State of the NFL and of the NFC West

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
They look different this year, to me.

Not 4-12 different. But 8-8 different.

It does feel different. Like a rock solid 8-8 or better yet 9-7.

Stats show Rams O in top 10, Rams D in top 15 and Rams QB in top 10.

Last edited:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So I think IF the offense comes around and shows that growth what the team will resemble is a jump-ahead-and-you're-in-trouble type deal. The way it worked against Indy, basically.
I think we got a small taste of McVay's approach... always be aggressive, despite the score. Very unlike Fisher.
So, I'm thinking maybe that's how games will go if the Rams go up by a decent score.

Last week, I got a small taste of how they will react to getting down by a decent score.
Again, no backing down there... adjustments that seemed to work... and they came all the way back to tie it. Unlike Fisher... who hadn't a clue about adjustments... just kept doing the same things that got them in the hole in the first place.

Only two games... different scenarios (go up big, go down big)... hoping they go up big against SF tomorrow night... I believe McVay won't take the foot off the gas. That would be fun to watch.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Uncle Pete has always started slowly.....then his team gains momentum...and gets better every week. Russell Wilson looks like a magician back there. Like a couple of there wrs too.

Barwin is done
You cold...I haven't been impressed either....Tired of all the rotating. Or better yet, He's 98 correct? Leave that 96 in there....Longacre is ready to contribute.

high powered Saints
Stop it....Really?...A lot of these over 35 QB's...father time is running down in 2017.

Nice post...revisit this in 4 weeks.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great OP @SteveBrown - my only worry is, as @jrry32 commented, the Seahawks always seem to start poorly, but improve every game. Thats why I'm still hurting after the Washington loss, we SHOULD have won that to be a step ahead in our division, we need to win the 'winnable' games and I had the Washington one as a must-win (at home).

We'll see where we lie after TNF against the 49ers. If we don't come away with a big W next to our name, then I'm more likely to believe that the Colts game was the anomaly.

Yep, but we don't deserve the playoffs if we can't take it from Seattle. Time to earn it.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
hoping they go up big against SF tomorrow night... I believe McVay won't take the foot off the gas. That would be fun to watch.

Gotta fire up the team considering Shanahan ran the scoreboard with us last year as the OC for the Falcons, that'll be excellent motivation to come firing at all cylinders.

Ram65

Legend
4. The Falcons have a small, fast LB, too (Jones?)---like Buchanon, Trevian, Barron etc...I think in a few years every team will have small LBs who can cover the slot like a FS, but are tough enough to play the run.
*Many LBs are sill in the 230s---which they were in the 1980s, too (and many in the 1970s, too).....while all the other positions are much bigger.
*So, maybe the hybrid LB/Safety becomes like a slot corner in that they become 'starters' on 2nd-3rd down.

Great Post. It seems in the past, for a 3-4 to stop the run their LB would be around 250-260. The passing game changed that. Now you have hybrid LBs who were safeties in college. But the trouble of stopping the run is still there if a team wants to "Hulk" up and take it to a defense. Washington wanted a bit more early in the game. And it took us a few possessions to adapt to what they were doing. The one that hurt was the draw that went the distance when the QB that handed off a millisecond earlier had the ball. We aren't that far from where we need to be......but it's not how far we've come.....as you stated...it's where everyone else is.......
But real good read.

Locally Seth Joyner was referring to many winning teams running the ball close to 50/50 more this week. It's a great way to neutralize the smaller LBers/D Lineman. Loosing teams where throwing at a very high percentage. Rams are 52.2/47.8 pass/run. Could be teams you play against. Good pass rushing teams with good front seven. I think Rams will stay right around their ratio but, may go deep more on play action. Whiners defense looks revised. Can't believe they almost beat the Hags. The division could be a little more evenly matched.

http://www.footballdb.com/stats/play-selection.html?sort=passpct

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
The OP asks if Trevor Simeon can be "that good".

I remember people saying the same thing about Warner all the way through the mid-season of our Super Bowl win.

I mean come on, the guys a UDFA/ late round draft pick.

Whatever Simeon is, he's a steal and I would lock him up long-term because he's at least a good guy off the bench even if you don't think you want him for your starter.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
The Rams won't be a .500 team until they can prove they can stop the run consistently. They get another dose of a "run first" team tonight. Even is the Rams win and Hyde gets over 100 yds, that will still be a major area of concern going into Dallas.

I've been quiet during all the "Wade Phillips is the greatest DC ever" hoopla. He hasn't proved any of that yet. He's got to get the D to defend the run better.

This coaching staff has to find a way to get on the right side of the officials. Rams getting flagged for the littlest thing and Quinn getting hung all over without getting a flag has got to change. I don't know if complaining to the league office will help but trying to win a football game with the officials on the other team side is a losing battle.