The 70's Were A Magic Decade

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
Just to go on - the music nowadays is made for 10 year old girls who can scream at concerts without actually hearing the song

LOL People used to say that about me and the music I sometimes listened to.

That is something my dad use to say when I was a teenager. "First sign of getting old is not liking the music of young people" is what my dad told me more than once.

Hip Hop & Rap aren't my style but I'm not going to be critical of it because I remember how it was with me when I was young. My son grew up with it so it's what he listens to. I don't criticize him I just smile and say "Old ears" as I point to my ears.

Bands from the late 60s like Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, ZZ Top were music of my college days and would confound my parents when they came over to my place and found I was studying while that stuff was blasting. LOL God those were good days!

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Jeez - it only got hot in LA for one week in August (unless you lived in the valley or riverside)
My first apartment out of school was in Sherman Oaks. Had a wall-unit that faced into the 'dining area' and cooled a grand total of about 10 sq ft.

Useless in the summer. Utterly, totally and completely useless...

AZRams

oldnotdead

Legend
My first apartment out of school was in Sherman Oaks.

In the early '70s I lived in Sherman Oaks, the first apt. after I got out of the Navy. On Kester midway between the 405 freeway and Ventura Blvd. Even back then it was overpriced for what you got.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Only other sticker I remember seeing on cars more often were the Zog's Sex Wax bumper-stickers.
In NorCal, I’d see the radio station KOME stickers also on cars.

”Don’t’ Touch that Dial, it’s got KOME on it!” They’d say, lol.

AZRams

In the early '70s I lived in Sherman Oaks, the first apt. after I got out of the Navy. On Kester midway between the 405 freeway and Ventura Blvd. Even back then it was overpriced for what you got.
LOL.

Lived with a roommate in an apt that wasn't quite as old as we were but close. On Hazeltine b/t Riverside & Magnolia across the street from Sherman Oaks Park where, apropos of nothing, in those days Kevin Costner was frequently spotted playing softball.

oldnotdead

Legend
Yeah!! Damn I used to go to that park with my GF. God those were the days. I used to drive my TR6 with the top down on warm summer nights. I worked as night manager of a very nice pool hall a block off Van Nuys Blvd. This was a class place with a dress code. We would have several professional players who would play there.

During the weekdays I worked as an analyst at Standard and Poors in Occidental Center in downtown LA. From the windows, I could see the truck yard my dad who was a truck driver worked out of. He used to haul produce back in the '30s from the South Bay to the produce market in LA. Back then my grandfather had a farm in what is now Torrance growing produce and strawberries. His farm was where Del Amo Mall is today.

I saw my first live professional football team when my dad took me to a Rams game in 1958 in the Coliseum. I remember the year because it was the first year the Dodgers played in LA and the game was played over the baseball field. My dad won the tickets at work in a raffle. My older brother was a baseball fanatic so it was my dad and I. That game was when I really became a Ram fan. The game was in November and the Rams demolished the Niners fifty something to 7. LOL

My GF and I used to cruise Ventura Blvd to Topanga Canyon then I would roar through the canyon out to PCH. Our favorite beaches were Leo Carrillo and W. Zuma. Other times we would cruise through Simi Valley and Santa Rosa Rd and cut across the farmland to PCH coming out on PCH by Pt Mugu. We would cruise PCH to what was then called tin can beach. Picnic and eventually build a fire and hang out most of the night. Take PCH back to Topanga Canyon then home.

I've lived in Santa Monica, Newport Beach and San Diego. Never in a million years would I picture myself retired in Tucson. If it wasn't for Covid I'd probably have bought a condo in Popotla or Puerto Nuevo, Baja MX. These condos are like 2,700 sq ft overlooking the ocean. They have their own water filtration systems so the water is better than LA's tap water. Gated under ground parking, 24 hour manned security. Cost, when I was there, was $99K with HOA fees at $150/mo. Pool and all the amenities of a resort. Because it's a condo it sidesteps all the Mexican regs about gringos buying coastal properties. Technically the land is owned by the HOA and the homeowners are just buying into the HOA. The residents are 75% Americans, 10% Latino, the remainer Asians and Europeans. Everyone speaks English. With a Senti card I could leave Poptla (six miles south of Rosarito Beach) and be across the border into San Ysidro, CA in sometimes as little as 45 minutes. Half the ride is along the coast and is a gorgeous drive during the day.

Yep, I never imagined I'd be a desert dweller. LOL

Tano

Legend
My first apartment out of school was in Sherman Oaks. Had a wall-unit that faced into the 'dining area' and cooled a grand total of about 10 sq ft.

Useless in the summer. Utterly, totally and completely useless...
Like I said - the valley ... fricken hot in the summer

I grew up in San Pedro/Palos Verdes (a portion of San Pedro that I lived in voted to become part of Palos Verdes), Fullerton, Yorba Linda, La Palma, Glendale, and finally Redondo Beach (I moved to a somewhat cheap two bedroom apartment two blocks from the beach - that was my favorite place to live)

As you can see - none of those places got extremely hot during the summer except for one week in August

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
at some point , our home stereo went from looking like this

fZENITH_Allegro_JR919P_stereo_console_cab_5fef7a093a64f.jpg

to looking like this

jbl.jpeg

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I rode around my neighborhood on a purple Schwinn with a brown transitor radio duct taped to the handle bars. We had a party line which meant that another family in your hood shared the same telephone line. There were a lot of really awkward moments. We had a Ford LTD (1971) that I drove when I was only fourteen to the store to get my Dad cigs. Those were the days.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I rode around my neighborhood on a purple Schwinn with a brown transitor radio duct taped to the handle bars. We had a party line which meant that another family in your hood shared the same telephone line. There were a lot of really awkward moments. We had a Ford LTD (1971) that I drove when I was only fourteen to the store to get my Dad cigs. Those were the days.
I had a blue Schwinn for my first bike. We used to clip playing cards to the fender where the spokes of the wheel would make a whirring, motor-like sound. I went everywhere on that bike in Whittier, which would have freaked my parents out had they known. I just had to be back before supper time or I'd get my ass tanned! The only time that scared my Mom for me to be out there was when the Zodiak killer was terrorizing folks in California.