Tavon Austin so far

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

F. Mulder

Starter
Just to be clear, I am NOT criticizing him in this thread. I am saying that the expected growing pains are evident to me during certain parts of the game. I was beating the drum to draft him and think he can be special. It is the refinement he will develop over time that will allow him to reach his massive potential. He will learn when to juke and when to just take an angle and take 5-7 yards by just going forward. He will start to adjust his instincts to an NFL level of competition in knowing when to fake and when to just go. He will expect the ball to be on him quicker and that throws in the NFL come when your back is often still to the QB.

People shouldn't confuse pointing out a few observations as being down on the guy. People do the same thing with all young players; they point out the things they see and like and the things they see that need to be adjusted at this level.

In a different example I feel the same way about Quick and his immense talent as well as Ogletree, Mcdonald, et al.

You can like a player and still make suggestions and observations.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I agree with everyone who is saying they want to see us find a way to get him in space. I am sure the coaches B. S and J. F are working on that, teams are aware of his elusiveness it's no secret around the league. There is a learning curve for T A and the offense we run and how to make that work for him. Once the game slows down and he is comfortable (he isn't yet) all should be fine.
If he breaks the next one big then he would be 1 for 10 on catches that go for big yards, big if maybe but it would certainly calm the nerves here. Also slot receivers more often than not do not carry high yards per catch averages. My concern is the drops far more than any other factor

Memphis Ram

Legend
WvuIN02 said:
I dont understand the Rams use of him.

Bradford checks down about a billion times to wide open DR so far this season. If that was instead Tavon, he would have done far more with those touches than DR.

He isnt an every down back, but for Christs sake, swap him in at tail back like he was used at WVU and swing him in the open. We motioned him and used a shovel pass many times, and many times that same play he was a decoy that led to another RB going the other way for a huge gain.

There is just ZERO creativity from Schottenheimer using Tavon. Where are the bubble screens and such as designed plays for him? He was a focal point of the offense, and for the Rams he just seems like he is being used as option number 3-4 most of the time.

Until the Rams actually force BS to create plays for him, his talents will be wasted.

+10

This is basically what I was expecting when they traded up for his services. There were several other options in this draft (minus having to trade up) if they merely wanted a traditional slot WR/ return guy.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This sounds dumb to even type it - but is it at all possible that the Rams are still holding back certain plays? Could they be that obsessed with Seattle/San Fran?

It's not a case of not targeting the kid - he is getting touches - but I think most of us agree that the way they are getting him the ball could use some improvement. Surely the staff sees this, as well.

By the way - still new to this board - but I'm very pleased to see actual football discussion. Wish I had made this move long ago.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
12intheBox said:
This sounds dumb to even type it - but is it at all possible that the Rams are still holding back certain plays? Could they be that obsessed with Seattle/San Fran?

It's not a case of not targeting the kid - he is getting touches - but I think most of us agree that the way they are getting him the ball could use some improvement. Surely the staff sees this, as well.

By the way - still new to this board - but I'm very pleased to see actual football discussion. Wish I had made this move long ago.
It's an interesting theory, but I don't know how wise it would be to limit your offense in preparation for 4 games. I think part of that holds true though. I don't think everything is fully installed yet. And I wouldn't expect it to be just yet. I remember back in 2011, McDaniels tried to install a new set of plays for every game based on what the defense's tendencies were, and that was an abject nightmare. Largely because there were no OTAs, but mainly because the rookies were nowhere near ready enough to run an NFL scheme instinctively.

And welcome to ROD, 12. It's great to see you over here.

fearsomefour

Legend
I think the main reason the Rams are keeping Richardson in on pass plays vs. bringing in Austin in the back field is (and I am just guessing here) it would change the D they would be facing. If the Rams are running a TE down, 3 WRs and a RB, they would probably face a nickle D. If the spotter for the D saw no RB going into the huddle it is obviously a passing down and they would face a dime D, or a 3 man front where a team might usually run a 4 man front.

The only way the Rams will be able to use Austin out of the backfield as a receiver without teams keying on him is using him with success in the running game. I dont know if the Rams want to subject him to that pounding. There is also the issue of a RB needing the chip on the way out of the backfield.
The only other way would be to bring in a RB and split the RB out wide....I never like this by the way as I think it really weakens two positions. Teams do it (have a RB in then empty the backfield) to try and manipulate the D they are facing.

I wouldnt mind seeing him in motion more. Austin in motion then doubling back could be an uncoverable sort of route vs. man....sort of like Welker. That might mean several 5-7 yard receptions a game. But, I think Tavon will improve his feel for the game (the speed of the game and the fact that most guys know how to tackle and how to take angles to tackle much better than in college) and start turning some short catches into longer runs.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
RamFan503 said:
Graphicker said:
X said:
QHv1qpi.png

This is a no Fap zone!

kluJjdP.gif

What in THE hell is going on there? A butter making competition?

No, I've never been to one but this sure looks like the infamous circle jerk to me.

V3

Hall of Fame
Stranger said:
V3 said:
Stranger said:
RamzFanz said:
HometownBoy said:
It's just rookie jitters, it's happened to great players before and it'll happen to great players after.

Just look at Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, TO, Chad Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald. All elite receivers, but going by their stats alone it looked like most of them would never take off in the NFL. It's hard to get up to speed on the NFL, especially at receiver. Everything seems faster, the game, the throws, the DBs. It's a lot to catch up with. You can see he's getting there though, starting to get open more, starting to get past defenders. It's coming together for him, just takes a while. Just got to be patient.

Austin's main problem is he still tries to dance in the way that worked in college. It may have broken like 7 tackles on guys in college, but this is the NFL, everybody is a college superstar now means stuff like that isn't gonna fly on them. Thus he ends up just coming to a stop and not gaining yards he could have because he was trying to stutter step guys who eat stutter steps for breakfast.

Other parts I think come from the inherent worry, he is a pretty little guy. You don't want to put him in any situation where he's gonna get blown up, not yet anyways.

I completely disagree.

I have analyzed many of his plays in college and so far in the NFL and his stutter steps DO work.

But first, he doesn't stutter step as much as people think he does. People just notice his stutter steps because it a rare skill. He does it with purpose, and as a guess I would say he's employed it less than 20% of the time.

Purpose 1) To disrupt the speed and direction of a defender so he doesn't take a big hit. He's great at disrupting the big hit. He also changes his stride to do the same thing.

Purpose 2) To get in the open. He's employed it well.

The issue is the blocking has been horrible and the play calling has not taken advantage of his skills.

He has sent many defenders to the ground with his stutter step but has only had one big return, the one where he had a single block in his immediate vicinity.

In the below example he sends 2 GB ST players to the ground. That block on number 30 fails and he takes down TA right after he lands. If that block holds for half a second, this return goes very long, perhaps to the house.

TAnew5_zps6b85e282.jpg
Seems like people are just searching for things to complain about this week. In this thread the target is TA, who is probably one of the most exciting things to happen to this team in years. Seriously folks, are we really going to get down on our rookie speed burner rockstar after only 2 games?

Please don't call him a rockstar. You have to earn that. He hasn't. It's disrespectful to the players that HAVE done something in the NFL. I'm not saying he can't. I'm just saying he hasn't done anything yet so don't go proclaiming him as the best thing to happen to this team in years.
I have absolutely no issue with calling Tavon a rockstar and one of the best things to happen to this team in years. I think every fan was excited when the Rams jumped-up to draft him, and I know Rams' coaching staff and F.O. were super excited. Hence, I see absolutely no justification at this early juncture to doubt Tavon's destiny. He's smart, humble, a hard worker, and has all of the God-given talent one could ever want in the NFL. Everything is there.

Yeah, but he hasn't returned a punt to the house in his first two regular season starts, so I guess I should start doubting his trajectory and become anxious about the worthiness of our draft day move. Sorry, I guess I didn't get that memo.

There's a BIG difference between potential and performance. All you're talking about is his POTENTIAL. He has it. He hasn't done anything though. Why do you think it's okay to call someone great when they've done nothing? That's like giving a new hire at a job a raise and employee of the month just because he had a great interview. It's disrespectful to the people who have put in the time and effort to become ACTUAL stars and have produced.

This has nothing to do with what he's capable of in the future. I'm not calling him a bust IN THE SLIGHTEST. It has everything to do with proclaiming him amazing when he's done nothing to justify it.

V3

Hall of Fame
HE WITH HORNS said:
V3 said:
HE WITH HORNS said:
V3 said:
I'll just say I'm not really pleased and keep it at that.

So far. We'll see what happens after his first 80 yard TD play.

That would require a coordinator that knew how to use him.

To "use" him, you just need to get him the ball. And we've got him alot of touches so far. Patience. . . . .

I'm not really worried about Austin. I'm more worried about Schotty. He doesn't have the best track record. He's going to have to prove that he can do it before I believe it. Thus far, he's looked pretty slow to adjust and scared to open the playbook. He seems to be missing some obvious gameplan strategies.

bskrilla

Starter
I think the play that kind of sums up a lot of our frustration was the screen pass to Austin Pettis against Arizona that went for like -1 yards. The blocking was the problem on that play, but why in the world is it Austin Pettis catching that screen and not Tavon.

I agree that the lack of any bubble screens or straight screens so far is strange.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
V3 said:
There's a BIG difference between potential and performance. All you're talking about is his POTENTIAL. He has it. He hasn't done anything though. Why do you think it's okay to call someone great when they've done nothing? That's like giving a new hire at a job a raise and employee of the month just because he had a great interview. It's disrespectful to the people who have put in the time and effort to become ACTUAL stars and have produced.

This has nothing to do with what he's capable of in the future. I'm not calling him a bust IN THE SLIGHTEST. It has everything to do with proclaiming him amazing when he's done nothing to justify it.

I'm not saying the kid has attained greatness yet. But 88 yards and 2 TDs in his first two games ain't exactly not doing anything. He's also returning punts. There's a lot on his plate as a rookie. He's right there with Torry Holt as a receiver AND he's returning punts. I think our expectations are unrealistic if we think that is doing nothing.

V3

Hall of Fame
RamFan503 said:
V3 said:

I'm not saying the kid has attained greatness yet. But 88 yards and 2 TDs in his first two games ain't exactly not doing anything. He's also returning punts. There's a lot on his plate as a rookie. He's right there with Torry Holt as a receiver AND he's returning punts. I think our expectations are unrealistic if we think that is doing nothing.

I'm referring to what Stranger said. He called him a superstar or rockstar. Would you say 88 yards and 2 TD's is what a superstar does? I wouldn't. It's solid for a rookie but it's not something a superstar does. If he had done what Dez Bryant has done, I wouldn't even be having this discussion.

I look at monikers like superstar as a badge or award. Similar(NOT THE SAME, but similar) to medals given to soldiers. You only get them when you deserve it. If a soldier got the Medal of Honor for doing well in basic training, wouldn't you find that to be insulting to the soldiers who have actually done something to deserve it? That's the whole point I'm getting at. People want to proclaim Austin as some amazing star for the Rams but he hasn't done anything to deserve it. Once he has, I'll be first in line to shout it from the rooftops. Calling Austin a superstar is insulting to players like Quinn, Cook, Bradford, etc who have done a heck of a lot more for the Rams than Austin has THUS FAR.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
This thread shocks me.

How many rookie wide receivers have done better?

Punt returners ok, sure we suck there, but that's because of blocking more than anything else.

Fisher will not run an offense that keys on one player this year and we all know he would be foolish to do so, but I've honestly been pleasantly surprised at how often Austin has been used in an offense that's had to attempt a come back in every game so far. To me, that says a lot about how a coach perceives a player.

Another thing to consider is his receptions relative to snap count is actually very high, which is something that I think other teams expected and scheme for. Tavon is no decoy for us, he's the real thing.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
V3 said:
RamFan503 said:
V3 said:

I'm referring to what Stranger said. He called him a superstar or rockstar. Would you say 88 yards and 2 TD's is what a superstar does? I wouldn't. It's solid for a rookie but it's not something a superstar does. If he had done what Dez Bryant has done, I wouldn't even be having this discussion.

I look at monikers like superstar as a badge or award. Similar(NOT THE SAME, but similar) to medals given to soldiers. You only get them when you deserve it. If a soldier got the Medal of Honor for doing well in basic training, wouldn't you find that to be insulting to the soldiers who have actually done something to deserve it? That's the whole point I'm getting at. People want to proclaim Austin as some amazing star for the Rams but he hasn't done anything to deserve it. Once he has, I'll be first in line to shout it from the rooftops. Calling Austin a superstar is insulting to players like Quinn, Cook, Bradford, etc who have done a heck of a lot more for the Rams than Austin has THUS FAR.
So, please tell us what this kid would have had to have done in his first 2-games for you to back off?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
V3 said:

Guess I don't get the Dez Bryant reference. Because he had a return TD in his second game? Tavon is on pace to have a much better rookie season, and unlike Dez, doesn't seem to be one bad nights sleep away from melt down.

Watch the punt returns by Tavon. How many defenders are already on him when he makes the catch? We'll see if there is a difference if the guy gets even a LITTLE space to get started.

V3

Hall of Fame
Stranger said:
V3 said:
RamFan503 said:
V3 said:

So, please tell us what this kid would have had to have done in his first 2-games for you to back off?

Back off? Please tell me how I'm going after him? It's about you calling him a superstar when he isn't one. He's done fine for a rookie. I'm not worried about him. I'm more worried about our coordinator than him. My issue is with you disrespecting actual superstars by diminishing the meaning/value of the word.

V3

Hall of Fame
RamFan503 said:
V3 said:

Guess I don't get the Dez Bryant reference. Because he had a return TD in his second game? Tavon is on pace to have a much better rookie season, and unlike Dez, doesn't seem to be one bad nights sleep away from melt down.

Watch the punt returns by Tavon. How many defenders are already on him when he makes the catch? We'll see if there is a difference if the guy gets even a LITTLE space to get started.

Bryant's first game wasn't much but his last game he was unstoppable. And his great performance goes back into last season. He's becoming an outstanding WR. The light has gone on for him in regards to play. His off the field issues are a separate issue. And I'm not talking about comparing Bryant's rookie season to Tavon's. Like I've been saying, it's about what the player has done. What have they done to deserve recognition? Bryant didn't have a huge rookie season but he's become a very good player and has EARNED the right to be in the discussion of being a superstar WR because he's been performing at a high level for an extended period now. Austin hasn't done that...yet. I'm not saying he can't. I'm not saying he won't. I'm saying let's wait before we start calling him something that should be reserved for players that have proven that they are elite. Austin hasn't proven it...YET.

That's all I'm saying.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
V3 said:
Stranger said:
V3 said:
RamFan503 said:
V3 said:

Back off? Please tell me how I'm going after him? It's about you calling him a superstar when he isn't one. He's done fine for a rookie. I'm not worried about him. I'm more worried about our coordinator than him. My issue is with you disrespecting actual superstars by diminishing the meaning/value of the word.
Okay, I feel much better now that I understand that your "problem" is with me and not Tavon. Guess we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Tavon is a rockstar in my book, and I don't need to wait for a career full of statistics to say it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
V3 said:
Bryant's first game wasn't much but his last game he was unstoppable. And his great performance goes back into last season. He's becoming an outstanding WR. The light has gone on for him in regards to play. His off the field issues are a separate issue. And I'm not talking about comparing Bryant's rookie season to Tavon's. Like I've been saying, it's about what the player has done. What have they done to deserve recognition? Bryant didn't have a huge rookie season but he's become a very good player and has EARNED the right to be in the discussion of being a superstar WR because he's been performing at a high level for an extended period now. Austin hasn't done that...yet. I'm not saying he can't. I'm not saying he won't. I'm saying let's wait before we start calling him something that should be reserved for players that have proven that they are elite. Austin hasn't proven it...YET.

That's all I'm saying.

Dez had 22 yards against the Giants and then blew up against the 27th ranked pass defense. Last year he averaged 5.5 yards per return and zero TDs. He has had one big season so far - that's not an extended period in my book. I'm not saying Dez isn't a good receiver but I don't attribute anything he has done to date as giving him the lofty status you want to place on him.

Anywho - I really don't give a damn what a cowgirl receiver is doing. No Tavon hasn't earned any huge praise yet either but he IS somewhat of a rock star - just not your definition of one. No biggie.

So far, he's ahead of the pace of MANY all pro WRs. Purdy good start for the youngin'

fearsomefour

Legend
As the season progresses so will Austin I think....hopefully Quick as well. Heck, even everyones favorite whipping boy Pettis had a good game. New starting LT, TE, RB, WR....its gonna take a little time to get it all clicking. I will say this, with depth at all of those positions (except T maybe) when everyone gets on the same page the Rams may end up with an offense that has many contributors week to week, which would be great. In the Jackson years he was basically the only key. Week one Cook went off, week two we got contributions from Pettis, Austin and Givens. This is all good news to me. The Rams have scored 27 and 24 points in their two games....all while we are complaining (or discussing?) about how the O is going. In terms of scoring the O is ahead of where I thought it would be. In terms of finding balance with a consistant running game, implementing Austin, Cook and the new pieces and keeping Ds off balance with the "old" pieces (Givens, Kendricks, Quick) its a work in progress.....and progress is the right word to me. The O is progressing for the first time in years.

As a completely off topic sidebar; How did the Rams O line not have the nickname The Jackson Five when Steven was piling 1,000 yard seasons?

I guess it was different guys every year.