The Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Joeluke9

Rookie
Well since it appears that our draft is complete, what do you guys think I our picks? Who was your favorite and least favorite pick? What overall grade do you give our draft? What would you have done differently, etc... Personally I would give us a B or B+

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Joeluke9 said:
Well since it appears that our draft is complete, what do you guys think I our picks? Who was your favorite and least favorite pick? What overall grade do you give our draft? What would you have done differently, etc... Personally I would give us a B or B+
It's hard to evaluate the 5th round picks, because I don't know much about them...

But through round 4...A/A+ Rams are now significantly better than they were two days ago. The Rams are on the rise

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Incomplete. Despite all their potential, they are all still rookies and will need developing.

I'm hoping they can make a difference early, especially the 1st rounders. With no 2nd round pick (which they could've had by not trading up) they will have to carry some of the bulk.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
My initial grade is a solid B.

I felt it was very good,with the exception of not recouping a 2nd rd pick with the Atlanta trade. Alot of talent flew off the board in the 2nd rd.

Still,i love that we went and got Tavon,landed Ogletree,got a physical guy with TJ Mac,stole Steadman Bailey and added depth to the OLine,secondary and offensive backfield with Z.Stacy.

My favorite pick(s):
Tavon Austin-exactly what this offense/ST needed. Speed,elusiveness,playmaking,home run ability.
Ogletree-excactly what this already good defense needed. Speed and sideline to sideline pursuit.

My least favorite pick:
TJ McDonald-I like the potential,intelligence and the physical nature of this kid...but i just felt that we needed more of a cover-type guy with more range.

My sleeper pick:
Steadman Bailey-I really love what i've seen and heard from him. I have a feeling he's going to make a huge impact for us sooner rather than later. His style reminds me of another former Rams WR...but i'll reserve the right to keep hush hush on that for now...LOL.

I thought it was an outstanding draft,but alot of excellent prospects went between our #30 pick and our #71. I liked the OT Menelik Watson,RB's G.Bernard,LeVeon Bell,LB Arthur Brown....but i digress. We landed Tavon Austin!
Great draft
B

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'm a homer, but based on potential I'd say it's an A... We filled the holes we needed, got a lot faster on both offense and defense... It's going to depend on how they play of course, but if they play to potential, I think all picks will contribute for the team.. If Jones gets healthy and can stay there, he can be a long term answer on the line... He McGee, and Stacy are probably the only two that wont be starting/getting significant playing time week 1... And that's mostly because he's injured, and the other two are depth.

lockdnram21

Legend
I disagree I think stacy will be starting and richardson will be change of pace again.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
lockdnram21 said:
I disagree I think stacy will be starting and richardson will be change of pace again.
Stacy >Pead?
Whats your thinking there?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I just realized that I got three players out of my last draft right (McDonald, Bailey, and Stacy). That alone gives it an A+. :ww:

But seriously, I quite enjoyed the fact that we went up to get Austin, who is undeniably a dynamic playmaker and then traded down, got more picks, and still got our guy in Ogletree, who we could've picked at #22 without anyone complaining. If Ogletree gets his head screwed on right (which I think he can), he'll be a brilliant compliment to Laurinaitis.

McDonald and Stewart are going to murder people on the field, although I think that McDonald might have been drafted a round too early. Bailey is going to be a solid compliment to what we already have, and could be a great young player to keep an eye on.

Barrett Jones was a steal at where we got him. There were mocks who had him going to us in the first round, and he can literally play every position on the line. He's a tough son-of-a-bitch, too, and he fits with what Fisher wants from his O-line. I like Zac Stacy a lot as a prospect. He may be small, but the guy runs with so much power, and he was insanely productive at Vanderbilt. He's a very intelligent player, very strong for his size, and I think he'll be a very solid compliment to Richardson and Pead.

The only player I'm not exactly fond of is Brandon McGee, especially since Bacarri Rambo was still on the board. He has the natural talent, but I'm not sure that we needed a cornerback more than we needed to double down on safety in case Darian Stewart falters. In fact, I'm quite shocked that Rambo even lasted this long, so I'm surprised that the Rams didn't jump on him, especially since they showed interest at the Senior Bowl. McGee is quite unpolished as well, and I don't know if he's an upgrade over Pointer.

All in all, I like this draft a lot. I'll give it a solid A-/B+ because I trust Snisher with these picks.

F. Mulder

Starter
I gave it a B/B+. The trade for Austin worked out great. If you go into round 1 and say: would you take Austin and Ogletree and basically give up a 2nd and some late shuffling most would say "hell ya".

I hate the McDonald pick. I understand the concept of box safety etc but there were tons of box safety types who probably were as good as him later in the draft. What you needed was a free safety. I think Thomas' injuries were and issue. Not sure about Rambo but obviously major red flags somewhere. etc. I think McDonald can be a nice box Safety (and I don't see QM coming back with this pick. Instead they will go 1-2 more Safeties via UDFA) but where he was picked was too early. I love the Bailey pick. He is a faster, stronger, Brandon Gibson who can put it in the end zone.

Love B. Jones. Like some said, he is like a Bruce Mathews (or Jeff Saturday for me). Tenacious, smart, technician. We all love maulers but if your mauler misses an assignment and your QB is lost for the season you don't love maulers as much. I see him as a Center down the road.

Hated the Mcgee pick. Even if they liked him there was nobody going to leap-frog them for a CB who is primarily a special teamer. The only thing I think THEY see is someone who was poorly coached who has the talent (which he seems to have) and can play ST while developing it. If they were going to trade the rest of their draft for Stacey (who I love) why not pick Stacey in McGee's spot and let the rest of the draft play out.?

I'm not a draft geek by any stretch, just my .02. I think A drafts are thrown around too easily. Love being proved wrong. Lord knows I am enough. :grr:

jap

Legend
bluecoconuts said:
I'm a homer, but based on potential I'd say it's an A... We filled the holes we needed, got a lot faster on both offense and defense... It's going to depend on how they play of course, but if they play to potential, I think all picks will contribute for the team.. If Jones gets healthy and can stay there, he can be a long term answer on the line... He McGee, and Stacy are probably the only two that wont be starting/getting significant playing time week 1... And that's mostly because he's injured, and the other two are depth.

Oh, McGee will be getting special team time - you can bet your life on that! This is a guy timed at 4.3 at the combine who was upset with his time because he "knew" he could run in the 4.2's. He was a gunner for his team and one of the team captains.

bluecoconuts

Legend
jap said:
bluecoconuts said:

Oh, McGee will be getting special team time - you can bet your life on that! This is a guy timed at 4.3 at the combine who was upset with his time because he "knew" he could run in the 4.2's. He was a gunner for his team and one of the team captains.

Oh yeah, I know he'll get time on ST, dude is fast as hell.