So what do you think, are NFL players underpaid? Odell Beckham Jr. seems to think so

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Should NFL players get paid more than athletes in other sports because the game is more dangerous?

• Yes

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 39 81.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 3 6.3%

• Total voters

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
No. The only players who should be demanding more money are the players who have retired and are currently suffering. Just another reason to hate OBJ.

If I were Ogletree I would have done exactly what he did to OBJ on that play out of bounds. God that game made me hate OBJ so much

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The players receive:

1. 55 percent of league media, which includes all broadcasting revenue—television, satellite, radio and Internet.
  2. 45 percent of NFL Ventures and the NFL postseason revenues—including all revenue from the operation of postseason NFL games, as well as revenues arising from the operation of NFL-affiliated entities, such as NFL Mobile, NFL.com, NFL Productions and the television channel NFL Network.
  3. 40 percent of local revenue—which consists of "all revenue received or to be received by the clubs or club affiliates and not included in League Media or NFL Ventures and Postseason revenue."
Sounds like the employees get a large share of the revenue to me. I don't know many companies that pay that much of the revenues to their employees and that isn't even all of the employees it doesn't account for front office or just office type employees to me.

Not only that but are there any other sports that have a hard salary cap and also mandate that their teams must spend 95% of the salary cap? I get what he's saying and I agree with others that the retired players ,especially those in the NFL for a minimum of years, could be treated better most especially by the Union. But complaining to the public that his 4 year $10.4 million dollar deal that he signed at the age of 21 isn't enough is not likely to get him much sympathy.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Keep in mind that the owners get over a billion off the top of revenues to cover expenses, PLUS a large amount for stadium expenses. Those percentages are AFTER the owner's guarantees are taken out. Basically, virtually all of the owner's fixed costs are covered, and then they get about half of the remaining revenues. So each team gets hundreds of millions to cover incidentals, coaching salaries, and the salaries owners pay themselves and their families - the biggest expense is already taken out with player salaries and salary expenses. Most of this revenue is guaranteed to them, whether they run their teams well or not.

I'm just not sure I understand why some fans seem to root for the owners to make more than they would be likely to make investing in a risky business. I'd rather the players get more - and yes, have much of the money go to retired players.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Perhaps a deal where retired players get 1/3 of the annual revenues, current players get another 1/3, and the owners/league get the final 1/3. Then, we wouldn't have former players going broke and homeless.

haha, and then we could all go to fairyland and fly with the fairies.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Do the players sign a contract for $X? Do they have a "union" that negotiates for their contracts? Do the players have anything to do with negotiating what the owners get paid for their product?

They make plenty and should be thankful they were born with the skills and ability and timely discoveries that allows them to make that kind of jack.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I say No! I don't agree with the premise of the question! Have you ever met a hockey player with all of his teeth? Ever played Basket ball and caught an elbow trying to go up after a ball? They don't wear any pads in soccer! OBJ has even played that long in the NFL to find out what pain he's going to go through!!

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
The players that are underpaid are the fringe players if you want to go that route. They don't make enough to set themselves up for life and most play special teams which can be more dangerous.

I agree some football players are very under paid, but Odell, you are not one of them.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
The players that are underpaid are the fringe players if you want to go that route. They don't make enough to set themselves up for life and most play special teams which can be more dangerous.

I agree some football players are very under paid, but Odell, you are not one of them.

Fringe players? Possibly. Just looked at Adrian Robinson. Dead from apparent suicide at twenty-five.

One thing, ONE thing that the NFL and all football leagues should be looking hard at is mandatory counseling for all players. It might be able to prevent some of the stuff that they do and might go through.

fearsomefour

Legend
Didnt bother reading the article.
No need as the discussion is always the same really.
Supply and demand. Little else matters. I would say if a guy is not a high draft pick an suffers a serious injury one could say he was underpaid. But, that's why these guys need to carry their own insurance related to bein able to work.