Sean McVay quick to put the blame on himself

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://www.espn.com/blog/st-louis-r...-sean-mcvay-quick-to-put-the-blame-on-himself

upload_2017-9-19_20-53-29.png

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- The theme of Sean McVay's postgame availability on Sunday was guilt. The Los Angeles Rams' rookie head coach spent the moments following a 27-20 loss to the Washington Redskins blaming himself, for everything from Todd Gurley's early struggles to Jared Goff's late interception to the offensive inconsistencies as a whole.

The following phrases filled the transcript from McVay's press conference:

"It starts with me."

"I know that we'll look at ourselves critically in the mirror, coaches included, starting with me."

"I've got to do a better job."

"I probably could have given us a better play."

"I've got to do a better job for our team as a whole."

As he was preparing to become the youngest head coach in modern NFL history, McVay sought guidance. And one of the core pieces of advice came from Jon and Jay Gruden, who told him to take responsibility when needed. The Rams entered the season with the NFL's second-youngest roster, but their head coach is exceedingly young too. They're all growing together.

"We always talk about coachability," McVay, 31, said Monday. "Certainly if I’m not being coachable or being critical of myself when I’m not doing the things that I need to do to try to be helpful in trying to achieve wins, and putting players in good spots, then that’s something that you have to be aware of. You can’t be afraid to admit that."

McVay pointing the finger at himself wasn't an act; he legitimately believes he let the offense down.

McVay never felt he "allowed our players to get into a rhythm." The Redskins' highly effective running game chewed up so much clock that the Rams' offense ran only nine plays in the first quarter. On their next play from scrimmage, Gurley fumbled. And when they got the ball again, they trailed 13-0 with just more than 12 minutes left before halftime.

"So you've got 10 plays," McVay said. "And I thought then that I let those circumstances affect the way that you go about your normal rhythm, as opposed to just staying one play at a time, like you talk about, to try to keep your run-pass balance, knowing that you still have a whole game to get back in it."

In other words, McVay panicked.

Gurley ultimately was effective on the ground, picking up 88 yards on 16 carries and running for a touchdown (he had a touchdown catch too). But the Rams were too reliant on their passing game. They threw the ball on seven of their first nine plays, and when the fourth quarter began, Gurley had only nine carries. The Rams went into their Week 2 game hoping to establish the run early, but McVay scrapped those plans when they fell behind.

After it was over, McVay lamented his own "uncharacteristic decisions" and "indecisiveness."

"We always talk about letting our approach and our preparation lead to good performance, and the process over results always," McVay said. "I thought, regardless of the way that some things played out, when you go into a game, you always envision kind of how you want to try to put your players in good spots. I didn’t necessarily follow through with that plan, based on the way things played out. I think there are times when you have to do that, but I thought there was a handful of situations where I didn’t need to do that, and I did. And it made it tougher on our players than it should’ve been."

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
http://www.espn.com/blog/st-louis-r...-sean-mcvay-quick-to-put-the-blame-on-himself

View attachment 21671

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- The theme of Sean McVay's postgame availability on Sunday was guilt. The Los Angeles Rams' rookie head coach spent the moments following a 27-20 loss to the Washington Redskins blaming himself, for everything from Todd Gurley's early struggles to Jared Goff's late interception to the offensive inconsistencies as a whole.

"It starts with me."

"I know that we'll look at ourselves critically in the mirror, coaches included, starting with me."

As he was preparing to become the youngest head coach in modern NFL history, McVay sought guidance. And one of the core pieces of advice came from Jon and Jay Gruden, who told him to take responsibility when needed. The Rams entered the season with the NFL's second-youngest roster, but their head coach is exceedingly young too. They're all growing together.

"We always talk about coachability," McVay, 31, said Monday. "Certainly if I’m not being coachable or being critical of myself when I’m not doing the things that I need to do to try to be helpful in trying to achieve wins, and putting players in good spots, then that’s something that you have to be aware of. You can’t be afraid to admit that."

McVay pointing the finger at himself wasn't an act; he legitimately believes he let the offense down.

McVay never felt he "allowed our players to get into a rhythm." The Redskins' highly effective running game chewed up so much clock that the Rams' offense ran only nine plays in the first quarter. On their next play from scrimmage, Gurley fumbled. And when they got the ball again, they trailed 13-0 with just more than 12 minutes left before halftime.

"So you've got 10 plays," McVay said. "And I thought then that I let those circumstances affect the way that you go about your normal rhythm, as opposed to just staying one play at a time, like you talk about, to try to keep your run-pass balance, knowing that you still have a whole game to get back in it."

Gurley ultimately was effective on the ground, picking up 88 yards on 16 carries and running for a touchdown (he had a touchdown catch too). But the Rams were too reliant on their passing game. They threw the ball on seven of their first nine plays, and when the fourth quarter began, Gurley had only nine carries. The Rams went into their Week 2 game hoping to establish the run early, but McVay scrapped those plans when they fell behind.

After it was over, McVay lamented his own "uncharacteristic decisions" and "indecisiveness."

"We always talk about letting our approach and our preparation lead to good performance, and the process over results always," McVay said. "I thought, regardless of the way that some things played out, when you go into a game, you always envision kind of how you want to try to put your players in good spots. I didn’t necessarily follow through with that plan, based on the way things played out. I think there are times when you have to do that, but I thought there was a handful of situations where I didn’t need to do that, and I did. And it made it tougher on our players than it should’ve been."

He is being vague but I 100% think he knows he went away from Gurley when he could have just put the skins away.

nighttrain

Legend
Sorry, Blame It on Me
Akon
As life goes on I'm starting to learn more and more about responsibility
I realize everything I do is affecting the people around me
So I want to take this time out to apologize for things I have done
And things that have not occurred yet
And the things they don't want to take responsibility for
I'm sorry for the times I left you home
I was on the road and you were alone
I'm sorry for the times that I had to go
I'm sorry for the fact that I did not know
That you were sitting home just wishing we
Could go back to when it was just you and me
I'm sorry for the times I would neglect
I'm sorry for the times I disrespect
I'm sorry for the wrong things that I've done
I'm sorry I'm not always there for my sons
I'm sorry for the fact that I'm not aware
That you…

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
It's good to have a coach that will nut up and blame himself to take the heat off the rest of the team.

I've never heard Goff blame anyone else either. Ballsy men leading this team.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I like that, he was very specific about where he messed up. It's not just random coach speak that means nothing, he's identifying something that he wants to fix.

The more times goes on the more I trust this team is in the right hands.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Its really hard not to like McVay as a person and as a coach. Too many people expect leaders (of any kind) at that level to be infallible. He's not the Pope ffs!

Self awareness is one of the most important traits any person can have. For example, I'm probably the greatest poster in the history of RoD! :sneaky:

Joking aside, McVay is learning as well and he's aware of that fact, He surrounded himself with experienced coaches so he thought ahead in that respect too.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I blame Jesus.

Funny story about that back in 1989 and still in the Air Force (23 years old) I was dating a Preacher's Kid (PK) and when her father was writing his sermon, I asked him if you could say a special prayer for the Rams who were in the NFC Championship Game against the San Francisco 49ers that week...His Sermon that Sunday was about having to put things behind you to better serve the Lord and he brought up my love for sports.

Anyway was glad to give him the motivation the Rams lost that game 30-3 and his daughter and I were done less than a couple weeks later and the good Lord has been taking it out on my Rams ever sense.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Anyway was glad to give him the motivation the Rams lost that game 30-3 and his daughter and I were done less than a couple weeks later and the good Lord has been taking it out on my Rams ever sense.

...except for that bright spot starting 1999... I think we oughtta get Rev Ike on staff... just for the blessings... maybe KW too? or his wife maybe??

:hiding:

~lyser

Rookie
Funny story about that back in 1989 and still in the Air Force (23 years old) I was dating a Preacher's Kid (PK) and when her father was writing his sermon, I asked him if you could say a special prayer for the Rams who were in the NFC Championship Game against the San Francisco 49ers that week...His Sermon that Sunday was about having to put things behind you to better serve the Lord and he brought up my love for sports.

Ah - the "phantom sack" game. Everett was never the same for us, though he did go on to play well for the "Saints" (coincidence or more evidence of God being anti-Ram?).

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

View attachment 21671

"It starts with me."

Well .. I like that he noticed his errors and I hate to say this, But I agree with him! He did have a look of panic, on the side-lines, for a while. But he fought back! And there was no panic or fear, when he listen to Bones's advice and had Hekker pass! Great Move! Too bad Woods Fucked things up!!

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
McVay obviously had the nerves of a young gun, playing against one of his heroes - I'll give him a pass this time. This one time only.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
McVay obviously had the nerves of a young gun, playing against one of his heroes - I'll give him a pass this time. This one time only.
McVay does not strike me as the type of young man that makes the same mistake twice!!(y);) I think he comes back with a vengeance against his former coaching Bud Shannahan!:mrburnsevil:

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Nice to hear McVay say it because it is true, the coaching left a lot to be desired. The storyline was how the two coaches were familiar with each other, so I expected a dose of the unexpected to throw off that familiarity. Turns out it was the Skins that did something different with their pulling linemen, old school power running that caught the Rams unprepared.

Meanwhile McVay did nothing to lend to his offensive guru rep and just ran a boring wuss coast offense that put zero pressure on the Washington defense or threw them off their preparation. He retreated into a shell with the game on the line, everyone in the stadium knew Goff would be looking at Kupp underneath because you could see the thought bubble over McVay's head that he wanted to drive the ball down the field with "safe" short passes. Hopefully he learns that simple wuss coast philosophy doesn't win in the NFL any more, you got Sammy Watkins for a reason, attack down the field. What's the worst that could happen, a game ending INT?(!) Versus all the good that could have happened, including an incompetent Boger crew that was just begging to throw any flag on the slightest downfield contact.

Anyway, hopefully this doesn't come off as too anti-McVay. For a guy in his 2nd game he's shown he belongs as an NFL coach, mistakes are to be expected, and I am rooting for him. I hope he learns to get the penalties under control, too.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Nice to hear McVay say it because it is true, the coaching left a lot to be desired. The storyline was how the two coaches were familiar with each other, so I expected a dose of the unexpected to throw off that familiarity. Turns out it was the Skins that did something different with their pulling linemen, old school power running that caught the Rams unprepared.

Meanwhile McVay did nothing to lend to his offensive guru rep and just ran a boring wuss coast offense that put zero pressure on the Washington defense or threw them off their preparation. He retreated into a shell with the game on the line, everyone in the stadium knew Goff would be looking at Kupp underneath because you could see the thought bubble over McVay's head that he wanted to drive the ball down the field with "safe" short passes. Hopefully he learns that simple wuss coast philosophy doesn't win in the NFL any more, you got Sammy Watkins for a reason, attack down the field. What's the worst that could happen, a game ending INT?(!) Versus all the good that could have happened, including an incompetent Boger crew that was just begging to throw any flag on the slightest downfield contact.

Anyway, hopefully this doesn't come off as too anti-McVay. For a guy in his 2nd game he's shown he belongs as an NFL coach, mistakes are to be expected, and I am rooting for him. I hope he learns to get the penalties under control, too.
McVay knows he let Gruden rattle him off his game plan!! That won't happen again!! Like I said previously, He doesn't strike me as the type of guy who makes the same Big mistake twice!!

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Football is a chess match with uneven pieces. Coaching experience does matter but McVay is learning very quickly.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

Gurley ultimately was effective on the ground, picking up 88 yards on 16 carries and running for a touchdown (he had a touchdown catch too). But the Rams were too reliant on their passing game. They threw the ball on seven of their first nine plays
It's true....We are averaging 77 yards a game on the ground. We had 90+....We have Gurley...We should be a running team. And we should set the tone early...I like play-action passes on first down, but run or throw him some screens early too.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's true....We are averaging 77 yards a game on the ground. We had 90+....We have Gurley...We should be a running team. And we should set the tone early...I like play-action passes on first down, but run or throw him some screens early too.

Well, we aren't just a running team anymore. We have a QB taken at #1 in the NFL Draft for his ability to pass accurately. We have Sammy Watkins who is probably the most talented WR since GSOT. We have Cooper Freakin KUPP, Everret....We are not the bereft, run only team that Fisher seemed to want. We need balance AND we need to work on getting Gurley in a rhythm, even if we are down by 13 points early, like McVay said. Getting more touches by sustaining drives is of course what we want, grasshopper. Not just Gurley and a cloud of dust every play...

Last edited: