Talib Back by Thanksgiving?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Thank. Effin. God. :banana:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He's irritated standing on the sideline and watching the secondary get bent over and abused.

Ram65

Legend
Nov 26 BYE
Dec 02 @Lions
Dec 09 @Bears
Dec 16 Eagles
Dec 23 @Cardinals
Dec 30 49'ers

A week off and Talib back with Fowler and Obo could ignite the defense for the late season run.

KA210927

Rookie
Name
Kevin
That Eagles game could be a playoff-like atmosphere. Should be a good late season test.

Nov 26 BYE
Dec 02 @Lions
Dec 09 @Bears
Dec 16 Eagles
Dec 23 @Cardinals
Dec 30 49'ers

A week off and Talib back with Fowler and Obo could ignite the defense for the late season run.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I still maintain that our defensive problems came after Tallib was injured. For some reason, we were solid when he was there. Maybe it's his leadership or his experience but we were better with him on the field. He'll be back in time for the playoff run.

Our schedule down the stretch is a lot easier than the Saints so our playoff seeding could still be #1.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Remember when Wade was asked if he could take any player from that Denver Super Bowl winning team and he picked Aqib Talib. I got a feeling we're going to get to experience that first hand in the second half of the season when he returns. The captain of the defense imo.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I still maintain that our defensive problems came after Tallib was injured. For some reason, we were solid when he was there. Maybe it's his leadership or his experience but we were better with him on the field. He'll be back in time for the playoff run.

Our schedule down the stretch is a lot easier than the Saints so our playoff seeding could still be #1.
Well he has the ability to shut down one side of the field which opens up a lot more for our defense. People forget we were up 21-6 on the Chargers before Talib and Peters both got hurt. This defense can be great but not when you run Troy Hill out in the secondary with a gimpy Peters for half the season.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Be great to have him back. Aint gonna fix the pass rush though....

jap

Legend

I suspect Aqib is the one who gets the secondary personnel lined up and makes the secondary adjustments on the field. He is a renowned game video savant who has criticized Marcus in years past for not studying enough game video. Marcus possesses incredible talent, but much like past Horn CB, Janoris Jenkins, tends to gamble too often, which can be deadly against veteran QBs---especially those who are Hall of Fame worthy (e.g., ARod, Drew Brees). Veteran signal callers can spot young CB gamblers in their sleep. Aqib's on field presence alone could have made things much less stressful for our secondary had he not been injured. He will help to rein Marcus wild tendencies in.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Be great to have him back. Aint gonna fix the pass rush though....
Why not?

The main problem with our pass rush is not having enough time to get to QB, when that QB dumps it off fast, like Brees and Rodgers. Talib covering the #1 WR wil provide a second or two, which makes it easier to sack the QB...I think Fowler is going to do great

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yes that is my hope as well. Getting Fowler and Obo both coached up to fully understand most of the defensive calls is going to be critical, so they can play fast. I suspect things will be simplified a bit for them, which is probably not too hard to do with the edge types.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well he has the ability to shut down one side of the field which opens up a lot more for our defense. People forget we were up 21-6 on the Chargers before Talib and Peters both got hurt. This defense can be great but not when you run Troy Hill out in the secondary with a gimpy Peters for half the season.

Precisely.

Elevating Peters to draw the top guy in this defense, plus Hill and Shields needing to step up and play bigger roles is the heart of the issues we're having. I would add that Peters' eye discipline and freelancing have come at the worst time too, i.e. that he carries a lot of blame obviously. So who knows maybe this Saints loss and stretch of poor games for Peters will help him recapture his fundamentals and discipline in time to get Talib back and make a playoff run.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I suspect Aqib is the one who gets the secondary personnel lined up and makes the secondary adjustments on the field. He is a renowned game video savant who has criticized Marcus in years past for not studying enough game video. Marcus possesses incredible talent, but much like past Horn CB, Janoris Jenkins, tends to gamble too often, which can be deadly against veteran QBs---especially those who are Hall of Fame worthy (e.g., ARod, Drew Brees). Veteran signal callers can spot young CB gamblers in their sleep. Aqib's on field presence alone could have made things much less stressful for our secondary had he not been injured. He will help to rein Marcus wild tendencies in.
I suspect Aqib is the one who gets the secondary personnel lined up and makes the secondary adjustments on the field.

THIS.

IMO the most fundamental problem with the Rams' D has been ongoing confusion over coverages and adjustments since Talib went out. (This is stark contrast to the O, where Goff and everyone else are on the same page to a remarkable extent.) Without rehashing the reasons for this, I believe it is fixable and that the situation will greatly improve when Talib returns.

Talib understands Wade's D, and most of all the secondary, better than anyone else on the field. That's why he wanted to play for Phillips again. Talib also has the swag and the leadership to get everybody else on the same page.

Talib is also an outstanding player in his own right, and that in itself will help a lot. Very much like having your best pitcher back at the top of the rotation-- others in the secondary and the D as a whole will benefit.

I expect to see a much tougher D down the stretch and in the playoffs with Talib back, Fowler and Obo getting involved, Peters at 100%, and Barron at full speed after ten months off prior to the last few games.