Softli examines where the Rams stand re: player evaluation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Point taken, however, I need to see McCarren at the combine, but I like his size and his ability to lead plus he and Barret Jones could start going at it again at training camp.
I'd have no problem with him figuring he'd be a career backup, but since I'm thinking the Rams are looking for a guy to groom to become Sam's successor in the unlikely event Sam falters,I'd like a guy with more
potential.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'd have no problem with him figuring he'd be a career backup, but since I'm thinking the Rams are looking for a guy to groom to become Sam's successor in the unlikely event Sam falters,I'd like a guy with more
potential.
IMO I think McCarren offers more than a career back-up, in fact, he reminds me of Tom Brady in some ways when Brady came out of Michigan. But I will bite who do you think offers more upside? Let's be very careful here remember the Rams drafted Jason Smith over Eugene Monroe because of Smith's ceiling!

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I sure do not agree with Softli here or many other areas. I can not think of any reasons why a Rams team desiring to have a winning season for the first time in over a decade would insert a under 5-10/179 pound over 30 ex CB into safety. Did I not see a 6-3 232 pound safety named Kam Chancellor playing starting on the SB winning team?
http://www.nfl.com/player/cortlandfinnegan/2506978/profile

Fisher has been a good in the NFL on trends and changes and we just witnessed Fisher draft a rangy safety over 6-2 220 pounds Fisher has kept a 215 pound ex Spags safety around for 2 seasons Fisher brought in a 210 pound veteran Giordano. Fisher has signed two UDFA in another tall rangy over 6-2 210 pound Davis and the 212 pound Daniels....ROD'mers have complained constantly about the size of starting safety Rodney McLeod who is 5-10 195 pounds.
http://www.nfl.com/player/rodneymcleod/2534832/profile

I would think Softli knows that Fisher would be uncomfortable to pay very much for a lightweight under sized slowing down safety named Cortland to help him win the Seattle Seahawk games & Cortland will take out the Marshawn Lynch beast!:confused:. Softli may want to remember that Fisher's defense does not employ Free Safeties they are left & right both playing all the responsibilities of SS/FS. I really believe that Fisher has showed us where he is wanting to go with the players he wants @ safety and a under 5-10 179 pounder is going in the opposite direction.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but more-so for arguments' sake: more than a few ROD members were falling over themselves to pick up Tyrann Mathieu who is smaller, benched less and had a slower 40 time than Finnegan. He plays a CB/Safety hybrid spot for the Cardinals, and I do believe had himself a pretty decent season there.

Now, would I plug Cortland there to kick of the season? Probably not, but if the guy restructured and was willing to work at it, why the hell not?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
IMO I think McCarren offers more than a career back-up, in fact, he reminds me of Tom Brady in some ways when Brady came out of Michigan. But I will bite who do you think offers more upside? Let's be very careful here remember the Rams drafted Jason Smith over Eugene Monroe because of Smith's ceiling!
No clue den ,I only comment on players I've personally watched and I've seen more on McCarren than anyone,I won't bore you with adopting someone else's opinion and passing it off as my own.
Maybe the kid who did so well in the East West game Garappolo, but FWIW if we're going to draft a guy with the possible intent of replacing Sam should he falter,I'd want to use nothing lower than a 2nd round choice unless you have a gone to hell QB talent evaluater on your staff,maybe we do but since I am just going with what I've seen and relying upon consensus the possible destiny of the player and the importance of the job I'd expect him to take ,QB of the future isn't a low round priority.

I'd love to bring Martz in to our scouting dept. for just this purpose.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but more-so for arguments' sake: more than a few ROD members were falling over themselves to pick up Tyrann Mathieu who is smaller, benched less and had a slower 40 time than Finnegan. He plays a CB/Safety hybrid spot for the Cardinals, and I do believe had himself a pretty decent season there.

Now, would I plug Cortland there to kick of the season? Probably not, but if the guy restructured and was willing to work at it, why the hell not?

I can not speak on behalf of the ROD'mers who were advocates of drafting Mathieu sure worked out well for AZ. He was a risk like JJ & Trumaine Johnson were. The great advantage in AZ favor that was not here for the Rams is ...his mentor Patrick Peterson just happens to play next to him in AZ. Mathieu is talented enough to play safety but in truth as he grows in the NFL he will be a starting CB IMO. Mathieu played the Nickle a lot of times. I would not even try to compare the talent of Mathieu with the present day Cortland Finnegan. Mathieu is the real deal. It would be a big mistake IMO to pay CF a small dime to play here in 2014. Finnegan never hit like Mathieu. Tyrann is one condensed ball of hell! 5-9 190 pounder who hits like a LB'er.