The Defense had a bad day but the Refs tilted the scales

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here is how I saw the referee coverage in this game. It's the subjective calls that ruin games and literally ruin sports. I can't watch the NBA anymore, because Michael Jordan travelled 780 times in his career and got called for 3 of them. When the refs call a "personal foul" for talking....excuse me? There were at least 5 taunting calls that COULD have been made, but they chose a highly leveraged situation to "make the call" against one team. They were both jawing, so back off Tru, he was in a heated battle all day with Jeffery. You CANT call that right there unless it is offsetting. You may say Tru was using more foul language than a Jeffery, then turn out the lights, the NFL is giving every ref an opportunity to tilt outcomes. The leveraging call was an absolute phantom call, also against the Rams.we lost over 2 minutes of playing time because of that call. And the last subjective blue ribbon call goes to the official that ruled that Foles was "in the grasp" instead of illegal touching. If that's the case, then take away 3 of the Eagles first downs, because Wentz threw some passes as he was in the grasp. Too many nooks and crannies for officials to change a game, and today all of the Twilight Zone calls were against the Rams.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Such a system with competent AI and properly articulated algorithms wouldn’t call a penalty on every play.

Self-driving cars can find there way even without marked roads.

As always, the devil is in the details...
My point was, there's a penalty being committed on every play. Sure you could program said system to ignore half of them, or determine whether a penalty would have affected the outcome of the play, but that's not what I was going for. Because it's fantasy.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Not every fan of every team. Eagles fans aren't complaining about the refs today.
They were in real time. We typically drop the officiating complaint by the day after a win too. But, they won. So they no longer care.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Second half defense was really good . They made the right adjustments at half time, alot of sloppy plays and stupid penalties cost them this win . .no looking back they need to win this next game

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The refs didn’t give up 29 first downs, 455 yards of total offense and weren’t the ones who couldn’t keep Nick Friggin Foles from making 1st downs.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The defense needs to play better, but they could have used a little help from the so-called home field crowd. In all my years of watching football, I have never seen or heard of a WINNING team in such a huge game at home minus any home field advantage. That was crazy.:puke:

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
That need to do better in the first half. It's great they make adjustments and ball out in second halves, but there is two halves to a game.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The refs didn’t give up 29 first downs, 455 yards of total offense and weren’t the ones who couldn’t keep Nick Friggin Foles from making 1st downs.
They sure extended drives and helped Philly put up those numbers. The ref's aren't totally to blame. But I'm not sure how anybody could say this game the ref's didn't make a bunch of questionable at best calls that affected the Rams.

bluecoconuts

Legend
My point was, there's a penalty being committed on every play. Sure you could program said system to ignore half of them, or determine whether a penalty would have affected the outcome of the play, but that's not what I was going for. Because it's fantasy.

What about a system where the game carries as normal, but any penalty that results in a first down, or anything like that is quickly reviewed by a booth ref to determine if it's a good call. They can review it while the refs are going over it, doesn't add any time to the game because you're not making new penalties, you're also not worried about the easy ones like an offsides, etc. So a ref calls whatever leverage bullshit on the kick, booth guy says no, flag is picked up.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They sure extended drives and helped Philly put up those numbers. The ref's aren't totally to blame. But I'm not sure how anybody could say this game the ref's didn't make a bunch of questionable at best calls that affected the Rams.
Always happens when teams lose. "Refs screwed us!!"
BTW, the Eagles had 10 penalties called on them, Rams 6. Amazing how their penalties were deserved though....

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
BTW, the Eagles had 10 penalties called on them, Rams 6. Amazing how their penalties were deserved though....
You're right the rest of us are just imagining things.

Ellard80

Legend

A lot of the 3rd down and longs we gave up were lack of pressure.. those killed us.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
What about a system where the game carries as normal, but any penalty that results in a first down, or anything like that is quickly reviewed by a booth ref to determine if it's a good call. They can review it while the refs are going over it, doesn't add any time to the game because you're not making new penalties, you're also not worried about the easy ones like an offsides, etc. So a ref calls whatever leverage bullcrap on the kick, booth guy says no, flag is picked up.
Make it so.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What about a system where the game carries as normal, but any penalty that results in a first down, or anything like that is quickly reviewed by a booth ref to determine if it's a good call. They can review it while the refs are going over it, doesn't add any time to the game because you're not making new penalties, you're also not worried about the easy ones like an offsides, etc. So a ref calls whatever leverage bullcrap on the kick, booth guy says no, flag is picked up.

There is enough time in between plays for someone onsite to review each penalty and it still wouldn't add much time to a game. 45 seconds from when the ball is spotted, plus the time from when the ref blows the whistle. It's about a minute. It could be done.

Stop the snap before the next play and correct the call regardless of what the 45 second play clock has gone down to.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...maine-johnson-alshon-jeffery-penalty-week-14/

Rams CB says Trumaine Johnson was flagged for 'talking football' with Alshon Jeffery

One of the biggest storylines from Sunday’s game was the Rams’ lack of discipline. They were flagged seven times for 102 yards, costing themselves valuable yardage on both offense and defense.

One of the biggest calls of the game came in the third quarter when Trumaine Johnson was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct after an incompletion to Alshon Jeffery. It was a great play by Johnson, but he briefly stood over Jeffery and appeared to exchange words with the receiver.

The play cost the Rams 15 yards on a crucial third-and-9 from the 33-yard line, meaning the Eagles would have had to attempt a 50-yard field goal if not for the penalty.

Nickell Robey-Coleman came to Johnson’s defense after the game to say he wasn’t even talking trash to Jeffery.

Rams CB Nickell Robey-Coleman, on Trumaine Johnson's penalty: "They weren't even talking trash; they were just talking football and they threw the flag."

That was undoubtedly one of the biggest moments of the game because of the way it shifted the balance. Eight plays and two penalties later, the Eagles scored a touchdown to take a 31-28 lead.

Even Jeffery said after the game that there wasn’t any extra trash talking going on between him and Johnson.

“No, I mean we know each other,” he said. “I mean when he makes a play, he’s going to make some noise. When I make a play, I’m going to make some noise, so it is what it is.”

Fair or not, the Rams cost themselves multiple times with unnecessary penalties. Samson Ebukam was flagged 15 yards for a late hit, which was far worse than Johnson’s infraction. They simply need to be more disciplined despite the fact that Johnson should have never been penalized.

As for Sean McVay’s take on the flag, he says the officials told him Jeffery and Johnson had been going back and forth throughout the game.

“They said that these guys had been talking, going back and forth and there had been some warnings going on and that was the decision that the side judge made and those are things that we have to respect,” he said after the loss.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Dude, we're talkin about the refs????

The way you fix it is with full-time refs that train together in the off-season and specify how to call a game consistently.
Full time....head officials...pick their squads too....and pay these men...
also want an age requirement...and don't have guys that all live in say, Baltimore, on the same ref squad...
totally agree.
As we saw today, the Rams do not have a playoff caliber defense.
This...main reason we lost...Tru gets a penalty...OK...stop them...turn it over...do something....or, shut the fuck up and play :60 mins of football...

Those were key plays...I thought the hold on someone...on the Gurley run...on the 2nd drive was huge...could have gone up 10 -0 or 14-0....nope, we punted and Philly scored...If the game is getting called tight, shut the fuck up and play.

we need better corners...better linebackers....and a couple run stuffing DT's...

we need some big game players on O....I think Gurley is one...

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nice strawman
Third and long deep pass to Alston. TruJo gets his head around and plays the ball with a nice deflection. Not good enough he gets hit with dpi that even the announcers say was questionable. Philly gets 7 free points.

Third and goal TruJo makes another good play. Both players who were warned earlier to stop but only one guy gets a flag instead of both players and down replayed. Net result Philly gets 4 free points.

Gurley busts a long run getting the Rams into Philly territory. Nope Sully gets called for a weak holding call. If they'd called the whole game with this bing a penalty there would have been 40 holding calls. Result our drive stalls no chance at points.

At least an 11 if not 14 point swing with bad calls.

I lost count of the number of times Aaron Donald had their LG wrap his arm around ADs head with no calls.

Sorry I am tired of typing these out so take sorry I was short resulting in that silly straw man comment. The refs were beyond bad yesterday. Rams had six penalties for 102 yards which resulted in 6 first downs. There's six drives extended by the zebras. Philly had 10 penalties for 67 yards Rams got 3 first downs from them.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...maine-johnson-alshon-jeffery-penalty-week-14/

Rams CB says Trumaine Johnson was flagged for 'talking football' with Alshon Jeffery

One of the biggest storylines from Sunday’s game was the Rams’ lack of discipline. They were flagged seven times for 102 yards, costing themselves valuable yardage on both offense and defense.

One of the biggest calls of the game came in the third quarter when Trumaine Johnson was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct after an incompletion to Alshon Jeffery. It was a great play by Johnson, but he briefly stood over Jeffery and appeared to exchange words with the receiver.

The play cost the Rams 15 yards on a crucial third-and-9 from the 33-yard line, meaning the Eagles would have had to attempt a 50-yard field goal if not for the penalty.

Nickell Robey-Coleman came to Johnson’s defense after the game to say he wasn’t even talking trash to Jeffery.

Rams CB Nickell Robey-Coleman, on Trumaine Johnson's penalty: "They weren't even talking trash; they were just talking football and they threw the flag."

That was undoubtedly one of the biggest moments of the game because of the way it shifted the balance. Eight plays and two penalties later, the Eagles scored a touchdown to take a 31-28 lead.

Even Jeffery said after the game that there wasn’t any extra trash talking going on between him and Johnson.

“No, I mean we know each other,” he said. “I mean when he makes a play, he’s going to make some noise. When I make a play, I’m going to make some noise, so it is what it is.”

Fair or not, the Rams cost themselves multiple times with unnecessary penalties. Samson Ebukam was flagged 15 yards for a late hit, which was far worse than Johnson’s infraction. They simply need to be more disciplined despite the fact that Johnson should have never been penalized.

As for Sean McVay’s take on the flag, he says the officials told him Jeffery and Johnson had been going back and forth throughout the game.

“They said that these guys had been talking, going back and forth and there had been some warnings going on and that was the decision that the side judge made and those are things that we have to respect,” he said after the loss.
This is no time for some common sense or honesty how dare you! This is a blame TruJo party no place for truth here!

That was sarcasm by the way thank you for posting what I've been saying for far too long.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's somewhat encouraging though. The penalties help explain the time of possession difference and yardage.

The Rams actually had more yards per play - the main difference in this game offensively was the first downs by penalty.

The encouraging thing from a defensive standpoint was that we gave the Eagles most of their points - even if you agree with all the penalties, the two PI calls and the unsportsman like on TruJo are all avoidable in the future, and none of those passes were going to be caught IMO. The Eagles did make some plays offensively, obviously, but not as many as you'd think given their total yardage.