CAMP REPORT Sat Aug-04 Camp Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
D3BCDA69-D19A-44A0-83F3-E0F50581616F.jpeg

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...unleash-even-more-of-mcvays-offensive-system/

2018 NFL Training Camps: Rams ready to unleash even more of McVay's offensive system
In his second season as head coach, Sean McVay will be adding to the offensive playbook

IRVINE, Calif. –- The Los Angeles Rams led the NFL in scoring in Sean McVay's first year as coach in 2017.

And they barely scratched the surface of what the offense will look like going forward. In 2017, the Rams were learning about each other, coaches trying to figure what could work.

Now they know more about each other, so McVay, the offensive wunderkind, is ready to unleash even more of his offensive system.

That might not be good news for NFL defenses. How much more is being put in?

"A lot more," Rams quarterback Jared Goff said. "We've just evolved. We know teams have some tape on us an have an idea what we like to do. There is stuff we've done to evolve, creatively, that Sean's put in to get better."

McVay, who is already one of the league's best play callers, said the changes and bigger playbook are the result of the comfort he now has with the players.

"I can't put a percentage on it (how much more)," McVay said "I will just say it's evolved a little bit. Going back to last year at this time, we were figuring out what we wanted and how we wanted to operate. We had to find out what personnel groupings were going to be our mains ones. Now we have a little familiarity with our players. We have a better direction on how we want to operate."

In his second season, Goff threw for 3,804 yards, 28 touchdown passes and seven picks as the Rams won the NFC West. After a rookie season that had many questioning him as a franchise passer, it was a nice turnaround.

Expect even bigger numbers from Goff this time around as McVay unleashes more of his playbook.

Still no Donald
Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald, who was the 2017 NFL Defensive Player of the Year, remains a holdout from training camp as he seeks a new contract.

Donald is looking to get quarterback-type money, which the Rams have no plans to do. The Rams will make him the highest-paid defensive player in the league, but for now there is no movement.

A year ago, Donald missed camp and reported back for Week One of the season, although he didn't play until Week Two. The Rams expect a similar type situation if he doesn't agree to a new deal.

Donald is in the final year of his contract and scheduled to make $6.9 million this season. That's way under his market value, but a contract offer of $20 million should get him into camp – and that's a number the Rams could be willing to pay.

If Donald isn't signed by August 7, he loses a year in his quest to become an unrestricted free agent, but that is kind of moot since the Rams can use the franchise tag anyway.

All the talk about Donald sitting out until he gets a new deal sounds like hot air from his agents. He would miss out on $431,125 per game. That won't happen, no matter what the rhetoric is now.

I would expect his agents to wise up and take a deal that would make him the highest-paid defensive player in the league.

Observations
  • The Rams wanted Brandin Cooks last year, but they didn't have the first round pick to give the New Orleans Saints that the Patriots had to get him. So they waited a year, traded a first and a sixth-round pick to get him this year, and then gave him a long-term contract extension worth $88 million over the next six years. Why? He can fly. "He represents that guy who can take the top shelf off the coverage," McVay said. "More than anything, he brings a great demeanor, a great discipline to our team. He can do a lot of things." He isn't going to just be a vertical threat. During the practice I watched, Cooks caught a crossing route and turned it into a long gain with his speed. Along with Cooper Kupp and Robert Woods, the Rams have a nice group of receivers.
  • When watching the team practice, it's clear who the alpha dogs are in the secondary. New corners Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters, who were acquired in trades, play the game and they can talk the game. Their battles with the Rams receivers were fun the other night during practice and they did some yapping. Goff likes the chance to face them every day in practice. "For me, personally, having a little bit of a chess match with Aqib and Marcus has been a lot of fun," Goff said. "They really, really force you to be at your best at all times. That's helping me continue to try and put to the ball in the right place or they will make you pay." Those two can cover and they are joined in the secondary by safeties Lamarcus Joyner and John Johnson. It is a good group that should upgrade the defense.
  • One concern about the Rams defense is the outside rush. Who provides it? With Donald, Ndamukong Suh and Michael Brockers as down players, and the talent in the secondary, the edge rushers are the weak spot on the defense. They have Matt Longacre and Samson Ebukam and they recently signed Ryan Davis off the street. One of those players has to emerge as a rush threat. They like Ebukan as the best breakout possibility after he had five sacks last season. Davis will likely play on early run downs somewhere since he is good against the run. Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips has seemingly always had top-level edge rushers, such as DeMarcus Ware, Von Miller and plenty of others.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.ocregister.com/2018/08/...ces-fatherhood-and-his-opportunity-with-rams/

Bonsignore: Cooper Kupp embraces fatherhood, and his opportunity with Rams

IRVINE – Any parent understands the absolute blessing of welcoming a young child into the world and the resulting sense of balance and responsibility that comes with it.

And so, as Rams wide receiver Cooper Kupp held his newborn son – Cooper Jamison – in his arms for the first time in early July, the sense of blessing and curiousity and relief and happiness was overwhelming.

Sign up for Home Turf and get exclusive stories every SoCal sports fan must read, sent daily. Subscribe here.
“I was looking at him, holding him,” Kupp remembers. “And he was looking back at me, straight into my eyes. And I felt like I was looking back at myself 25 years ago. It was the weirdest, most incredible feeling in the world.”

Most parents will agree there is also a daunting feeling as well in those precious moments. That wonderful little being staring longingly into your eyes is relying on you. For understanding and guidance and a stable environment.

The balance being, providing much of what is being relied upon means having to rise up every morning, and kissing your family goodbye and going to work. And while your profession might be the realization your dream and part of what defines you, that saying goodbye to do the right thing is a bittersweet proposition to be sure.

As Kupp discovered upon kissing his wife and young Cooper Jamison goodbye to report to Rams training camp two weeks ago.

“Maybe the hardest day of my life was saying bye to them,” Kupp said.

But much like the mature, incredibly ready and prepared rookie that stepped foot in the NFL last year as a third-round draft pick out of Eastern Washington and immediately looked like he belonged, Kupp was able to find the perfect perspective to put into context a moment all parents dread.

Saying goodbye to your family also means going to work for something that provides benefits and comfort to them. And doing your job at a high level means personal satisfaction as well as a sturdy family foundation. And in Kupp’s case, both the former and the latter are gifts he does not take for granted.

“I’m incredibly blessed to have something at home with my son and wife that’s so hard to leave but also have this, football, and being around guys I love to be around,” Kupp said.

Talk about the best of all worlds.

As in Kupp making a handful of catches at a recent Rams training camp practice, flashing footwork off the line of scrimmage that would make Ne-Yo take notice, and precise route- running beyond his NFL experience, and receptions that ranged from a one-hand grab to rising above and between two defenders to pick a Jared Goff throw out of the air.

Only to greet his wife and son afterward and, like the doting dad he’s already become over the last eight weeks, gently take his son from his wife, placing him into his stroller, and then pushing him to the family car, smiling proudly and broadly like the young papa he is.

Life, as they say, is good.

Cooper Kupp now has even more reason to realize his NFL dreams and perfect his craft. The perfect reason, actually: A young wife and son.

Amazing, really, how fast life moves. In a good way.

Kupp was a rookie just trying to prove himself this time last year. Before that, he was a so-called mid-major wide receiver trying to prove he was even worthy of NFL consideration. Before that, he was a kid no big-time college program was willing to offer a scholarship.

After clearing all the aforementioned hurdles – flying over them after producing a spectacular college career at Eastern Washington by amassing 428 catches for 6,464 and 73 touchdowns, then being drafted by the Rams, then earning NFL All Rookie team honors last season after grabbing 62 passes for 869 yards and five scores, then welcoming a son into the world – Kupp can only look back in awe.

“You really reflect on how you got to where you are. And it’s incredible,” Kupp said. “For as long as it is, and it is long, it moves so fast. There’s so much going on. There’s all this stuff happening.”

A whole new horizon now awaits. Improving upon last year is the objective. Being more of an asset the goal. There is room to improve, areas that need addressing. For all the production last season, there is also an end zone dropped ball against the Seahawks that would have been a game-winning touchdown, and a goal-line fumble against the Vikings that could have changed to course of a frustrating loss.

Kupp is intent on learning from it all, the good and the bad.
“You definitely learn more from the mistakes,” he said. “But you also have to learn from the good stuff. Because if it you’re always learning just from that bad, you’re going to be dwelling too much on the negative. But you do learn more from that bad and you have to take that grow from it.

“In this league if you take something and stew over it for more than 24 hours it’s going to turn into a negative thing. So I try to take those hours and think – What went wrong? How can I fix it? And then move on. Because I have days before the next game. Sometimes only four.

“You examine them. You talk to your coach. You talk to other players and ask what should I have done differently? What can I fix? And then you move forward.”

Cooper Kupp is moving forward all right. But he is looking behind him, too. To a new son and wife he dreads leaving, but for whom everything he does is with them in mind.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Now they know more about each other, so McVay, the offensive wunderkind, is ready to unleash even more of his offensive system.

That might not be good news for NFL defenses. How much more is being put in?

"A lot more," Rams quarterback Jared Goff said. "We've just evolved. We know teams have some tape on us an have an idea what we like to do. There is stuff we've done to evolve, creatively, that Sean's put in to get better."

McVay, who is already one of the league's best play callers, said the changes and bigger playbook are the result of the comfort he now has with the players.

"I can't put a percentage on it (how much more)," McVay said "I will just say it's evolved a little bit. Going back to last year at this time, we were figuring out what we wanted and how we wanted to operate. We had to find out what personnel groupings were going to be our mains ones. Now we have a little familiarity with our players. We have a better direction on how we want to operate."

Very interesting.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
NOT to turn this into an AD discussion, but one has to wonder his patience with his team? A part of me feels a bit of this push for QB money is on AD himself (while hiding behind his agents), but another part of me thinks he's signed up with very greedy, misleading agents. Take the deal the Rams have on the table and be done with it. At what point does a couple million even matter?!

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
NOT to turn this into an AD discussion, but one has to wonder his patience with his team? A part of me feels a bit of this push for QB money is on AD himself (while hiding behind his agents), but another part of me thinks he's signed up with very greedy, misleading agents. Take the deal the Rams have on the table and be done with it. At what point does a couple million even matter?!

Almost everybody who makes it to the NFL is hyper-competitive. We've seen that with AD and ping-pong. So I can understand him wanting to "win" negotiations. I suspect that was part of reporting too late to really be able to play in week one last season, while still getting a game check. That said, there are ways to structure the deal that the Rams can pay him $21 million, but he can feel like he won. That's what he should focus on, imo. For instance, the Rams can't pay him more than $6.9 million this season (at least not very much more - the cap has been spent). But they can reduce his salary to a million, and give him a $29.5 million signing bonus, that for cap purposes counts over 5 seasons. So he gets $30 million+ in cash this season. Over the next 4 seasons he gets $14 million each season of guaranteed roster and reporting bonuses, with small salaries that with the pro-rated signing bonus equals $21 million. Then the last year of the contract gives him guaranteed $5 million roster bonus plus the rest in a non-guaranteed salary of $21 million +. He has $90 million or so guaranteed. In terms of the Rams, only the last season can he count over $21 million, but if they go with the last season he gets two years of QB pay. If they don't want to pay him that much, he is still young enough to get one more good contract, and gets $5 million which is better than a gold watch from the Rams. Details can be massaged, of course, but something like that should work for both sides.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did I see something about Vinny leaving the OC paper and going to The Athletic?