Tavon Austin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lockdnram21

Legend
I wanted Patterson to. But i knew they weren't going to draft him. They already had a project in Quick. Tavon is going to breakout this season. Either that or he will open up things for everyone else. I think its going to be both

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man, so many here are wayyyy too quick to turn on our players. Give these guys some time. Tavon and Janoris went from sure-fire studs to middle of the pack in the course of 1 season to a lot of you guys...sheesh.

laramsoriginal

Starter
I would rather have Patterson and that 2nd round pick rams gave up to acquire Austin.

No doubt about it. Hindsight...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Simple Tackle? Minimal if any roll? :LOL:

Here's the play:
That amount of torque on the ankle would have injured anyone's ankle. Has nothing to do with his size. You can see the ankle/lower leg externally rotated at least 45 degrees from normal at 1:10 in the video

Anyone who knows anything about football can easily see that the injury is completely Austin's fault. Had he bothered to get into the end zone the injury would never have happened. We can only hope that the coaches talked to him about that kind of lackadaisical and selfish approach, and that he took it to heart. Otherwise his career will be over a few weeks into this coming season.

F. Mulder

Starter
A little off-topic here but it seems to be (probably a natural) a reaction to compare players selected with others as if the "other" player is in some type of isolation. If someone is talking about Austin and compares him to Patterson I would argue that it there often is no "winner" in the selection of either player. For example, Austin was drafted by the Rams to fill a specific skill set or to represent the type of player they felt they needed to be better. Minnesota felt the same way about Patterson. We have no idea how the Rams felt towards Patterson or Minnesota to Austin. However, the Vikings took a very talented WR in the first round and he is performing admirably and looks to do so for some time if he continues to progress. Ram fans can argue the same about Austin. We also have no idea how Patterson would have (or would continue) to perform with the Rams nor Austin with Minnesota.

Sure there are instances when the #2 pick overall (J. Smith) flames out and others make it but my point is that the circumstances individual players are put in are a factor as well as the fact that there CAN be more than ONE good WR that comes out of the 2013 draft etc. These are highly scouted and developed players; to think many won't become above average NFL players is unrealistic. I assure you there are a bunch of other fans who wish they had Austin, Patterson, or any other player who looks to be an ascending player; who wouldn't. Hell I want Austin AND Patterson! I'm just trying to point out that there doesn't have to always be a winner or loser regarding each player. Sorry for the ramble :unsure:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't understand why people want to "exchange" the Austin pick after his rookie year. Consider this, we drafted a kid that had 7 plays of 50+ yards(counting the plays called back) as a rookie in 13 games. He clearly wasn't comfortable with the our complex offense that Schotty runs until at least the mid-way point in the season and lost his starting QB.

But people don't want the kid? This is the exact point I was making about Watkins. People have these grand expectations for rookie WRs and most WRs don't breakout until their second or third year. The kid showed us that he has no issues ripping off explosive plays against NFL competition. Lets give him a chance to actually develop.

Lets all just take a look at the big plays he ripped off as a rookie:

(Preseason)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
A little off-topic here but it seems to be (probably a natural) a reaction to compare players selected with others as if the "other" player is in some type of isolation. If someone is talking about Austin and compares him to Patterson I would argue that it there often is no "winner" in the selection of either player. For example, Austin was drafted by the Rams to fill a specific skill set or to represent the type of player they felt they needed to be better. Minnesota felt the same way about Patterson. We have no idea how the Rams felt towards Patterson or Minnesota to Austin. However, the Vikings took a very talented WR in the first round and he is performing admirably and looks to do so for some time if he continues to progress. Ram fans can argue the same about Austin. We also have no idea how Patterson would have (or would continue) to perform with the Rams nor Austin with Minnesota.

Sure there are instances when the #2 pick overall (J. Smith) flames out and others make it but my point is that the circumstances individual players are put in are a factor as well as the fact that there CAN be more than ONE good WR that comes out of the 2013 draft etc. These are highly scouted and developed players; to think many won't become above average NFL players is unrealistic. I assure you there are a bunch of other fans who wish they had Austin, Patterson, or any other player who looks to be an ascending player; who wouldn't. Hell I want Austin AND Patterson! I'm just trying to point out that there doesn't have to always be a winner or loser regarding each player. Sorry for the ramble :unsure:

Well said FM and nice to see ya.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Tavon dropped more balls than an honest duffer on a water filled golf course last year. Cook and Givens are nearly as bad. All three have athletic talent but I'd take Bruce, Holt, and Conwell over them based on route running and hands alone. When Tavon cleans up his drops, I will concur that his other qualities put him above Az. Az fumbled the punts so often I prayed for Proehl, Holt, or Faulk to fair catch something rather than put Az back there. But for whatever reason. Az caught passes that in his rookie year, Austin laid on the turf.
I would takes Bruce, Holt, and Conwell over just about anyone, ever

BeerOClock

Rookie
Dexter McCluster - 5'9" 170
Has played in 90.6% of games possible over his career
Anquan Boldin - 6'1" 225
Has played in 88.6% of games possible over his career

Enough said. Right?

Ridiculous argument. If Tavon Austin was built like Dexter McCluster, it may have some validity. Dexter McCluster is stronger--he breaks tackles. Tavon Austin rarely if ever breaks tackles.

My point has been and remains, by my analysis, that Patterson is more durable than Austin. The facts are:
Austin has missed 3 1/4 games due to injury.
Patterson has missed none.

Until that reverses, my analysis is correct. You can try to conjure up all the pseudo-logic you want, it doesn't change the truth.

You can keep your "facts". You'll quickly learn that I don't care about what people think the stats say. I base my opinions on what I see on the field. Throwing a bunch of stats at me means nothing to me. Any person is capable of reading a box-score.

Funny, I used the same argument on Bridgewater and all you did is throw a bunch of "facts" at me. Any person can recite a statistic on Rotoworld. Are you always this hypocritical?

And no, Patterson is not faster than Watkins on the field. Watkins has an extra gear on vertical routes than Patterson doesn't have.

I've got facts that prove otherwise, but I wouldn't want to offend you with facts.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, that's why Patterson had more catches than Austin last year. What a bunch of hot air.

And why is your total argument on how Austin is going to use his physical tools to become a better route runner, but Patterson isn't going to use his physical tools to become a better receiver in a crowd? You really are a work of art.

Because those are two completely different things. Route running is a skill that requires polish and experience. It's expected a player will improve.

Winning jump balls is not. It's something you either can or can't do consistently. Give me a couple examples of players that weren't jump ball WRs in college that became it in the NFL.

As far as the catches argument goes, I don't care. They're rookies. Neither had especially impressive years. I care more about projecting where they will be than where they were. And if you really want to go there...Austin had more catches per game.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I really didn't want to see Tavon drafted, but he's got the skills to be a really good player.

Oh and the Tavon Austin vs. Cordarrelle Patterson thing is a waste of time. Both had similar production as WRs. Cordarrelle had a whopping 5 more catches for 50 yards than Tavon. Both had 4 TDs receiving and similiar rushing yards too, except Cordarrelle has 2 more TDs in that department.

Tavon is a PR, Cordarrelle is a KR so that's a wash.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ridiculous argument. If Tavon Austin was built like Dexter McCluster, it may have some validity. Dexter McCluster is stronger--he breaks tackles. Tavon Austin rarely if ever breaks tackles.

My point has been and remains, by my analysis, that Patterson is more durable than Austin. The facts are:
Austin has missed 3 1/4 games due to injury.
Patterson has missed none.

Until that reverses, my analysis is correct. You can try to conjure up all the pseudo-logic you want, it doesn't change the truth.

Tavon Austin - 5'9" 176
Dexter McCluster - 5'9" 172

Do us both a favor and concede this point.

Hate to break it to you, your opinion isn't the "truth". Neither is your ability to gloss over everything that doesn't agree with your opinion.

Funny, I used the same argument on Bridgewater and all you did is throw a bunch of "facts" at me. Any person can recite a statistic on Rotoworld. Are you always this hypocritical?

And did those "facts" change your mind? Although, it should be pointed out that I gave you metrics, videos, and responded with my opinion. And no, you didn't really use the same argument, you were more or less talking out of your behind. I didn't base my judgement on those metrics. I simply used them to reinforce the point being made. Especially after you compared Bridgewater's accuracy to Tebow's.

I don't base any judgement I make on stats. I may use them while arguing now and again but who doesn't(and yep, I'm hypocritical in that way). I'm just telling you now that throwing a bunch of stats at me and calling them facts isn't going to change my opinion or do anything for me at all.

Plus, those metrics actually showed some of what we were discussing. The stuff you just posted didn't. It gave us no indication of who the better open-field runner is.

I've got facts that prove otherwise, but I wouldn't want to offend you with facts.

Nah. You got a few stats that coincide with your opinion. And that's lead you to confuse your opinion with fact.

You won't be offending me. I'm always happy to talk about things from the football side. You throw out your "facts" and I'll throw out my football analysis.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@BeerOClock and @jrry32 This arguing in circles is getting tired. Just my opinion but how about you both just move on.
5067.jpg

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

after watching tavon in his first nfl season, if the draft was held tomorrow and the rams pulled the same deal to move up and get him i would be even more excited than i was when it actually happened.

the difference between his second half of the season compared to his first was like night and day. imagine what he will be like in 2 years.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor

after watching tavon in his first nfl season, if the draft was held tomorrow and the rams pulled the same deal to move up and get him i would be even more excited than i was when it actually happened.

the difference between his second half of the season compared to his first was like night and day. imagine what he will be like in 2 years.

Agree 100%