Schefter with the details about Rams offer to Raiders for Mack

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Huh?

So Rams would have spent their 1st round pick on what they knew would be a one-year rental? (And presumably get a 3rd round comp pick in return, so coming out almost even?)

Would Rams have threatened the franchise tag after the season in order to recoup draft capital?

What a weird story... need to hear more details

tempests

Hall of Fame
1st and 3rd for a one year rental, not worth it.

Keep those picks and draft our own dominant edge rusher.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Huh?

So Rams would have spent their 1st round pick on what they knew would be a one-year rental? (And presumably get a 3rd round comp pick in return, so coming out almost even?)

Would Rams have threatened the franchise tag in order to recoup draft capital?

What a weird story... need to hear more details
That's not what the tweet says at all. Send a 1st and 3rd for him. Pay him an extension. Then trade him in the offseason to help the cap after 2019.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
trying to sucker the raiders. at least make sure any team trading for mack didnt get him too cheap

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
My first reaction; it doesn't make much sense.

But it's probably got some other lines of thinking involved. I mean, they could recoup the picks... but it sounds hokey.

jjab360

Legend
Rams would've traded for him, paid him an extension, had one of the best defenses of all time for a year, and then gotten that first round pick after the season and possibly more to the highest bidder. Makes sense to me.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
That's not what the tweet says at all. Send a 1st and 3rd for him. Pay him an extension. Then trade him in the offseason to help the cap after 2019.
Okay, I may have misread the “paid Mack” phrase from Schefter’s tweet, thanks for the clarification.

Again, to further clarify...

If Rams paid Mack anything close to the ginormous extension he was seeking, and then turned around and traded him, wouldn’t this cause the Rams to suffer a significant cap hit in the future? Dead money problems?

Edit: On Mack’s current deal, Mack got 90M guaranteed, with a 60 M signing bonus. How on earth would Stan be willing to give anything close to that for one year?

Last edited:

tempests

Hall of Fame
Rams would've traded for him, paid him an extension, had one of the best defenses of all time for a year, and then gotten that first round pick after the season and possibly more to the highest bidder. Makes sense to me.

If the Rams could've gotten Mack for a 1st and 3rd, I doubt they get that back a year later.

Also taking the chance he doesn't suffer some kind of injury.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Okay, I may have misread the “paid Mack” phrase from Schefter’s tweet, thanks for the clarification.

Again, to further clarify...

If Rams paid Mack anything close to the ginormous extension he was seeking, and then turned around and traded him, wouldn’t this cause the Rams to suffer a significant cap hit in the future? Dead money problems?

Edit: On Mack’s current deal, Mack got 90M guaranteed, with a 60 M signing bonus. How on earth would Stan be willing to give anything close to that for one year?
Most likely but it depends on the deal and it's structure. Hard to speculate but it likely would have led to some yes.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Proof they'll do anything to win a SB. I don't mind.

Agreed.

Snead and McVay will do some unorthodox, creative stuff to build a killer roster. Loved the way they did the blockbuster offseason trades yet still recoup two 3rd round comp picks, for example.

I’m sure they had a terrific plan regarding this bizarre Mack proposal, but just based off the info in Schefter’s tweet, IMHO some crucial info is missing. How would they have made it work within the constraints of the cap? I’m sure we’ll get an explanation soon, but based on the limited info right now... I don’t get it.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v2gCadq9xQM

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
As much as I like Mack a 1st and 3rd for one year to me is a bit steep if your are not going to keep him. But the idea of having him with our D is a cool one.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Rams giving up a 1st and 3rd rounder, pay Mack 14 million for one year only, then trade him. Does not make sense.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As much as I like Mack a 1st and 3rd for one year to me is a bit steep if your are not going to keep him. But the idea of having him with our D is a cool one.

Depends on what the Rams can get for him. Figure under this scenario, he would be owed a tremendous amount of money, which would reduce his trade value. But it is certainly plausible that they could still get a first for him - and probably a higher one than they traded. OTOH, realistically, Mack would probably have gotten a signing bonus if he actually signed, which would mean an accelerated cap hit that would really hurt the Rams in 2019.

They couldn't have kept him franchised, so that is out. It's already been used for 2018.

I'm not sure what they were thinking, truthfully. Probably just messing with the Raiders, or figuring to trade Mack immediately to a team that actually could sign him, hoping to get a higher first for him to make it worthwhile. Sounds dangerously like "smartest man in the room syndrome".

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
If Snead pulled off the trade, got more ammunition out of that, and got impact players out of those draft packs; he would cement himself as the GOAT GM.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Rams giving up a 1st and 3rd rounder, pay Mack 14 million for one year only, then trade him. Does not make sense.
Assuming they got a first round pick in return, it's basically what they are giving Suh, plus giving up the 3rd rounder.