Sam is best in the West

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

the arguments on here are really apple to oranges because our offense is completely different from seattles and san frans...they RUN the ball, hard...and play defense.

We pass the ball short to make up for a non-existent running game and have often been behind.

one thing i hate about stats is that they're missing leading - this more indicative of the different offenses.

Anyone really think Brian Hoyer is one of the top qb's in the afc north?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Faceplant said:
jrry32 said:
Faceplant said:
Waaait a minute. You can't just take Wilson's best 20% of the season out of the equation, haha. Take away Sam's day against the Jags and re-compare if you are going to do that. Sorry, but finding one stat and proclaiming our QB to be the best in the West is a tad absurd to me. Sam has higher yds because he has had to chuck it so much due to an ineffective first (and second for the most part) half offense and a defense that allows other teams to walk up and down the field. Carson Palmer put up pretty gaudy #'s last year as well in pretty much the same situation. It was nice to get a win this week, but did I really see someone post that they would much rather have Bradford than Wilson at this point?? Not trying to bash anyone, but would love to have that discussion and maybe someone can straighten ME out. I thought we all agreed we would trade stats for wins??

Yea, you can. We're talking about how well a QB has played overall. Not how well they can pad their stats against the worst team in the NFL. Take away Sam's game against Jax. Go ahead.

Our QB has been the best in the West so far. Not because he's been elite...mainly because all the QBs in the West have been pretty average or worse this year.

So you say you want to judge the entire body of work, yet you take away 20% of it? Also, if you want to look at how well a QB has played overall, would you not consider other things...like quarter by quarter production, or 3rd down conversion % for example. Also, do you not put any stock in win totals when judging QB play? If so, how much?

Hopefully this post doesn't get edited like one I had earlier. I think this is interesting discussion. I certainly don't feel like I have attacked anyone, but apparently feelings are easily bruised around here if we don't all agree on something...especially if it involves Sammy.

How is that a contradiction? YES. I want to judge his entire body of work. So to highlight just how mediocre he's been this year, I took away the 1 game where he statpadded against the worst team in the NFL.

If you want a QB that looks mediocre against decent or better competition but can beat up on the worst teams in the NFL...have at it. I don't.

So Wilson throwing half of his TDs against the Jaguars is relevant. And I removed that game to show that he really hasn't been impressive in the other 4 contests.

It's about his overall body of work...not just how he played against the Jaguars. It's not like I claimed the Jags game didn't happen. I told you in the post that I removed it to show how mediocre he's been in 80% of his games.

I'd say those 4 games are more revealing about his level of play than 1 game against the worst team in the NFL. Do you disagree?

No, I don't put any stock in wins. Romo's performance against Denver in a loss is far more impressive to me than Carson Palmer's performance against Carolina in a win.

I also much prefer game film to stats because stats can be misleading. However, when I have watched Seattle play this year, Wilson did not impress me. He was overly reliant on his legs, didn't look sharp in terms of accuracy and looked shaky in the pocket.

nighttrain

Legend
ChrisW said:
Graphicker said:
At the end of the day all that matters is Wins.

3 of those QB's have a .500 record. We need to start winning.

I agree, but don't you think that Sam is doing his job? Not turning the ball over, and putting the ball in the end zone 3 times?

I agree part of the loss in San Fran was on him playing such a crappy game, but he's put up the best numbers against any QB that's play JAX this year.
Good rebound game for SB..
train

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
[quote="Faceplant but apparently feelings are easily bruised around here if we don't all agree on something...especially if it involves Sammy.[/quote]

This part was entirely un needed I get a good debate but attacking other posters is just another thing I'm tired of seeing around hear if that makes me easily bruised so be it

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stranger said:
kurtfaulk said:
Stranger said:
I guess I'm trying to understand where the points of separation really are between the NFCW teams. Any insights from the Football minds would be appreciated.

it's very simple.

points against

seagulls - 81
whiners - 98
cards - 95
rams - 141

that's why the rams are sitting at the bottom. the cards offense is abysmal but their defense keeps them in games. the rams d has been beyond awful and the offense isn't good enough yet to win games on it's own.

amazing to me that we are talking about our D as one of our primary weaknesses.

the rams have 3 primary weaknesses. defense, offense and special teams. they are all playing below par. i just happen to think having a terrible d puts the rams behind the 8 ball more than the other two weaknesses.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Faceplant said:
Hopefully this post doesn't get edited like one I had earlier. I think this is interesting discussion. I certainly don't feel like I have attacked anyone, but apparently feelings are easily bruised around here if we don't all agree on something...especially if it involves Sammy.
I did that. And I've edited hundreds of others, and even had mine edited by the mods. I don't think many people fully appreciate the amount of work that goes into maintaining a good image around here. There are players, media and the Rams FO looking in on this place, so I don't want it to look like all the other sites that let aggression go unchecked. And yeah, you were a little aggressive. But like I said ... I've been guilty of the same thing.

We're supposed to stand for something around here, and somewhere along the way that got lost. Maybe it's because of the 200% increase in membership since last year and new members aren't fully aware of the type of image we want to convey to the viewing public. Or maybe people stopped giving a shit. I don't know. I'll continue to work hard to give everyone a civil forum deserving of civil debate, as well as a forum that upon first glance doesn't look like we all hate the team, but it's getting harder to do and is significantly less rewarding now.

Just sayin'. (and not to you specifically)

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
X said:
Faceplant said:
I did that. And I've edited hundreds of others, and even had mine edited by the mods. I don't think many people fully appreciate the amount of work that goes into maintaining a good image around here. There are players, media and the Rams FO looking in on this place, so I don't want it to look like all the other sites that let aggression go unchecked. And yeah, you were a little aggressive. But like I said ... I've been guilty of the same thing.

We're supposed to stand for something around here, and somewhere along the way that got lost. Maybe it's because of the 200% increase in membership since last year and new members aren't fully aware of the type of image we want to convey to the viewing public. Or maybe people stopped giving a shyte. I don't know. I'll continue to work hard to give everyone a civil forum deserving of civil debate, as well as a forum that upon first glance doesn't look like we all hate the team, but it's getting harder to do and is significantly less rewarding now.

And I respect and ty for all the hard work y'all do I come here for the comraderie banter and simular interest not infighting team bashing and finger pointing

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
Sam is getting done this year with a young squad. I been for one happy with his play. I think Kap might have moxy but his lack of passing is going to cost Niners big in post season. I expect we are going to see more success for the offense with Stacy starting.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
X said:
Faceplant said:

We're supposed to stand for something around here, and somewhere along the way that got lost. Maybe it's because of the 200% increase in membership since last year and new members aren't fully aware of the type of image we want to convey to the viewing public. Or maybe people stopped giving a shyte. I don't know. I'll continue to work hard to give everyone a civil forum deserving of civil debate, as well as a forum that upon first glance doesn't look like we all hate the team, but it's getting harder to do and is significantly less rewarding now.

And I appreciate it as well X (you too CGI). I have migrated from another 'Real' 'Fans' site that initially was similar to this one but the infighting and bitching is just beyond comprehension over there now. We're all fans otherwise we wouldn't (or shouldn't) be here. Yes, we all get disappointed with the team (and have been for a number of years) but I often ask myself the question when I read some of the vitriol I read on some Forums "If you were a couple of fans at the game who didn't know each other, would you be as aggressive as some are on the web?" I would hope we could all voice our displeasure and move forward without questioning the sanity and manhood of fellow fans.

I for one enjoy the 'fandom' of this site. I hope it stays that way.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ramrocket said:
I would hope we could all voice our displeasure and move forward without questioning the sanity and manhood of fellow fans.
Boom.

Mission Statement.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Aside from the numbers, who in the West is more responsible for his team's wins and losses? I think that is something that isn't being acknowledged much. Sam has had to shoulder a ton of responsibility this year and has been doing a pretty good job. Maybe his numbers aren't where everyone wants them to be but he's still off to the best start to a season in his career.

Plus, he's doing what he's doing without much help. The running game has been pretty non-existent and the field position has generally been pretty terrible too. Not to mention the drops and questionable receiving corps. Or the o-line that is once again banged up and has not yet started to gel.

Big picture, Rams fans should not only not be complaining so much about Bradford, they should be proud of what he's done so far.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
bluecoconuts said:
Wilson and Kaepernick are great game managers and they are lucky to be on such strong teams. However if they were on a team that they had to carry the load instead of being carried, they'd probably be on the bench or about to be kicked out of the NFL. Nobody would be talking about them, that's for sure. Extremely overrated players because of their team, their actual QB ability is pretty low if you ask me.

They are not game managers even, they are tuck and run "QBs". First read isn't open, then they run the ball. That's why such players always have low INT numbers and higher ratings. There is no substitute for a great pocket passer. Just look at Manning this year, and the superbowl winner almost every year.