Sean McVay has Jared Goff cooking and the Rams offense should roll vs. Cowboys

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Wow, thanks for the article. I liked seeing those plays from behind the QB.

On the GOff to TD to Kupp his arm and feet weren't aligned, but he made a perfect throw---that is what I was hoping he would get to....but he his there,lol! It is easy to throw when your feet are where you want them to be....but, in the NFL that doesn't happen a good percentage of time....big difference by my eyes.

The guy said his arm wasn't so good....that was funny...his accuracy will be top 4.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Sad part both very good coordinators although I was totally against the Linehan hiring from the outset after listening to his press conference it was clear that Linehan was not comfortable in his own skin and could not address a group of men. As to Steve Spagnuolo, who orchestrated one of the greatest upsets in NFL history, well, when you become a rookie Head Coach who don't surround yourself with rookie Coordinators and Spagnuolo had two of them in OC Pat Shurmur and DC Ken Flajole...Spags was paranoid, now so was Martz, but Martz had good reason to be, whereas Spags had no reason to be the Rams gave Spagnuolo everything he asked for and it was an epic fail.

For the record that is why Spagnuolo & Linehan will never be a Head Coach again in the NFL unless it's on an interim basis. Spagnuolo's career record is 10-38, Linehan 11-25 and with those records IMHO, they will never have a chance to be a Head Coach again.

den you said it all there! Though I think SS was a bit over rated as a DC, Linehan is a fantastic OC.

Though giving credit to Spagnoulo for the SB upset is giving him a lot. He had 4 guys on the DL that were playing like HOF guys with Brady hardly able to move because of his sprained ankle. Remember he was wearing a boot leading up to the game.

And if it wasn't for the greatest play in SB history the Patriots would have won. That Tyrie catch will live forever.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
And if it wasn't for the greatest play in SB history the Patriots would have won. That Tyrie catch will live forever.

And thank God it happened...Quite frankly, I felt good about Spagnuolo, felt the Rams totally whiffed on Linehan because he was just NOT a Head Coach and Spags waited for the right opportunity...FWIW's Billy Devaney really wanted Spagnuolo, Chip Rosenbloom (proving he was not like his Dad) liked Leslie Frazier, but deferred to Devaney. Now Chip did fire Jay Zygmunt and I will always be grateful for him doing that, but you're right @LesBaker those two Coaches were just plain awful and that is why everyone was pleased with the hiring of Jeff Fisher because he was an experienced Head Football Coach although for the life of me I would love to ask Jeff why he did not hire a proven Offensive Coordinator. He made some good hires in Tennessee with Mike Heimerdinger and even with an out the box hire like Norm Chow, but Schottenheimer, Frank Cignetti & Rob Boras was, well, to put it so ever so eloquently....
Larry-Darryl-Darryl-e1470017892488.jpg

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Sean McVay has Jared Goff cooking and the Rams offense should roll vs. Cowboys

It turns out coaching does matter in the NFL.

When running back Todd Gurley called the Rams' offense -- coached by all-time loser Jeff Fisher at the time -- a "middle-school offense" last December, he was thought to have done so out of frustration. It wasn't considered to be an analytical response to answer the questions behind No. 1 pick Jared Goff'srookie-year struggles and Gurley's own mysterious sophomore slump. But Gurley wasn't that far off with his answer. The Rams' offensive catastrophe was almost entirely related to its scheme. The first three games of the 2017 season is enough proof.

So far, the Rams' offense is torching foes -- they're averaging the seventh-most yards per game (374.3) and the most points per game (35.7) in all of football. Goff looks like Legolas sniping Orcs -- he's first in yards per attempt (10.09) and third in passer rating (118.2). Gurley looks like he's actually wearing a touchdown magnet -- he's tied for the league lead in rushing/receiving touchdowns (six) after scoring six touchdowns over the course of the entire 2016 season.

For all of that, the Rams can thank their new 31-year-old coach, Sean McVay, who replaced Fisher and immediately implemented an offense that caters to its personnel's strengths -- plus, he spells his name the right way. And they can also thank newcomers in receivers Sammy Watkins, Cooper Kupp, Robert Woods, and left tackle Andrew Whitworth. The Rams' offense received upgrades this offseason in both coaching and personnel.

This is a rather long article with images. For the rest, read here;

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-and-the-rams-offense-should-roll-vs-cowboys/

The Best part of this article is the ' Sub Title' " If you haven't been paying attention, these aren't the same Old Rams!"
The writer gives plenty of cred to the Rams, both players and coaches, BUT he still comes to the WRONG conclusion! That being, that the Cowpie's are going to Whip us because they are the "Better" Team! BS!!!!!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
A good article with lots of instructive gifs. Best lines from the article...

Goff looks like Legolas sniping Orcs

Watching last year's Rams offense versus this year's unit is like going from watching the "Star Wars" prequels to watching "Rogue One."

I liked the whole Legolas sniping orcs thing as well. And Rogue One was a fantastic movie.

I don't know who wrote this article, but I loved the comparisons.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I disagree. Fisher brought excellent defense and special teams and took the Rams from the perennial basement to average.

We've all had our fun lynch mobbing Fisher after he was fired. Easy target. Yes he failed but personally i think less of Linehan and Spags who brought us the worst 5 year stretch in NFL history. I'm tired of the Fisher stuff.

JMO

Agreed. I always said if Fisher wasn't the guy, at least he would leave the roster in better shape than the one he inherited. I mean those 2007-2011 years were simply awful. Most of those players released from that era never found another home in the NFL.

We have Goff, Gurley, Donald, Tru, Austin, Joyner, Brockers and Ogletree because of Fisher.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
View attachment 21853
Coach is running with the receivers coaching them up! Maybe a few other coaches also do this, I don't know about a head coach. I bet the players appreciate him being so hands on.
I can imagine SM right at this point yelling to Reynolds "Go get the ball! High point the ball! Attack the ball! Win the battle!!"

Based on their eyes and the way JR is starting to turn his body, I can see the ball is slightly under thrown. Our WR's need to have that mentality to win that battle... not just wait for the ball to hit their hands or "bread basket catch" it.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If the Rams slow down the Cowboys O and put up a big day on their O I'm going to start to think they have a shot at the division this year. If the score ends up 31-17 or 30-14 we as fans will have reasons to be excited.

If the Rams win in a dominant fashion against a team with above average O and middle of the pack D then I'm getting excited @sjm1582002 and you should too!!!!
I'd agree....after one more game...we have a very interesting next 5 games. Should be entertaining.

Ram65

Legend
It was except for the second sentence where he says "When running back Todd Gurley called the Rams' offense -- coached by all-time loser Jeff Fisher at the time".

Fisher was totally hands off on O and saying all time loser is a grade school move for a professional journalist IMO. The standards are just SO low these days.

He was referring to Fisher as the losingest coach of all time. He gives a link that list all time coaches records. Fisher is tied for the most loses. Link https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/ Tie for last with Dan Reeves. The author could have phrased it better.

I really liked the article. Great Gifs. Good stats too

"............So far this season, Goff has posted a 104.7 passer rating off play-action, completing 13 of 21 passes for 257 yards, according to Pro Football Focus. By using play-action, the Rams are simplifying the game for Goff. More often than not, Goff has an easy read and an easy throw off a play fake -- like the play above.

McVay has also gotten creative with his play-action to create big-chunk play......................."

There a thread about using more play action. I like the numbers. McVay is not over doing it and Goff is getting good production. Easy or not you have to make the throws. For the most part the author keeps things in perspective and shows why Goff has grown greatly from last year.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He was referring to Fisher as the losingest coach of all time.

Yes I know, but it's a cheap shot and has little to do with the topic he's writing about. He decided to take the low road IMO but that's what a lot of people like, sensationalism.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Legolas sniping orcs, love that part, but have to agree with @Mojo Ram , on our defense, and teams. You can't really take that away from him. What we can do, is vastly improve on the new regime, in those areas.