Saturday's playoff games were a real eye opener for me...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Why do we have to hear that same excuse every stinking year? No team stays healthy all year. Good coaches overcome it.

Some teams do overcome injuries, but typically those are teams that have top level QBs. The Pats have a ton of injuries, and have lost 4 of their last 6 games I believe. However they do have the best QB and that makes a big difference. Put a decent qb like Bradford in that position and they don't win, hell they struggled with Brady down the stretch.

The Packers had injuries, but they have Rogers. The Rams have had injuries over the years, more than most teams, but they had QBs like Clemons, Hill, Davis, Keenum, and Foles these last 3 years, and tough to win under those circumstances.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I don't think you fix all our ailments in one draft so I'd set my sights on a FA WR or TE, and draft a QB, WR, and TE with our first three picks. I'd also draft a K. GZ just isn't money when it counts most of the time. He may kick a 70 yarder someday but have you noticed Fisher rarely trots him out there past 50 anymore? I think that speaks volumes.

I think this team can be close if we do this and retain our key FAs. Long and Cook are gone more than likely and that helps cap space considerably.

DenverRam

Starter
That's just, well nevermind we shouldn't use those kind of words towards other members. It's not so much he's stealing from the owner as he's taking cap space that would be better spent.
Kroenke doesnt care as long as the team has no fan support in STL

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Clearly, I haven't been watching enough games that didn't involve the Rams.

Guess I've been living in a kind of Ram "player bubble" and have lost quite a bit of perspective as to what constitutes good play at multiple positions.

The first 2 playoff games on Saturday brought me back to a crashing reality.

Alex Smith demonstrated what a good (not great) QB can do for his O. Both Foles and Keenum fall far short of his mark.

Kelce reminded me of what a weapon a good TE can be while blocking, catching, and running after the catch. Cook is stealing money from Kroenke.

All 4 playoff teams have WR's that can run circles around anybody on our staff. A glaring weakness in our O.

That rookie Steeler kicker, Boswell, hit 4 FG's dead solid perfect in a dramatic and pressure filled playoff game in the rain. His kicks would have been good even if the goalposts were only 3 feet apart. His kickoffs were all deep and unreturnable. Did I mention he was a rookie? Looked like a sophomore in high school. Who needs GZ?

I hope and pray that S&F can upgrade all four of these positions this offseason.

While they're at it, we are not up to snuff at LDE or MLB, either. Not when compared to playoff caliber, anyway.

The kicker is an easy UDFA fix. QB, not so much.

Let's hope that the draft and FA can provide solutions. 'Cause right now we are at a distinct disadvantage vs even the lower seeded and wild card teams at 5-6 positions.

Sorry if this post steps on anybody's toes. But there are no sacred cows on this roster for me anymore.

Good post @Rams43 - I have always liked Alex Smith, I wanted the Rams to pick him up when SF dropped him, IMO, he's a solid starter, you know what you're getting and he does the basics well - he keeps his offence moving, not in a flash Krappydick kinda way, but in a decent NFL starter. If we had him on our roster we'd have been in the playoffs baby.

Re: Cook - it's almost like were playing with a man down when he's on the field, I always feel like you could have a cardboard cutout of a topless Pamela Anderson on the field of play and it would be more useful than him.

WRs - I've been watching more and more highlights of other games this season to (non-rams) encounters and I'm with you our WRs are seriously poor in comparison. Without Gurley and Austin on our team we're worse than poor. IMO - I though I loved Britt, but he's not consistent enough to be a deep threat and Quick is a dead weight in Rams uniform. I'm hoping for WRs with our 1st and 2nd selection in the draft.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Alex Smith demonstrated what a good (not great) QB can do for his O. Both Foles and Keenum fall far short of his mark.........All 4 playoff teams have WR's that can run circles around anybody on our staff. A glaring weakness in our O....................While they're at it, we are not up to snuff at LDE or MLB, either. Not when compared to playoff caliber, anyway.
Great post....not sure where you've been but the NFL has turned into an offensive league, a QB and a deadly offense can cover many ills. And conversly, a QB can make some pretty avg. wrs look good. See Ted Ginn, Julian Edelman, that TE in NO that's 40 years old.....Put any of our wrs, even Bradley Marquez, with one of these QB's, and they look more than serviceable.....especially Quick, Britt , and Cook...Yeah, I said Cook. No he's not Kelsey...No he's not Gronk...Hell, he may not be as good as OJ Howard (you see HIM last night?!?) but Cook can play. Not a great pass catcher, not in traffic, but a great athlete that runs after the catch as good as anyone. And gets open in the seams...which takes a special QB to throw...not only with the touch & depth of the pass, but the manipulation of the safety and linebackers with his eyes.

I don't think you fix all our ailments in one draft
Yes we could & can....takes some good scouts, and great evals, but our offensive needs could be corrected in this draft. The defense would benefit from a decent signal caller...less plays, fresher in games & end of season. Maybe Jamon Brown & Williams are never injured with a better QB...Too many variables, but the premise is the same. One huge position upgrade helps the entire team...Stop throwing away 3rd & 4th round picks...hell, stop throwing away 2nd rounders.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't think you fix all our ailments in one draft so I'd set my sights on a FA WR or TE, and draft a QB, WR, and TE with our first three picks. I'd also draft a K. GZ just isn't money when it counts most of the time. He may kick a 70 yarder someday but have you noticed Fisher rarely trots him out there past 50 anymore? I think that speaks volumes.

I think this team can be close if we do this and retain our key FAs. Long and Cook are gone more than likely and that helps cap space considerably.

This is exactly where I'm at Husker. The Rams are more than just a QB away offensively and need to be aggressive in FA to begin this offseason.

They need to remove the guys like Cook who aren't worth their cap figure/pay. Then they need to re-sign a couple key defensive players in that secondary (i.e. Barron and one of the CBs). When FA opens scoop a TE or WR, and right now I suspect the TE quality will be better unless the Bears lose their minds and allow Jeffery to test the waters.

In the draft they gotta get a QB who gives us hope, because barring a miraculous trade for someone like Rivers or Brees they're not gonna find a QB outside of the draft. Then, as you said, get a couple more pieces for the offense at WR and TE. With WR they absolutely need to target guys who can run routes and who have good hands. I am so effin tired of athletes being added to this offense with the smug assumption that this staff can coach them up. They can't. Draft some dudes who have a little polish, even if you give up the upside.

And agreed as well with kicker. Rams can significantly upgrade there in the draft for the cost of a midround or later pick.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do agree with the overall sentiment, but just remember that success breeds success....greatness breeds greatness.

Our own natural player progression will likely leave holes at QB, WR and TE. But we don't need great players at every position. Seahawk fans and the media would have you think that the Seahawks are superior to the Rams at every position except DT and RB. On the surface, you can see how one might think that. But the truth is, they have more better players and that makes their fringe players better than our fringe players, which explains how we can beat them. What's my point? It's that I think we need to acquire a great/good/average combination of those 3 positions. Kendricks is average IMO, so if we get a great QB and a good WR, this team will make some noise.

But I seriously doubt we take a QB and WR high in this draft.