Some Perspective on Colts and Luck

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
There's a lot of amazement among fans and the media over the Colts 9-4 record, considering they were 2-14 last year. Luck has been a big part of that, with 6 comeback victories. But should it be so astonishing?

The Colts were division winners in 2010 (despite it being one of Manning's lesser years), as well as perennial playoff contenders. Manning was a big part of that and when they lost him for 2011, were woefully unprepared at QB to pick up the slack. Their offense struggled to score. There were some other tough injuries as well.

The defense the Colts played was predicated on keeping pressure on the offense through the Colts' offense. Once that force was gone, their defense had to find another way to play and they rarely did.

And yet, they still possessed the core of a team to build around. Certainly they still have some playmakers on offense and defense. They didn't have to rebuild so extensively and leave Luck to fend for himself. There are vets on that team that remember what it takes to win.

Luck has been very good (apart from the INT issues) and has made plays when he needs to. I don't want anyone to think I'm downplaying what he's done. But I submit that Luck is more a cog on a team that experienced a wtf season and is getting back to what they were with Manning, though there will be some hiccups along the way.

Your opinions?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I haven't delved into their roster, but after a cursory glance, they replaced quite a few players.

I think that team is riding the waves of emotion that come with rallying around the coach. Plus, Luck is just that good. He's gonna make rookie mistakes and whatnot, but he's the real deal. And it never ever ever hurts to have Reggie Wayne at your disposal. I would KILL to have someone like him on this team. Dude's a football magnet.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I know they replaced players, but how many years in a row did they have 13+ wins before their sudden dive last year? Plus they still have a HOF WR.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
I haven't delved into their roster, but after a cursory glance, they replaced quite a few players.

I think that team is riding the waves of emotion that come with rallying around the coach. Plus, Luck is just that good. He's gonna make rookie mistakes and whatnot, but he's the real deal. And it never ever ever hurts to have Reggie Wayne at your disposal. I would KILL to have someone like him on this team. Dude's a football magnet.
I agree with you. But that only strengthens my opinion. Luck is a plug-and-play rookie QB, blessed with a roster that, despite the turnover, still has the vets who remember the winning. There was no "losing culture" in Indy.

Their defense may have a ways to go, but that offense can cover most of the rookie's mistakes.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ram Quixote said:
X said:

I agree with you. But that only strengthens my opinion. Luck is a plug-and-play rookie QB, blessed with a roster that, despite the turnover, still has the vets who remember the winning. There was no "losing culture" in Indy.

Their defense may have a ways to go, but that offense can cover most of the rookie's mistakes.
Yes, that's a good point.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I submit that the Colts absolutely tanked it last year in order to get luck. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I truly feel that they did. I watched quite a few of their games and as bad as Painter is, I think the playcalling screamed sandbagging to me. Too much talent on that roster to go 2-14. It just seemed predestined to happen. I mean, c'mon...Luck, with a horseshoe on his helmet?? In all honesty, I felt the same way about Superbowl 36. How could the "Patriots" lose that Superbowl after 9/11? Oh, and a plane never hit the Pentagon..... :rofl:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Faceplant said:
I submit that the Colts absolutely tanked it last year in order to get luck. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I truly feel that they did. I watched quite a few of their games and as bad as Painter is, I think the playcalling screamed sandbagging to me. Too much talent on that roster to go 2-14. It just seemed predestined to happen. I mean, c'mon...Luck, with a horseshoe on his helmet?? In all honesty, I felt the same way about Superbowl 36. How could the "Patriots" lose that Superbowl after 9/11? Oh, and a plane never hit the Pentagon..... :rofl:
Yeah, outside of the shellacking they took from the Saints last year, they weren't really out of any games they played. Maybe Atlanta too. Didn't look like they were on the same page, and Painter is awful. If they had even a modest backup, they probably wouldn't have drafted first this year. Which begs the question. What if they did win one more. What if we lost one more. There would be a KING'S ransom for the first pick in the draft this year. Mike Ditka type of trade and then some.

And you're right. No plane at all. (but that's for another forum).

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
It's not really the same team. Aside from Manning, they cut or let go Clark, Garcon, Tamme, Addai, Saturday, Jamaal Anderson, Ernie Sims, Jacob Lacey, Fulton, Bracket + some backups.

Most of the guys except Addai/Anderson/Sims are either starting or still playing at a high level.

It's basically a brand new team for them, much like the Rams are. They've been really lucky to win those games, like 7-1 in 1 TD or less games. Plus they really have an easy schedule, and I think it was SOKA or mars on the PD that posted that the Colts only played 1 top D, while the Rams have played like 5 or 6. That makes a difference.

The Colts got destroyed by the Patriots (just like the Rams), the Bears (kinda like the Rams), and the Jets (sort of like the Rams). They also lost to Jacksonville...in Indy. Sure makes it easier when you play said Jaguars and Titans twice. They beat the Bills, Vikings, Browns, Dolphins, Lions, and Packers (their best win). Haven't played Houston at all yet.

I'm not taking anything away from them, have to find ways to win and they are. They just gotta be a bit more complete, and I think they take a step back next year.