, who helped the Rams’ franchise win their one and only Super Bowl title. The Coliseum greeted that tribute with dead silence. Who’s Kurt Warner? I dunno. Some guy who played in St. Louis.

I put that in blue font because this has to be a joke. I became a Rams fan because of Kurt (Jonram99).
How many sat silent in their seats in LA? Not even a golf clap? classless.

UtahRam

Rookie
No one cheered for the Warner tribute?? A bunch of these RAMS "fans" would have been Chargers fans if the RAMS had stayed in St. Louis and only the Chargers moved to LA. Most fans are territorial. It's all about the city they live in. You don't see as much of that in the many online forums as here and there you will find more people who like the team for other reasons such as they were the team they liked as a child or the team their Dad rooted for when they were young, etc. Nowadays I bet you'd get razzed a few times in the Coliseum if you wore a St. Louis RAMS jacket to a game. The person doing the razzing may or may not be drunk.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No one cheered for the Warner tribute?? A bunch of these RAMS "fans" would have been Chargers fans if the RAMS had stayed in St. Louis and only the Chargers moved to LA. Most fans are territorial. It's all about the city they live in. You don't see as much of that in the many online forums as here and there you will find more people who like the team for other reasons such as they were the team they liked as a child or the team their Dad rooted for when they were young, etc. Nowadays I bet you'd get razzed a few times in the Coliseum if you wore a St. Louis RAMS jacket to a game. The person doing the razzing may or may not be drunk.
Oh well, every fanbase has @ssholes

threesox84

3rd Generation Ramwagoner
Name
Greg
:rolllaugh::rolllaugh::rolllaugh::rolllaugh::rolllaugh::rolllaugh::rolllaugh::rolllaugh::rolllaugh:

What a joke. The Colesium is a troglydite. Restrooms urnals leak, don't flush, the drinking fountains don't work, water leaks from pipes. Long lines for beer and hot dogs.

That's probably because the Coliseum installed waterless urinals several years ago (y'know, record-setting drought and all). You'll find the same thing at Staples Center, the Forum, the Rose Bowl, etc.

Anyway I beg you to show a little more respect, my horned-brother. The Coliseum is a 94-year-old Olympic Track and Field stadium. She was never designed to host a 21st-century NFL team six years shy of her 100th birthday.

I think that's the author's point -- going to a Rams game at what is literally a historical site is an incredibly unique experience with a finite expiration date. Warts and all, enjoy it while it lasts.

Plus the Coliseum is the Rams' longest running home field by a factor of almost 2x. They played nearly 21 seasons at the St. Louis Dome, 15 seasons at the Angels' baseball stadium, and nine years at various fields in Cleveland. By the time they move to Inglewood in 2020 they'll have played almost 40 years at the Coliseum.

For perspective, the Rams (even before moving back in 2016) had already played more seasons at the Coliseum than the Lakers did at the Fabulous Forum.