Sammy Watkins vs. Allen Robinson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Lots of Bortles jokes here. If he wasn’t a legitimate QB, why did the Jags bring him back on a 3 year deal when the draft and free agent market is as deep as ever at QB?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I like Allen Robinson. He was on my radar last year as an interesting player if he reached FA.

But; his knee injury happened non contact. Worries me a little.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Lots of Bortles jokes here. If he wasn’t a legitimate QB, why did the Jags bring him back on a 3 year deal when the draft and free agent market is as deep as ever at QB?

Bortles could be on a similar trajectory as Alex Smith.

Count me "in" the group that was slamming Alex Smith early in his career for similar struggles as Bortles.

Look at him now. I was wrong there.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Well, he's being paid less than a top tier QB - a fair amount less. He's also fairly easily cut after one or two years. If they draft somebody where they're picking, or even move up a bit,they would likely prefer having the kid sit for a year. Bortles signed a contract where he should be the starter in 2018, could still be around in 2019 if needed still, and is likely gone in 2020. So it doesn't look like they have a huge amount of faith in him. It looks like they're protecting themselves in case the rookie isn't quite ready, or in the signing and drafting frenzy they don't get anybody and would be in serious trouble without their current QB.

Besides, he's Jason's from "The Good Place" favorite player. Can't give up all that free publicity, even if it's somewhat mocking.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I like Allen Robinson. He was on my radar last year as an interesting player if he reached FA.

But; his knee injury happened non contact. Worries me a little.

Bortles smacking Robinson on his injured knee :ROFLMAO:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
No way would I sign Robinson to a big $ contract until I was able to see him perform on the field with his surgically repaired knee. Too much of a gamble. He may never be the same player.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame

Count me "in" the group that was slamming Alex Smith early in his career for similar struggles as Bortles.

I was made fun of because I was an Alex Sith fan...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’d prefer Watkins, but adding Robinson wouldn’t be a bad thing.
Not overwhelmed with his stats, in 2015/2016 he averaged 1100 yards and 10 td which is great, however he also received 150 targets per year to accumulate that.
Kupp and Woods has a combined total of 180 targets last year

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because they were locked in to him this year anyway for 19+ and can easily get out of that deal in a year or two. Don’t be surprised if they still draft a qb

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
In this market they're both going to make more than they should. Sammy played through the season and should improve as he settles in through a full camp, so he's a better gamble.

No way I touch Robinson this year in FA. No way. He comes with too much risk and the Rams have enough irons in the fire wrt paying out contracts right now.

If they can't get Sammy locked up for a few years, then move on. Go get a TE to improve that room a bit, and let Reynolds know he's next man up. Not ideal, but if they make this defense elite this offseason they'll be fine in the win/loss category with that.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's..Jacksonville?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In this market they're both going to make more than they should. Sammy played through the season and should improve as he settles in through a full camp, so he's a better gamble.

No way I touch Robinson this year in FA. No way. He comes with too much risk and the Rams have enough irons in the fire wrt paying out contracts right now.

If they can't get Sammy locked up for a few years, then move on. Go get a TE to improve that room a bit, and let Reynolds know he's next man up. Not ideal, but if they make this defense elite this offseason they'll be fine in the win/loss category with that.
Agree...The Rams should have had a deal worked out with Sammy before this point, imo...Waiting until the offseason and thinking a deal will be done before FA, is insanity. Takes two to tango, but waiting means you almost always have to overpay, which Demoff rarely does.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I have a feeling Watkins is going to get paid number one money. And it won't be the Rams. They'd love to sign him but he might be the proverbial luxury they can't afford. The way McVay and Goff like to spread the ball around paying top dollar for a receivers wouldn't make sense. That receiver won't get the targets to justify the cost.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
...... Go get a TE to improve that room a bit, and let Reynolds know he's next man up......
Afternoon Merlin, Do you not see any latent talent here on the Rams receiving roster? Rams have 4 very young TE's. Three were drafted during the last 2 drafts. 3 have only one season each & Higbee has only 2 seasons worth of experience. Do you think the Rams have drafted poorly here?

I would expect that Temarrick Hemingway to fully recover from his pre season broken leg. Gerald Everett who came to the Rams very raw & came from a very small college program @ South Alabama should be ready to vastly improve from his rookie season. Those two will push Tyler Higbee who needs to be pushed hard to be better. Even 4th TE Johnny Mundt looked to have excellent soft pass catching hands in his one pre season cameo appearance.

I really like our three reserve WR's too, who were Snead drafted during the 2016/2017 drafts...Mike Thomas 6th rd, Pharoh Cooper 4th rd & Josh Reynolds 4th rd. To run with Kupp & Woods. I say lets get these youngsters some serious work on game day. I think it would be wise to use our young receiver units with little experience a chance to show what they have before investing big guaranteed cap cash in another UFA wide out or TE IMO I would like to hear your thought on this;).

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Afternoon Merlin, Do you not see any latent talent here on the Rams receiving roster? Rams have 4 very young TE's. Three were drafted during the last 2 drafts. 3 have only one season each & Higbee has only 2 seasons worth of experience. Do you think the Rams have drafted poorly here?

I would expect that Temarrick Hemingway to fully recover from his pre season broken leg. Gerald Everett who came to the Rams very raw & came from a very small college program @ South Alabama should be ready to vastly improve from his rookie season. Those two will push Tyler Higbee who needs to be pushed hard to be better. Even 4th TE Johnny Mundt looked to have excellent soft pass catching hands in his one pre season cameo appearance.

I really like our three reserve WR's too, who were Snead drafted during the 2016/2017 drafts...Mike Thomas 6th rd, Pharoh Cooper 4th rd & Josh Reynolds 4th rd. To run with Kupp & Woods. I say lets get these youngsters some serious work on game day. I think it would be wise to use our young receiver units with little experience a chance to show what they have before investing big guaranteed cap cash in another UFA wide out or TE IMO I would like to hear your thought on this;).

IRT the TE room the Rams need a guy who can stretch the seam and otherwise be a threat on option routes. Higs was supposed to deliver on that last season, and they went to him a lot in camp doing just that, but come the season he did not deliver.

I've said more than once that I expect Everett to be an impact player. But that said, for McVay to incorporate that ~20% 12 personnel set situationally he needs to improve the room. Everett can't play two positions.

Lastly, re: Hemingway, until I see the dude get off the training table and produce something on the actual field he's all rainbows and unicorns. Sure, he might step it up and do something, but I would not go into the season expecting it. Same deal with Thomas on the WR side. Most of the time with those types they just end up being JAGs, statistically speaking, so if they're other than that at this point it's a bonus.

McVay has to improve that TE room to get that aspect of his offense going. Standing pat, fortunately, doesn't seem to be his style unlike Jeff Fisher. And what he's missing is a dude who can stretch the seam and option up on a LB's feet and smoke his @$$ all day long. This is why I want Graham, who can also post up on just about anyone.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
We will soon know what McVay thinks of Josh Reynolds. If McVay feels JR can be the deep threat guy it will allow the Rams to focus more on D in FA and the draft. The Rams still have JR, Mike Thomas and possibly TA to utilize in SWs spot if SW does leave for more $. So it wont be like the Rams are short on WRs, it is interesting how TA went from the "star WR" of the previous staff to the bottom of the depth chart in 1 off season. WR is not the weakness it was just a little over 1 year ago, thanks to coach McVay and his staff.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave

I too used to bash Alex Smith, I thought he had a weak arm when he was a niner. Glad they traded him to KC, he was starting to get things going in sf til he was replaced by krapondick.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
How healthy is AR? Not many skill positions sign monster deals coming right off a season ender. A one year prove it may be in order.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree...The Rams should have had a deal worked out with Sammy before this point, imo...Waiting until the offseason and thinking a deal will be done before FA, is insanity. Takes two to tango, but waiting means you almost always have to overpay, which Demoff rarely does.
And if Watkins wanted 15 mill per year the Rams should have paid it?
This stuff kills me. Why is it the Rams fault?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And if Watkins wanted 15 mill per year the Rams should have paid it?
This stuff kills me. Why is it the Rams fault?
This stuff kills me. Why is it never the Rams fault?

Watkins is less of an example of this, but watching the dealings with Rodney McCloud, ,Trumaine Johnson, Janoris Jenkins, and now Aaron Donald...Proactivity doesn't seem to be the Rams strong suit, unless it's giving Austin a big fat contract. If Watkins situation was the only example, I would agree with you. There is a pattern of not signing our own guys over the course of years, because why?

Yeah, it could be unreasonable demands on the part of the players. It could also be that Demoff gives lowball offers for the hometown discount. When they let a player go to FA, it's almost a done deal that the player is gone, unless a team like the Raiders rejects a physical as in Saffold's case. Paying more for homegrown talent (especially) is worth more to me than relying on FA for his replacement. The Rams haven't developed a #1 WR, which was why I was so excited about Watkins.. FINALLY, a #1 WR. The price was high (2nd rounder), but worth it if we locked him down for a few years. Yeah....