Some NFL observers predict big things for Cooper Kupp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
You keep concentrating on the writers.

I could give a flying hump about the writers.

I am a former journalist and I know how that game works.

I'm pointing out that players, professionals who have played this game extensively at a high level voluntarily came forward and gushed about Kupp's abilities.

It means something;
It means they see an extraordinary ability.

I can't recall any players coming forward en masse like that to express their admiration for the abilities of a player.

Particularly a third rounder.

jap

Legend
Jap. Notice no mention of "writers".

Suggestion: Do a search on jap as poster and Kupp as the search term and see what I had to say about Cooper back then. I do believe you will see that I can gush with the best of them.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Jeez. I'm so tired of all the speculation. I'll one up it. Along with Kupp, Nelson Spruce will emerge as Rams #2 widout on the other side and also have 70 receptions.
I really like this!! And they will do it by running a " Double Post" a lot with these two, just like Vermeil/Martz did with B-R-U-U-U-C-E and ' Big Game' Tory Holt!!(y)(y););):D:D:yay::yess:

Ram65

Legend
View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/good-morning-football/0ap3000000809845/Bold-rookie-predictions-for-Cooper-Kupp

http://www.foxsports.com/writer/peter-schrager
"Peter Schrager is a National NFL Reporter for FS1, a senior NFL writer for FOXSports.com, and an NFL sideline reporter for FOX Sports. Schrager is the co-author of two books: "Strength of a Champion" with OJ Brigance (2013), and the New York Times Best Seller "Out of the Blue" with Victor Cruz (2012)."

He has some good credentials as far reporting and writing about the NFL. So this guy has been on the Cooper Kupp bandwagon for a long time. Now, he makes a bold prediction of 70 catches for Kupp in his rookie year. It's all part of passing the time until the season starts. Cousins threw 606 passes. Goff and Keenum threw 527 passes put had more sacks. I like the reasoning as Kupp is the perfect saftey net with running the right precision routes. In context 70 is not totally out of the picture. At this point Woods, Kupp and Austin would be the top three receivers. It's all in fun while passing the off season away.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/washingtonredskins/statistics?team=WAS
http://www.nfl.com/teams/losangelesrams/statistics?team=LA

Pierre Garcon 79
Jamison Crowder 67
Jordan Reed 66
DeSean Jackson 56
Chris Thompson 49
Vernon Davis 44
Rob Kelley 12
Ryan Grant 9
Matt Jones 8
Maurice Harris 8
Josh Doctson 2
Niles Paul 2
Derek Carrier 2
Quinton Dunbar 1
Mack Brown 1

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Kupp will have a great rookie season if everything else is in place. That's the thing with wideouts, they're dependent to a large degree on the QB and his protections, as well as the scheme being well run. He's such a nice fit for this scheme that success is almost assured if those things are good, and of course if he can avoid injury which pertains to all players.

But yeah it is nice to have a guy like him in house, where you know you can count on him. I think Goff also is going to count on Higbee, and who knows maybe even Everett if McVay does a great job getting him ready (in that case I'd expect him to start kind of slow and ramp up as the season goes on). That's the wild card in all this: McVay's depth of knowledge with TEs and his history of getting those guys prepared at next-level in terms of knowledge of scheme and play design.

The real unknown is the rest of the wideouts. Whether Tavon is going to get serious with his fundamentals as a wideout. Who will be the other guy/s who step up, if any. That's why I can't wait to see camp and preseason, more for those other guys, as I'm pretty sure our rook is going to earn his check.

tempests

Hall of Fame
I'm pointing out that players, professionals who have played this game extensively at a high level voluntarily came forward and gushed about Kupp's abilities.

It means something;
It means they see an extraordinary ability.

I can't recall any players coming forward en masse like that to express their admiration for the abilities of a player.

There are always a few players like that in every draft. Especially with the advent of social media, current NFL players following the combine or college football are always commenting on what they see.

It seems unusual because it's typically you don't hear it about players the Rams take.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
There are always a few players like that in every draft. Especially with the advent of social media, current NFL players following the combine or college football are always commenting on what they see.

It seems unusual because it's typically you don't hear it about players the Rams take.
Still waiting for examples.

They don't even have to be pro bowlers. : )

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Suggestion: Do a search on jap as poster and Kupp as the search term and see what I had to say about Cooper back then. I do believe you will see that I can gush with the best of them.
Seriously? : )

jap

Legend
Seriously? : )

You raise the issue of me not fully appreciating Kupp and the things other veterans had to say about him so go see what I had to say around and shortly after the 2017 NFL Draft.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Guys it doesn't matter to me which poster gushed about what or who knows how to use Google.

I have never seen a player drafted, especially a 3rd rounder, that has this many players voluntarily come forward and gush about how good they think he's going to be.

Period.
If you have, more power to you. :D

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
You raise the issue of me not fully appreciating Kupp and the things other veterans had to say about him so go see what I had to say around and shortly after the 2017 NFL Draft.
Dude, I never raised any issue about you.
I'm not even sure how this became about you.

Read above if you need a clarification.

......and done.....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True, but Landry has Kenny Stills & Allen has had others that stretch the field so the secondary's can't just press all the time because they do not fear being beat over the top, it's called vertical congestion and the theory is, if there is no deep threat the other receivers won't have areas of the field to get open.

Now here is where I do believe the Rams have receivers that can get deep in the likes of Austin & Reynolds, in fact, that is where Reynolds excels. Again, Austin will play the DeSean Jackson in this offense, but the debate of Kupp not getting enough opportunities is derived from the fact that there will not be enough moving parts for Kupp to get open and it will not be Kupp, but the lack of other quality wide receivers on the team that will result in the lack of receptions.

Pressing isn't really the issue. If you have a team that can't beat you over the top, you're more likely going to give a cushion and have your guys squat on shorter routes.(although, it'll depend on the CBs and scheme) The issue with pressing is if they win off the LOS, they don't need to beat you vertically to win with their route.

However, I think vertical congestion is a bit overrated if you have a good scheme and good WRs. The Patriots had no vertical threats last year, but they schemed guys open vertically and were very difficult to stop in the short to intermediate range because of their route running.

You just have to have an offensive mind able to take advantage of team's trying to take away the short and intermediate routes. We definitely have not had that in the past. I think we have that this year.

As for deep threats, my hope is that Austin, Mike Thomas, and/or Josh Reynolds prove to be that (and Everett too). It would certainly make things easier. However, you still have to respect a guy like Kupp deep. He can win in a variety of ways against iso coverage.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
However, I think vertical congestion is a bit overrated if you have a good scheme and good WRs. The Patriots had no vertical threats last year,
Moving forward when debating schemes please exclude the New England Patriots from all subject matter until Brady & Belichick retire and when debating dynasties, please exclude the Ming Dynasty as well...Thank you Counselor.

Memphis Ram

Legend
True, but Landry has Kenny Stills & Allen has had others that stretch the field so the secondary's can't just press all the time because they do not fear being beat over the top, it's called vertical congestion and the theory is, if there is no deep threat the other receivers won't have areas of the field to get open.

Actually, Mike Wallace was the guy on the other side during Landry's rookie season. Malcolm Floyd was the deep threat in San Diego with Allen. But, I'm sure TE Antonio Gates garnered quite a bit of attention during Allen's rookie season too.

However, I think vertical congestion is a bit overrated if you have a good scheme and good WRs. The Patriots had no vertical threats last year, but they schemed guys open vertically and were very difficult to stop in the short to intermediate range because of their route running.

You just have to have an offensive mind able to take advantage of team's trying to take away the short and intermediate routes. We definitely have not had that in the past. I think we have that this year.

Most importantly, the Patriots have an All-Pro QB in Tom Brady.

IMO, there have been open WRs being missed all over the league by inferior QBs. Even with the Rams.

Last edited:

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Pressing isn't really the issue.........

.....vertical congestion is a bit overrated if you have a good scheme and good WRs......

As for deep threats.......Austin, Mike Thomas, and/or Josh Reynolds (and Everett too). It would certainly make things easier. However, you still have to respect a guy like Kupp deep. He can win in a variety of ways against iso coverage.

JRRY, as always, nice read.

The KEY POINT in that concise and informative post is "have to have an offensive mind".......

My hope is the number of posts containing names such as, but not limited to, Fisher, Keenum, Quick, Britt, Boras and Williams and the phrases "lousy receiving corps", "need to throw deep", "lack of protection" and "need more touchdowns" dwindle quickly, eventually becoming non-existent by the end of September.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Moving forward when debating schemes please exclude the New England Patriots from all subject matter until Brady & Belichick retire and when debating dynasties, please exclude the Ming Dynasty as well...Thank you Counselor.

The Saints are another example of a team who were extremely effective without a major vertical threat for years. They'd grab speedy JAGs and make them productive in that role (Robert Meachem, Joe Morgan, Devery Henderson, etc.).