Saturday's playoff games were a real eye opener for me...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MountainRam

Rookie
I am in agreement we are a QB, couple of WRs (one big #1 WR and another a slot WR), a good TE, improved play from GRob, a half way decent OC away from playoffs and even a SB run.

Question is - is one off season enough fix all of it?

GZ and defense are least of my worries.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
They are the 2 best kickers in college, IMO. Fairbairn hit a 60 yarder in a game this year, and it had more.

Yeah he's got a lot of leg man. But he's also very consistent just like the other kid, in his 50 yards and shorter range.

Give me a guy who is consistent up to 50 yards over a guy who can freak the ball 70 yards but who is maddeningly inconsistent. Consistency wins out with kickers man, even if you gotta sacrifice a little range (which you don't with those top two kickers btw).

Ram65

Legend
The lack of intensity week in a week out bothers me the most about Fisher and the Rams.

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads...es-from-a-rams-perspective.42376/#post-695110

The Rams played with the playoff teams despite lacking players on offense and the unexplainable lapses in the defensive secondary.
We could see the roster changes regarding Cook, Long, KZ, JL and some Ram free agents leaving and coming in. Getting the franchises future QB should be priority one. The Rams are or should be able to manage the cap and have an extra second round pick. It's still a fixable situation but time is ticking fast for S & F.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I am in agreement we are a QB, couple of WRs (one big #1 WR and another a slot WR), a good TE, improved play from GRob, a half way decent OC away from playoffs and even a SB run.

Question is - is one off season enough fix all of it?

GZ and defense are least of my worries.

I think we are a QB away ftom the playoffs. That was proven this year, especially when you consider the OL will be better next year as these kids got a year under their belt.

What this weekend showed me is the better qb won each game and it was mentioned that the Skins were the only playoff team outside of the top 12 on scoring defense, so maybe with a better defense they could of pulled that game out.

Regardless, to me if the Rans can keep their defense fairly intact and add a weapon on offense, with better QB play they can be a contender next year.

Then if Robinson steps up, a good TE can be had, get quality playcalling, and you get that #1 WR, along with a healthy Quinn on D, this team cam be a serious threat.

MountainRam

Rookie
I think we are a QB away ftom the playoffs. That was proven this year, especially when you consider the OL will be better next year as these kids got a year under their belt.

What this weekend showed me is the better qb won each game and it was mentioned that the Skins were the only playoff team outside of the top 12 on scoring defense, so maybe with a better defense they could of pulled that game out.

Regardless, to me if the Rams can keep their defense fairly intact and add a weapon on offense, with better QB play they can be a contender next year.

Then if Robinson steps up, a good TE can be had, get quality playcalling, and you get that #1 WR, along with a healthy Quinn on D, this team cam be a serious threat.

Yes it is possible. But installing a new offense (please god, don't make Fisher say we are going to keep the same playbook. Crap is Crap how ever you re order and call it) and ensuring it gels in one offseason is a tall order. So I have my serious doubts. Time to reboot with a new coaching staff. But I know that will not likely happen. Hey, one can always hope.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Regardless, to me if the Rans can keep their defense fairly intact and add a weapon on offense, with better QB play they can be a contender next year.

I agree that we are probably just a QB away from MAKING the playoffs, Philly.

But I am also now convinced that we need big upgrades at WR and TE if we expect to make any noise once we get there.

A a QB whisperer at OC wouldn't hurt, either.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I agree that we are probably just a QB away from MAKING the playoffs, Philly.

But I am also now convinced that we need big upgrades at WR and TE if we expect to make any noise once we get there.

A a QB whisperer at OC wouldn't hurt, either.

Agree and I mentioned that. What I would do to get a Kelcie at TE or even a Rudolph would work. Add a veteran #2 type WR and draft a top level potential #1 WR, and away we go....if we get decent QB play.

And when you think about it, not many teams that played this weekend have a 1-2 punch like Gurley abd Austin. So jyst add a Kelcie type and a Marvin Jones and top level rookie WR, and they could be very dangerous.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I saw the exact same things. Our defense, while pretty good, takes plays off at crucial times and our offense isn't good enough for the SEC much less for the NFC west!
Nonsense, the Rams were 4-2 this year in the NFCW and played the last game against the noners without 3 defensive starters and Gurley. The Rams have no problem competing in the NFCW and if healthy would have had a chance to beat every team that played in the wild card round of the playoffs this past weekend.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Nonsense, the Rams were 4-2 this year in the NFCW and played the last game against the noners without 3 defensive starters and Gurley. The Rams have no problem competing in the NFCW and if healthy would have had a chance to beat every team that played in the wild card round of the playoffs this past weekend.

Health is big and while nobody likes that excuse, I couldn't help but notice the comment that was made during the Viking game where it was mentioned that the Vikings had all 5 OL starters start every game this year.

If the Rams had that, even with all their other issues, they would have had a good shot to make the playoffs. Especially considering Foles went down hill quickly when the OL started losing guys and he was under pressure a league high 44% of his drop backs. I recall that stat being thrown out after the Packer game.

Btw, Foles great 2013 year, the Eagles starting OL also did not miss a start that season.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Time to reboot with a new coaching staff. But I know that will not likely happen. Hey, one can always hope.

How many times do you have to hear it isn't happening before you quit bringing it up?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Health is big and while nobody likes that excuse, I couldn't help but notice the comment that was made during the Viking game where it was mentioned that the Vikings had all 5 OL starters start every game this year.

If the Rams had that, even with all their other issues, they would have had a good shot to make the playoffs. Especially considering Foles went down hill quickly when the OL started losing guys and he was under pressure a league high 44% of his drop backs. I recall that stat being thrown out after the Packer game.

Btw, Foles great 2013 year, the Eagles starting OL also did not miss a start that season.
I think only disgruntled fans think injuries are not an excuse for why their team can't just plug in the next guy and continue to produce. That 6th round guy who hasn't had any reps with the first team in 3 months should just jump right in there and make it happen right?

Look at the first game between Minny and shecocks. the vikes d was missing their MLB safety and a starting DL if I remember right. I honestly could not bring myself to watch that game this week but apparently the hags only managed 2 scoring drives vs 4 for the vikes. The best/most experienced QB did not win that game. the kicker choked it away.

There wasn't a team playing this week that a healthy Rams defense would not have shutdown, including the chefs. Starting Keenum all year would have put the Rams in the playoffs even with the injuries and there is no doubt about it GX lost 2 games for sure missing kicks that were not all that difficult.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
if healthy would have had a chance to beat every team that played in the wild card round of the playoffs this past weekend.

Why do we have to hear that same excuse every stinking year? No team stays healthy all year. Good coaches overcome it.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Why do we have to hear that same excuse every stinking year? No team stays healthy all year. Good coaches overcome it.
Like I said disgruntled fans are the only ones who don't understand this concept. I can't help you

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
After watching Cook play the past few years, I was quite jealous watching Jordan Reed.
The guy can flat out play.