Stafford wants more guaranteed money; says has more in the tank

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Ewers is tougher than most. Played through a nasty shoulder injury that would've knocked a lot of quarterbacks out for the season.
He gives me Goff flashbacks in the pocket. Looks like he's filling his pants with the slightest pressure.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
He gives me Goff flashbacks in the pocket. Looks like he's filling his pants with the slightest pressure.

Still manages to get the ball out accurately and climb the pocket when it's there. And with our O-line, I don't put a huge amount of worry when it comes to pressure.

But Ewers is far from a pansy. He's played through a lot of pain, and Texas didn't exactly have the best pass-blocking O-line in the years he's been starting.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Did anybody pick up Brennan Armstrong, QB, NC State? He's not a starter but could possibly be a serviceable back up.

RamsFan4Life

Starter
time teddy GIF

Pay that man his money

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He is not asking for more money: he is asking for more guaranteed money. The Horns restructure star players' contracts so much, often providing those players with more guaranteed money. This shouldn't be that hard for them.

We'll see when they announce the restructure.

There is no way seeing cousins making $50m per year while he's making $40m per year sits well with him.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I think I make it through 5 or 6 words before just deciding I dont even want to try to decipher this post.
Your loss dude.

At the end of his long post about numerous football topics, our friend So Ram closed his comments with:
"The pay phones use to take dimes. It cost a quarter to call towards The End."

If THAT is not classic So Ram, then I don't know what is.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Still manages to get the ball out accurately and climb the pocket when it's there. And with our O-line, I don't put a huge amount of worry when it comes to pressure.

But Ewers is far from a pansy. He's played through a lot of pain, and Texas didn't exactly have the best pass-blocking O-line in the years he's been starting.
Just how I see it. The Merlin "Starting QB evaluation matrix" is certainly not for everyone:

1. Enormous balls in the pocket. If he is jittery or looks like a scared rabbit in the pocket, scratch him off that list.
2. Eyes downfield. If he settles too easily on the underneath, scratch him off that list.
3. Read quickness. If he routinely hangs up on his first or second read, scratch him off that list.
4. Leadership. If he doesn't have force of personality about him when he walks into the huddle or the room, scratch him off that list.
5. Production. If he doesn't have actual good results on the field, scratch him off that list.
6. Size and arm. If he is an outlier in height or arm strength, scratch him off that list.
7. Red Flags. If he has any flags you cannot clear, scratch him off that list.

So many whiffs of recent QB selections could be avoided with the above. QBs who are left standing are your best options. :clinkingbeer:

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
I wouldn't do it until after the season if he doesn't miss gms. He has missed gm 2 years in a row and I wouldn't give him anything unless he can show he can play all the gms.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
Stafford at OTA's yesterday:

Matthew Stafford not skipping Rams OTAs despite contract request​

USATSI_18920964.jpg

Cameron DaSilva

April 30, 2024 5:40 am PT

A report emerged during the NFL draft that Matthew Stafford is seeking more guaranteed money on his contract beyond the 2024 season, an indication that he wants to continue playing for a few more years. Sean McVay confirmed the Rams and Stafford have had some talks about his contract, though there’s seemingly been no resolution yet.
McVay was asked whether Stafford would attend OTAs amid this request for more money, but he was uncertain and said “we’ll see.”
Well, on Monday, the Rams saw. They saw their quarterback on the field in a red jersey participating in OTAs for the first time. Stafford isn’t skipping these voluntary workouts, which suggests he doesn’t plan to hold out until his contract is adjusted.

The Rams are going to have a lot of new faces on the team this year, including tight end Colby Parkinson, wide receiver Jordan Whittington, quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo, guard Jonah Jackson and running back Blake Corum, among others.
Stafford would probably like to develop a rapport with them sooner rather than later, so it’s good to see him attending workouts despite them being voluntary.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Has their been a direct quote attached to Stafford indicating this?
Seems like another "Stafford cant relate to the young players" diatribe which was the unsubstantiated rumor last spring

dang

Legend
Stafford at OTA's yesterday:

Matthew Stafford not skipping Rams OTAs despite contract request​

USATSI_18920964.jpg

Cameron DaSilva

April 30, 2024 5:40 am PT

A report emerged during the NFL draft that Matthew Stafford is seeking more guaranteed money on his contract beyond the 2024 season, an indication that he wants to continue playing for a few more years. Sean McVay confirmed the Rams and Stafford have had some talks about his contract, though there’s seemingly been no resolution yet.
McVay was asked whether Stafford would attend OTAs amid this request for more money, but he was uncertain and said “we’ll see.”
Well, on Monday, the Rams saw. They saw their quarterback on the field in a red jersey participating in OTAs for the first time. Stafford isn’t skipping these voluntary workouts, which suggests he doesn’t plan to hold out until his contract is adjusted.

The Rams are going to have a lot of new faces on the team this year, including tight end Colby Parkinson, wide receiver Jordan Whittington, quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo, guard Jonah Jackson and running back Blake Corum, among others.
Stafford would probably like to develop a rapport with them sooner rather than later, so it’s good to see him attending workouts despite them being voluntary.
No shit Sherlock. For Stafford and the Rams this is just business as usual. A classic “non-issue”

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
No shit Sherlock. For Stafford and the Rams this is just business as usual. A classic “non-issue”

You seriously throwing a "No Shit Sherlock" insult at me?
Seems more than a few on ROD have been a bit uppity and arrogant lately.

I thought QB attending first day of OTAs despite contract concerns was good news when I saw it in my feed this morning. I didn't see the news anywhere else on the board, so posted it. I certainly didn't know the news was obvious and well known. Like you, I expected it.

Fuck it. I'll post less.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You seriously throwing a "No Shit Sherlock" insult at me?
Seems more than a few on ROD have been a bit uppity and arrogant lately.

I thought QB attending first day of OTAs despite contract concerns was good news when I saw it in my feed this morning. I didn't see the news anywhere else on the board, so posted it. I certainly didn't know the news was obvious and well known. Like you, I expected it.

Fuck it. I'll post less.
I don't think it was aimed at you; I believe it was aimed at those in the media trying to stir everything up.