Safety over linebacker

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
McLeod needs to play slot CB. Joyner needs to play FS. When Joyner gets healthy. Barron was great today as a hybrid S/LB for us and it allowed us a lot of freedom in our usage of T.J. who killed it in that role. Plus, Ogletree actually played well today. Considering Barron has not even gotten the scheme down, I like this trade. Especially if Ogletree comes around.

Joyner injury hurts meaning that Gaines, Johnson or Jenkins will move into the Nickle if Barron does not have the scheme down yet or I have no ideal who best fits that role?

From what I saw safety Barron will get a lot of work done in the Rams defense & yes it made a big difference in TJ McDonald's play yesterday. I agree with you I i really like the trade overall myself. Barron showed a ton of top speed & even in coverages when he played @ Bama but I have no ideal what his timed stuff was then. Barron has kept himself injury free thus far in the NFL always good!

As far as whats in store for Rodney McLeod when our DC settles in to play the big safeties Barron & McDonald as starters which may be real soon ?? Rodney McLeod may get to play some Nickel/slot corner with Joyner out....when GW goes to the Nickle he may just run Barron in & let McLeod take Joyner's post.

When Joyner gets back ready to play then its going to get interesting to see if Joyner goes back to Nickle or gets some deep safety or what all depends on Rodney McLeod's play. The future role for Rodney may be as the top reserve to the deep safety & Nickle/Slot corner posts not a bad situation for us is it?.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I thought Fisher's system didn't really emphasize strong or free safety at all. (Spags was the same way as a matter of trivia.)

If true, that would make the whole "We still don't have a free safety!" argument irrelevant.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Exactly @Boffo and the further Rodney McLeod is from the actual base & nickle defenses when they are on the field, the better....This IS NOT a top rated group...They have played well in stretches, but that's about it....Get this UDFA off the damn field, period...Barron is an every down player. So is TJ McDonald...Move either EJ or Jenoris Jenkins to slot in the Nickle packages....get some stability out there....McLeod has cost us big when if he was in position, simply playing his deep 1/3, he could have had easy plays on the ball.....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought Fisher's system didn't really emphasize strong or free safety at all. (Spags was the same way as a matter of trivia.)

If true, that would make the whole "We still don't have a free safety!" argument irrelevant.

That's more a matter of positioning. Fisher can say that they don't have a free and strong safety but they do. The roles McDonald and McLeod play are VERY different. I think it's more that where McLeod and McDonald line up on the field are not dictated by the offensive scheme(traditionally, the strong safety lined up the strong-side of the formation with the free safety in the middle of the field or on the weak-side of the formation).