Roster questions linger for Rams/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Roster questions linger for Rams
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_f34aa2ba-8a38-5081-ac5b-bd44e29317f2.html

Checking the stat sheet after one of the busiest opening weeks of free agency in franchise history, the Rams:

• Released two veterans in center Scott Wells and offensive tackle Jake Long.

• Swapped quarterbacks (and draft picks) in a trade that sent Sam Bradford to Philadelphia and brought Nick Foles here.

• Traded a seventh-round draft pick in 2016 to Houston for quarterback Case Keenum.

• Added a pair of defensive role players in linebacker Akeem Ayers and defensive tackle Nick Fairley.

• Re-signed tight end Lance Kendricks and wide receiver Kenny Britt.

On the other side of the coin, they lost quarterback Shaun Hill to Minnesota. Defensive tackle Kendall Langford was released in a salary cap move and ended up signing with Indianapolis. And free agent Mike Person ended up with Atlanta.

Person, who was the seventh man on the Rams’ offensive line last season, signed a three-year, $3.5 million deal with the Falcons, which included a $500,000 signing bonus. It’s unclear if the Rams wanted to re-sign him.

When it came to Langford, the Rams essentially swapped him out for Fairley. Cutting Langford saved the Rams $6 million. Adding Fairley counts about $4.75 against the cap this year. So the Rams saved a little money (about $1.25 million) in hiring a new third D-tackle.

As for Hill, the Rams pushed hard to bring him back, but he opted instead for the Vikings, on a two-year, $6.5 million deal that includes $3.2 million in guaranteed money, and incentives that could max out the contract at $7.5 million.

That was probably too rich for the Rams’ blood; they payed Hill $1.75 million in 2014. Hill’s departure was lost in the shuffle of the Bradford-for-Foles trade, but it left the Rams scrambling for backup help.

They looked a little silly trading for Keenum, a player they cut from the roster last season. Keenum wouldn’t be here if the Rams had re-signed Hill.

“To be honest, he didn’t get a lot of opportunity (with the Rams),” coach Jeff Fisher said Friday. “When he left our practice squad and went back to Houston, he won two games for ’em. So he can play the position.”

Then again, he was 0-8 as a starter for the Texans in 2013.

So, the Rams currently have a quarterback trio of Foles, Keenum and Austin Davis. That’s assuming no one makes an offer to Davis, who has been tendered at the $1.5 million level with no draft-pick compensation if the Rams declined to match an outside offer.

It remains to be seen if that trio of QBs tops last year’s quarterback group of Bradford, Hill and Davis.

One thing to keep in mind on Foles, Keenum and Davis: All three have contracts that expire after the 2015 season (and that’s assuming Davis returns). So it still makes sense for the Rams to select a quarterback in this year’s draft — and one that has starter’s potential. That’s true in part because Foles hasn’t exactly been Cal Ripken in terms of durability, missing eight games last season with a collarbone injury and one full game and part of another with a concussion in 2013.

For the sake of argument, say the Rams draft Baylor’s Bryce Petty in the second round this year. Under that scenario, Foles starts, Petty learns the pro-style game and Davis and Keenum slug it out for the backup job in training camp.

So the quarterback issue remains in flux even with the arrival of Foles.

The other huge roster hole despite all that Rams’ activity in Week 1 of free agency is the offensive line. The team needs a starting center, right guard, and right tackle. Other than that, Foles will be lining up behind the Great Wall of China.

While there’s reason for anxiety, there’s no need for panic — yet. Two players the Rams appear to have targeted in free agency, guard Justin Blalock and center Stefen Wisniewski, are still available.

Released by Atlanta, Blalock, 31, visited Detroit last week before returning home. He’s expected to visit the Rams this week. Wisniewski, who turns 26 on March 22, is a free agent from Oakland who has visited Tampa Bay and Seattle. His agent said it’s “very possible” he visits St. Louis this week.

Another starting center hit the market late last week when Arizona released Lyle Sendlein, 30. It’s not clear if the Rams are interested in him, or vice versa.

If the Rams lose out on a free-agent center, they could turn to Barrett Jones, who has played very little in two seasons with the club because of a foot injury (from college) and back surgery.

At right tackle, the Rams’ starter during the past two seasons, Joe Barksdale, remains in play. It looks like the market hasn’t developed as expected by Barksdale and his agent. He has taken no visits, perhaps partly because he got married Saturday.

Where at first it looked as if Barksdale was gone to greener pastures, it now seems the Rams could get him on the rebound.

The Rams currently have about $11 million in cap space, so when you factor in the cost of signing their draft class and signing a practice squad, they might not have enough cap room to land Barksdale, Blalock and Wisniewski. But they could get two of the three. And there are cap adjustments easily made on their existing roster that would create room for all three.

fearsomefour

Legend
Out of the trio of Blalock, Wiz and Barksdale I would go with Wiz and Barksdale.
Wiz has played C and G. Best case Jones or Rhaney dominates and takes the C job Wiz can be shifted to LG. I don't think Blalock would be moves to C.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Out of the trio of Blalock, Wiz and Barksdale I would go with Wiz and Barksdale.
Wiz has played C and G. Best case Jones or Rhaney dominates and takes the C job Wiz can be shifted to LG. I don't think Blalock would be moves to C.

That's a scenario several of us are hoping for! But I wouldn't be surprised if we sign one FA & trade back at #10. There are a lot of very good OL's in this draft. We can get a couple of starters in the first 3 rounds and good depth later.

'Roster questions linger for Rams/PD' - another pedestrian effort from JT. I get better insight on our team from this forum than from a guy who's paid to cover the Rams...

fearsomefour

Legend
That's a scenario several of us are hoping for! But I wouldn't be surprised if we sign one FA & trade back at #10. There are a lot of very good OL's in this draft. We can get a couple of starters in the first 3 rounds and good depth later.

'Roster questions linger for Rams/PD' - another pedestrian effort from JT. I get better insight on our team from this forum than from a guy who's paid to cover the Rams...
Could well be.
I haven't looked at the O line in this draft class much, but, generally I am a fan of trading back.
Signing Barks, Wiz and resigning Long as a reserve T as a vet minimum guy AND landing a couple good draft picks works for me. The Rams need a significant influx of talent to fix the line issues.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike

Could well be.
I haven't looked at the O line in this draft class much, but, generally I am a fan of trading back.
Signing Barks, Wiz and resigning Long as a reserve T as a vet minimum guy AND landing a couple good draft picks works for me. The Rams need a significant influx of talent to fix the line issues.

I think certainly more opinions and possible scenarios come from this site, but I'm not sure the insight is any greater at all...I agree that he's paid to cover the Rams and what they do, I'm not sure he's paid to offer up his own ideas on what he thinks they should do...

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I think certainly more opinions and possible scenarios come from this site, but I'm not sure the insight is any greater at all...I agree that he's paid to cover the Rams and what they do, I'm not sure he's paid to offer up his own ideas on what he thinks they should do...

Exactly. He's a reporter, not a columnist. Technically it's Bernie's job to offer up ideas on what they should do. It's JT's job to tell us what they actually do. It just seems pedestrian because most of us on the board pay a lot of attention in the off-season. The people JT is actually writing for are just glancing over the sports in the morning paper before work.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
He's such a cranky old fart who gets a hard on by putting Fisher on the hot seat. There are many more reasons to be optimistic that gloomy this time, and that guy chose to be gloomy. IDK what his problem is, but if I was his boss then I'd tell him to suck it up or take the train to SEA. There he could ask Pete if there is any chance they lose and talk about how bad the Rams are freely. I like his facts, but his opionions are biasly negative. I only like his news.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Then again, he was 0-8 as a starter for the Texans in 2013.
This said, about Case Keenum, does not do justice to how he played for a Team that 'Stunk-up the joint'! He played very well IMHO!

fearsomefour

Legend
All we fans have to offer in most cases is opinion....hard to have insight when you're on the outside looking in.
JT has his job and actually I think he is pretty good at it. Bernie is, well, Bernie. A guy like Shane offers a lot. He reports facts and provides his opinion to go along with the facts.

fearsomefour

Legend
This said, about Case Keenum, does not do justice to how he played for a Team that 'Stunk-up the joint'! He played very well IMHO!
He played pretty well, especially given the circumstances of that team. I don't mind the Rams giving a seventh round pick for him (or for any player who is a vet), how's many seventh round picks even make rosters? In this age of compensatory picks I would trade 6th or 7th round picks for vets all day long.
*this post is not meant to provide insight.

SierraRam

Recreational User
but I'm not sure the insight is any greater at all.

We have tremendous insight here. Coach O, Shane, and several others at training camp. I was very impressed last year. I'm a long way from St. Louis, and this site is the only place I need to go now for Ram info.

It just seems pedestrian because most of us on the board pay a lot of attention in the off-season. The people JT is actually writing for are just glancing over the sports in the morning paper before work.

Point taken

*this post is not meant to provide insight.

:ROFLMAO:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
He's such a cranky old fart who gets a hard on by putting Fisher on the hot seat. There are many more reasons to be optimistic that gloomy this time, and that guy chose to be gloomy. IDK what his problem is, but if I was his boss then I'd tell him to suck it up or take the train to SEA. There he could ask Pete if there is any chance they lose and talk about how bad the Rams are freely. I like his facts, but his opionions are biasly negative. I only like his news.

Let's be honest. We haven't had a winning season in forever. Fisher is entering his 4th year without a .500 record. His butt should be on the hot seat. There have been great reasons for optimistic views for 2-3 years now, and we've squandered them. I'm as excited about Foles and the rest as anyone, but right now there isn't a news team anywhere in the country that would fawn over us. We're going to have to actually earn that with wins.
It just seems to me that JT, Bernie, and the rest are very mild in their criticism vs what we'd get from other city's reporters.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Let's be honest. We haven't had a winning season in forever. Fisher is entering his 4th year without a .500 record. His butt should be on the hot seat. There have been great reasons for optimistic views for 2-3 years now, and we've squandered them. I'm as excited about Foles and the rest as anyone, but right now there isn't a news team anywhere in the country that would fawn over us. We're going to have to actually earn that with wins.
It just seems to me that JT, Bernie, and the rest are very mild in their criticism vs what we'd get from other city's reporters.

If you consider JT's snarky "Do you have a chance" question before the DEN game mild then you need to check yourself. JT is a whiny, cranky, troll who gets upset when the team keeps him out of the loop.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
If you consider JT's snarky "Do you have a chance" question before the DEN game mild then you need to check yourself. JT is a whiny, cranky, troll who gets upset when the team keeps him out of the loop.

"Check myself?" What's that supposed to mean exactly?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Re-evaluate

I just don't think one comment before a game the entire world thought we would lose qualifies him to be a whiny troll. I think if the Eagles were to lose for a decade and let's be honest, fail to generate much in the way of wins after the draft bonanza we had, the media there would be burning the place down. If we were to actually go 9-7 the treatment we'd get from the STL media would qualify as "fawning." It's soft treatment here, and everyone knows it.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
His "problem" with this organization all started when Spagnuolo canned is "inside source" and friend Todd Hewitt (former equipment manager), BECAUSE he continually supplied Thomas with information.

Ever since, he makes a point of taking the negative directive, and rarely "breaks" a story. You are correct, he gets a kick out of putting Fisher on the hot seat, and Fisher, tolerates him because of his position as the beat writer for the only newspaper in town. He is rarely given any REAL information, and therefore has to verify news as it it picked up by other sources. I give him credit, in that he rarely will print or post anything he hasn't verified, but to say he is privy to anything is a stretch.

I have had a few one on one conversations with JT while at training camp, and he comes off as if he is entitled, when in fact, he spends most of his time at practice standing among a group of other media members at the end of the field without paying much attention to what is going on ON THE FIELD. When he talks opinion, he comes off as nothing more than a fan, and is about as on the mark as most in here when it comes to knowing what is/will happen with this organization. But he presents himself as some sort of expert strictly based off of his press credentials.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
His "problem" with this organization all started when Spagnuolo canned is "inside source" and friend Todd Hewitt (former equipment manager), BECAUSE he continually supplied Thomas with information.

Ever since, he makes a point of taking the negative directive, and rarely "breaks" a story. You are correct, he gets a kick out of putting Fisher on the hot seat, and Fisher, tolerates him because of his position as the beat writer for the only newspaper in town. He is rarely given any REAL information, and therefore has to verify news as it it picked up by other sources. I give him credit, in that he rarely will print or post anything he hasn't verified, but to say he is privy to anything is a stretch.

I have had a few one on one conversations with JT while at training camp, and he comes off as if he is entitled, when in fact, he spends most of his time at practice standing among a group of other media members at the end of the field without paying much attention to what is going on ON THE FIELD. When he talks opinion, he comes off as nothing more than a fan, and is about as on the mark as most in here when it comes to knowing what is/will happen with this organization. But he presents himself as some sort of expert strictly based off of his press credentials.

Great response. I wouldn't have any problem with him if he didn't clearly lean towards a negative bias. With the 10th overall pick, more FA to come, and the rest of the draft to go, JT focuses on the prospect of our impending doom. Just read his last piece and look how many times he undermines Fisher to sew seeds of doubt. I mean I still feel confident Barks would be a Ram and a second round C would be much better than Wells. Add in a mauling G from somewhere to play RG, or LG if Safgold moves, then we are in better shape then last year. But that's not the message that relates to JT's motive. Burns me up...

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I don't understand why we expect optimism and rainbows from the media. We haven't played a meaningful game with REAL playoff implications in years, the HC has had more high draft picks than any i can remember and has gotten worse records every year and the owner is buying stadium property in another town. I understand how I can be optimistic every year, I'm a fan hell or high water, but the media has to deal in realities. And the reality is unless we start to win some games this won't improve to any degree.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I don't understand why we expect optimism and rainbows from the media. We haven't played a meaningful game with REAL playoff implications in years, the HC has had more high draft picks than any i can remember and has gotten worse records every year and the owner is buying stadium property in another town. I understand how I can be optimistic every year, I'm a fan hell or high water, but the media has to deal in realities. And the reality is unless we start to win some games this won't improve to any degree.
Your point is well taken, but in JT's role as a beat reporter, his JOB is to report the goings on within the organization, not to editorialize it with his negative spin. You pointed out that Bernie is a columnist, so if he interjects his opinion so be it, we take it for what it is.

As for Thomas, go back and read his stuff on this organization BEFORE Hewitt was fired, and you will notice a drastic different slant. Now he just comes off as bitter. He realizes he is no longer "in the know" and for him to get any real news, he might have to do some actual work to get it. He doesn't need to be a cheerleader, but it would be nice if he would try to relate the what and why's behind the moves, rather than the "why not" all the time.