The backside shoulder pass

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I meant to post this a week or so ago...

I recently watched a New Orleans preseason game (week one I think) and Brees (plus his backup) completed like 4 backside shoulder passes for big gains. Backside shoulder passes... balls intentionally under-thrown to the WR catching the CB over-running the ball.

Why don't we do this?

It would be a perfect pass play for someone like Quick.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
albefree69 said:
Are you sure those throws were under-thrown on purpose? :bg:

:lmao:

Well... it looked to me by design... :cool:

V3

Hall of Fame
My guess is that since Quick has problems whenever anyone gets in his face the Rams don't want to try it. They obviously don't trust him yet because he still can't get any reps with the ones. As to why they don't at least try it with a different WR, that I have no idea.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I suspect we'll be doing that a lot more this season. Bradford and Clayton used to hook up on that a bit, as did Alexander. Danario, though, used to spin his whole body around and jump up to catch the ball. Kinda unorthodox, but that's what worked for him.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I think the whole "back shoulder pass" term was a invented by QBs to explain away some of their mistakes. :thbbt:
I think it appeared about the same time that Phil Simms started doing the color announcing in games.

Don't bother to argue with me because whatever you say is wrong.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
CGI_Ram said:

I recently watched a New Orleans preseason game (week one I think) and Brees (plus his backup) completed like 4 backside shoulder passes for big gains. Backside shoulder passes... balls intentionally under-thrown to the WR catching the CB over-running the ball.

Why don't we do this?

Simple, because Sam would be blamed for under-throwing the ball.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
DR RAM said:
CGI_Ram said:

Why don't we do this?

Come on DR... you know what I'm talking about. Why is this not a part of our offense?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
CGI_Ram said:
DR RAM said:
CGI_Ram said:

Why don't we do this?

Come on DR... you know what I'm talking about. Why is this not a part of our offense?
I've seen Sam throw it. It's not really a "part" of your offense, as much as a sight, or game adjustment between a QB, and a receiver that he trusts.

And it has to be against a scheme, where the CB's are playing the hands on one on one coverage, or has his back turned, like how our secondary played with Spags scheme, generally.

Think Justin King.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Hey, CGI, I like the play though. It is a pretty safe throw, because if you don't get it, it sometimes goes out of bounds, and the CB has to fight through you to get it, if he even sees it. Plus, sometimes the receiver will stop, and the DB will just run through him forcing a PI.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
CGI_Ram said:

Why don't we do this?

That's the play that won the Rams the Super Bowl. It's used when DBs are playing in front of WRs to prevent a big play i believe. Bruce as the story goes went to DV and said they are "fronting" me and I think I can beat them. Meaning the coverage was not trailing him but he was behind them, they wee in front. So the throw goes to the other shoulder I guess, like it did on that play.

And the rest is history.

I think in order to do it you have to have a savvy QB and WR or you can't pull it off. Maybe it ends up as an INT otherwise.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
LesBaker said:
CGI_Ram said:

Why don't we do this?

That's the play that won the Rams the Super Bowl. It's used when DBs are playing in front of WRs to prevent a big play i believe. Bruce as the story goes went to DV and said they are "fronting" me and I think I can beat them. Meaning the coverage was not trailing him but he was behind them, they wee in front. So the throw goes to the other shoulder I guess, like it did on that play.

And the rest is history.

I think in order to do it you have to have a savvy QB and WR or you can't pull it off. Maybe it ends up as an INT otherwise.
Almost every team has it, and that (^) is exactly how my high school team ran it. If the DB was 10 -12 yds off, and the route was a deep one, the QB was give me an audible, and he'd just whip it to me at about 12 yards, no arch on the throw.

But there are other ways to use it, like i said when the DB plays the man and not the ball.

In Bree's case, he was just taking advantage of the type of coverage, I think.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
FYI, they are throwing plenty of these in practice, primarily with Pettis. As was stated, this is more a read sort of thing, its not something that they "call" or design the play.

Once again, I realize this has been beaten to death, but its all part of the "vanilla" design of the Preseason. The team you mentioned, (New Orleans in this case) are so much further along in the development of their system, and they are "showing" nothing in these preseason games, that they haven't been running since Brees got there.