Run Defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
What I saw with our linebackers in general, was not that they couldn't get off blocks, as much as, not diagnosing, or not trusting their reads, which allowed them to be blocked on the 2nd level. If they react faster, and fill the hole, they will beat the Guards to the spot, and render them ineffective. Dunbar was the only one in that game that was making hits, and filling holes on the 1st level, not every time, but more than the other guys.

Thanks for the breakdown. Good stuff.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
First long run, AO misses tackle in hole . .. others missed tackles to make it a long play.Scheme was fine, one breakdown led to others.

anode8

Professional lurker, occasional poster.
Name
Ron
The LBs particularly Ogletree couldn't get off blocks week one. It was better week two but not great.

I noticed this from the JL55 mic'ed up thread elsewhere on this forum. You can clearly see him engaged in a block long enough for Mainey to slip right by him. This was on one of the short runs, too. I think that if that becomes a point of emphasis, our run D gets a lot better.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
upload_2014-9-18_15-3-42.png

upload_2014-9-18_15-4-15.png

upload_2014-9-18_15-6-56.png

upload_2014-9-18_15-7-34.png

upload_2014-9-18_15-8-27.png

upload_2014-9-18_15-9-25.png

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
upload_2014-9-18_15-11-41.png

JL was grabbed at end

Attachments

• upload_2014-9-18_15-10-20.png
    upload_2014-9-18_15-10-20.png
    357.4 KB · Views: 142

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
So, on the two longest runs, AO missed a tackle in the hole, and on the last one Donald took an inside move and back moved through it and JL was held, possible covering for Donald,

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Last edited:

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
On that one, you can't expect the backer to make the tackle, that's at least a two or three gap hole. Gap integrity issue right there.
If you mean the 2nd one, I agree, that's the point. Donald took a chance (or was told to) and missed. Then, on second level JL was held when RB cut outside. JL had inside leverage and RB went other way, JL tried to adjust and is held. But the initial problem is the 3-tech went inside and left the strong A gap open.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
If you mean the 2nd one, I agree, that's the point. Donald took a chance (or was told to) and missed. Then, on second level JL was held when RB cut outside. JL had inside leverage and RB went other way, JL tried to adjust and is held. But the initial problem is the 3-tech went inside and left the strong A gap open.
Yeah it was the 2nd one, you can't see the pics on my reply. There was a lot of holding in that game against us. They did the Justin Smith thing to us against our offense a couple of times too.

I agree on the 3-tech completely, IF that was on him, only the coaches and players know that for sure, but you can't leave a gaping hole like that.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
On that first set of gifs pointing out Olgletree. . . is held in the hole on that play? It looks like the Olineman has an arm extended grabbing Alec's right shouler

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
I don;t
On that first set of gifs pointing out Olgletree. . . is held in the hole on that play? It looks like the Olineman has an arm extended grabbing Alec's right shouler

I don't think so. On the 2nd one, JL jersey get's pulled and I show only one frame, I didn't see anything like that with AO.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I just wanted to clarify. . . . I guess you must see actually pulling of the jersey? I love when members post gif shots that break plays down. I'm still learning these nuances as I've always enjoyed watching football but never played it more than a season.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Just stop the run, Rams.

It's what you can do.