Snisher had an epiphony

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's what I'm thinking now after I've had a few days looking back.

YES Fisher was glad Sam was here and one of the reasons he came. YES they tried to get him the weapons he needed in Quick, Givens, TA, and Cook. YES they were trying to roll out a spread type of offense for him...

Then SB went down last season and they had an epiphany: It isn't going to work and Sam's not our guy.

They EXPECTED this day and prepared for it. It explains Robinson 1st with Watkins on the board, Tre Mason in the 3rd, dropping KC and grabbing SH. Bringing in Britt whose fight for the ball mentality is more fitted to an average QB where a speedster would be more valuable to SB.

While they clearly were selling the idea of a 2014 ground and pound ball control offense, they were EXPECTING they would probably have to do it without SB. They DIDN'T build the O-line's pass protection.

I mean, who builds a ground and pound around a $60M QB with a laser throw and long ball arm? Who ignores pass protection holes if the team is being built for a QB?

Snisher saw the writing on the wall and acted accordingly. THIS is from the Seahawks model and that's where they believed they would go.

You picking up what I'm laying down?

Nope. Confirmation bias.

In fact, much of what you said just doesn't make sense. It's a misrepresentation of the situation imo.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
Wow. Tough crowd.

I think there's some validity to what the OP is saying. I think they wanted to build an offense capable of sustaining itself as a run-first unit (and no, I don't think that was always the plan necessarily, lets remember that we were expecting more of a passing/well-balanced attack at this time last year), and I think they wanted to find a tough receiver capable of fighting for the tough yards.

Did Sam's injury last year influence this blue print completely? Probably not. But his absence allowed the coaches to see what this team is capable of as a run-first group.

Did Sam's questionable health make this regime even more willing to build a tough ground game? Who knows...but I'm sure it didn't hurt the argument. You can't tell me that during the scouting process of Robinson/Mason, that not once did anyone at Rams Park ponder the upside of these players in the event Bradford goes down.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What did I misrepresent?

Them not trying to improve pass protection? I think Saffold and Robinson were pretty major attempts at improving the pass protection.

I also would argue that you're misrepresenting their motives for moving towards a physical, smash-mouth offense. It wasn't to move away from Sam's strengths, it was to move towards them. It was to help him play his best and ultimately, help the offense play its best as an unit.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Them not trying to improve pass protection? I think Saffold and Robinson were pretty major attempts at improving the pass protection.

I also would argue that you're misrepresenting their motives for moving towards a physical, smash-mouth offense. It wasn't to move away from Sam's strengths, it was to move towards them. It was to help him play his best and ultimately, help the offense play its best as an unit.

I think we can all agree Robinson is lacking in pass protection skills.

Anyway, that's my theory.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we can all agree Robinson is lacking in pass protection skills.

Anyway, that's my theory.

I don't think we can all agree with that. I think at LG, Robinson isn't lacking in pass pro skills. He is lacking in experience. The Rams making the investment they did in the OL this off-season contradicts the story you're selling imo.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I don't think we can all agree with that. I think at LG, Robinson isn't lacking in pass pro skills. He is lacking in experience. The Rams making the investment they did in the OL this off-season contradicts the story you're selling imo.

Investments? They kept who they had after letting him go. What improvements did they make to pass protection over last season?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Investments? They kept who they had after letting him go. What improvements did they make to pass protection over last season?

They paid out a nice chunk of change($35 million) to retain Rodger Saffold and then spent the #2 overall pick on an OL. Enough said.

What improvements did they make? Rodger Saffold >>>> Harvey Dahl, Greg Robinson >>> Chris Williams.

RamzFanz

Damnit
They paid out a nice chunk of change($35 million) to retain Rodger Saffold and then spent the #2 overall pick on an OL. Enough said.

What improvements did they make? Rodger Saffold >>>> Harvey Dahl, Greg Robinson >>> Chris Williams.
Ok dude. Whatever you want to see.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok dude. Whatever you want to see.

I see a #2 overall pick added and a player given a top 10 annual at his position salary at his position to return to our OL.

How does one conclude that they did not want to protect the QB?

I'm not choosing what I want to see. I'm seeing what's there.

You might be right in the Rams moving towards a more run-centric offense to hedge their bets and insulate themselves in case of Bradford suffering another injury. However, the contention that they did not try to improve the pass protection this off-season is a false one. Your conclusion is influencing that premise...that's confirmation bias, my friend. :)

RamzFanz

Damnit
I see a #2 overall pick added and a player given a top 10 annual at his position salary at his position to return to our OL.

How does one conclude that they did not want to protect the QB?

I'm not choosing what I want to see. I'm seeing what's there.

You might be right in the Rams moving towards a more run-centric offense to hedge their bets and insulate themselves in case of Bradford suffering another injury. However, the contention that they did not try to improve the pass protection this off-season is a false one. Your conclusion is influencing that premise...that's confirmation bias, my friend. :)

I would agree if Robinson was a reputable pass blocker. He's not. He pass blocked 30% of the time in college and not really well. It's why he won't start.

Saffold was a no-brainer if Bradford is here or not.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would agree if Robinson was a reputable pass blocker. He's not. He pass blocked 30% of the time in college and not really well. It's why he won't start.

Saffold was a no-brainer if Bradford is here or not.

At LT right now. Guy is a rock with great feet. His pass pro skills translate well to OG. Just needs experience in the system and coaching.

But the Rams also didn't draft Robinson based on what he offers in 2014. As with any pick, they were looking to the future.