Sporting News Power Rankings (Rams #17)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...-2014-seahawks-49ers-broncos-packers/slide/13

It’s the time when every NFL team has the same goal; they all just want to get to the Super Bowl. While the Seahawks will begin the season on the pole, they know it will be hard to stay on a Super-winning roll.

Yes, we're rhyming our way through the 2014 power rankings debut. Games don't count yet, and there's plenty of fun to be had. We're taking this seriously, of course, but no one's playing starters in the fourth quarter, yet. So lighten up and enjoy; there's plenty more where this comes from.

256188-375-264.jpg

Russell Wilson (AP Photo)

They’re defending champs led by wily old Pete, returning that defense that’s oh-so sweet. They go into the season as the team to beat, but it's unfortunately unlikely the Seahawks will repeat.

#2 http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...n-2014-seahawks-49ers-broncos-packers/slide/1
256189-375-264.jpg

Colin Kaepernick (AP Photo)

The 49ers have been right there but not fine enough. Still Harbaugh’s gang is always tough. Some defensive concerns might make it rough, but we’re about to see Kaepernick strut his very best stuff. NEXT

256190-375-264.jpg

Peyton Manning (AP Photo)

Peyton came close but no cigar, even though that offense set such a high bar. With an improved defense they’re really not that far, relying a little less on The Sheriff to be such a star. NEXT

256191-375-264.jpg

Aaron Rodgers (AP Photo)

Everyone knows they’re well armed with A-Rod, who returns to his place as a passing god. They can now run again on that frozen Lambeau sod, and that’s why they get the third NFC nod. NEXT

256192-375-264.jpg

Brandin Cooks (AP Photo)

Just when you thought their offense couldn’t be more of a Brees, they add a Cooks to the kitchen to further please. That defense no longer puts opponents at ease, with a pass rush and secondary that’s not just a tease. NEXT

256193-375-264.jpg

Tom Brady (AP Photo)

They still have that man named Brady, and that coach who’s more shrewd than shady. Gronk in that offense is prettier than the quarterback’s lady, they’ll battle for the AFC even when not quite cady. NEXT

256194-375-264.jpg

Andrew Luck (AP Photo)

Their rushing attack and defense haven’t run amok, but they are fortunate to have such a good Luck. As they give him more help and they're no longer stuck, they'll get more bang from their talented young buck. NEXT

256195-375-264.jpg

LeSean McCoy (AP Photo)

It didn’t take long for Kelly's offense to succeed, and in Foles they have their quarterback indeed. We love their running game with Shady up to speed, but just a little more D is what they still need. NEXT

256196-375-264.jpg

Ben Roethlisberger (AP Photo)

Believe in Big Ben to have his best season for real, and that zone running game gives the team more zeal. Thanks to some infused young talent, that Curtain again is more like steel; that’s why have they have some big rebound appeal. NEXT

256197-375-264.jpg

Andy Dalton (AP Photo)

Their offense is about to take on a different Hue, which will help Dalton better earn what’s due. There’s no longer reason for Jungle fans to be blue, because they remain AFC contenders so true. NEXT

256198-375-264.jpg

Jared Allen (AP Photo)

Great things came from their offense after Trestman got their trust; now it’s up to Cutler to go boom instead of bust. Their run defense still needs to shake off some rust, but adding Allen gives their pass rush more gust. NEXT

256199-375-264.jpg

Cam Newton (AP Photo)

Everyone’s worried about who’s catching balls from Cam, but their offensive line and secondary are bound to cause more jam. Luke and that front seven still give them plenty of wham, and don’t forget about Thomas working the SAM. NEXT

256200-375-264.jpg

Joe Flacco (AP Photo)

Although Ray and Ed will play never more, there are signs their defense has rebuilt full bore. They’ll still need an above-average Joes to help them more, because that new-look offense needs to score. NEXT

256201-375-264.jpg

Jamaal Charles (AP Photo)

They couldn’t ask much more from their first season with Andy; Jamaal and Alex helped turn that offense into a dandy. Year 2 comes with harder candy, and coming up with enough wins is a lot less handy. NEXT

256202-375-264.jpg

Geno Smith (AP Photo)

They have been smart to make Geno their quarterback pick, even with the presence of Michael Vick. Rex should know his run defense remains sick, but he’ll hope Pryor knowledge gives their secondary an uptick. NEXT

256203-375-264.jpg

Carson Palmer (AP Photo)

The defense still looks OK, even without Dockett, but now they need more from Carson in the pocket. On Floyd, on Fitz, on Brown as part of that sprocket, but everyone’s most excited about Andre the rocket. NEXT

256204-375-264.jpg

Robert Quinn (AP Photo)

Their ferocious front-four pass rush is led by the mighty Quinn, but one must wonder if their offense will do them in. Playing in a division where it’s hard to win, it’s hard to buy that sleeper playoff spin.

Irish

Starter
I think the Rams are better than the Cardinals and probably the Jets, but the rest makes sense. The cream of the crop is really, really good this year.

Nice to see us close to the middle of the pack, for a change. Nowhere to go but up!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Far from the days of being ranked in the high 20's or even 30's.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
17 I can live with just fine.

I take issue with the Ravens and Jets namely. I don't think the Steelers defense will be good enough to keep them that high either, but the offense will be potent.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
WTF is with all the rhyming? lol. At any rate, I can live with that rank. The Rams themselves can take it from there.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
^This Ranking Looks more like a popularity contest than a Power Ranking!

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The ranking seems in the right range. The Rams have to prove they're a top team, after all. I just hated the rankings that put the Rams as far worse than they were last season for no clear reason. They have likely improved, after all, between age, two high draft picks, and getting their starting QB back, if nothing else.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seems like a reasonable starting point.

The media, much like us fans, aren't really sure what we have in these Rams.

Like X said, it's up to the Rams to take it from there.

FRO

Legend
If we can run the ball and play good defense we will win games.

AZRamsFan93

Who cares about power ranking teams that have yet to play a game?

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Tis indeed time for power rankings galore as the sports media put forth opinions only they truly adore.
While subjective rankings are fun to debate, only a season once played reveals the good and the great.

For our Rams, a 17th place ranking is actually not a sham but I think they can do better and so does Sam.

nanotech

Rookie
I think the Chiefs have a good chance of going from first (sort of) to worst. They lost a lot on the oline, and they had a fluff schedule last year. If you are looking at potential record for 2014, I'd agree with the Rams ranking. But, I think they will be more difficult to play against than a 17th power ranking gives them credit for.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
We beat the crap out the Bears, Colts, and Saints with our back up QB all 3 of which are in the top 11 on this ranking I think that moves us into the top 10

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I wonder if Andrew Got Lucky is always tired from dragging around all of the "media experts" on his nutsack?

VARam

Fair ranking. The only unit that will slow us down will be the offense.