Rodger Saffold placed on injured reserve

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2015/10/14/rams-saffold-out-indefinitely/

ST. LOUIS (AP) — The St. Louis Rams lost plenty of experience on the offensive line when guard Rodger Saffold injured his shoulder in the first half of Sunday’s loss in Green Bay.

They’re using the bye week to help figure out what to do.

Left tackle Greg Robinson, in his second year and now a veteran in this group, said part of Tuesday’s workout was devoted to dealing with stunts and twists that teams have been throwing at the Rams (2-3). Coaches are stressing that proper technique can foil such tactics.

“We worked on it a lot today, just because it was so obvious that teams have noticed we’ve struggled with it and if we don’t fix it it’s going to continue to happen,” Robinson said. “Once you stop them, they’ll stop gaming us.”

Linemen worked on making sure they popped back off the line at the snap to give themselves room to deal with the rushes that are coming from everywhere.

“If we keep everything in front of us they’ll basically be twisting on air,” Robinson said. “If we give them our bodies and we don’t get back it’s easier for them to knock us off-balance.”

The line is a collection of diligent workers absorbing the finer points of the game from line coach Paul Boudreau.

“If we don’t exaggerate the techniques in practice, we won’t really fix the games,” Robinson said. “Nine times out of 10 they will give it away, guys will talk or there will be things you notice.”

Saffold, a six-year veteran, will be out indefinitely with a right shoulder injury. He also had problems with the shoulder during the preseason. He also has had issues with his left shoulder, and underwent surgery after last season.

On Tuesday, coach Jeff Fisher had no update on the prognosis for Saffold, who had been undergoing testing.

“He was one of the vets in the room and we need that leadership on the field,” Robinson said. “I just hope that things go well and he can stick it out.”

The Rams signed swingman Garrett Reynolds to a free agent deal in the offseason for just such a situation. He has 27 starts, including four last season at tackle with Detroit and 10 at guard in 2013 with Atlanta.

“Nothing was ever said to me, but that’s just the kind of person I’ve always been,” Reynolds said. “Wherever you need me, throw me in there and I’ll be ready to roll.”

The Rams made it tougher on the opposition when they separated rookies Rob Havenstein and Jamon Brown, who played side by side much of the preseason. Havenstein stayed at right tackle and Brown moved to left guard.

“Breaking us up made it harder to pinpoint, but we’ve still had our share of twists and stunts,” said Brown, a third-round pick. “I think teams are going to keep doing it because it’s the hardest thing to pick up.”

Even after losing Saffold, the line showed its strength in the run game by opening holes for rookie Todd Gurley. Gurley had 146 yards at Arizona in his first start and topped that with 159 yards last week. He ranks second among rookies with 314 yards to go with a 5.7-yard average.

“Gurley has had two big games,” Robinson said. “He’s a great player, he’s been running hard — and we’ve been blocking hard.”

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Guess it's time to rally behind Garrett Reynolds and play good football. Interesting that the article talks about how swapping Brown and Saffold hurt their growth.

Athos

Legend
Par for the course with Saffold. :mad:

Should have drafted his replacement awhile ago. Great talent. Can't stay on the field to save his life.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Interesting that the article talks about how swapping Brown and Saffold hurt their growth.
I could be wrong but I think he meant it made it harder for defenders to go right at the two rookies side by side but that they still saw their share of twists and stunts.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That sounds more dire than what Fisher alluded to... Saffold has usually come back faster than expected.

I know he gets injured a lot... but he seems pretty resilient.

Hopefully, that's the case this time.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Par for the course with Saffold. :mad:

Should have drafted his replacement awhile ago. Great talent. Can't stay on the field to save his life.
Guess we'll see but that player may already be on the team in the form of Reynolds.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I could be wrong but I think he meant it made it harder for defenders to go right at the two rookies side by side but that they still saw their share of twists and stunts.
No, you're right, I read it wrong.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
You could have recycled this article and I wouldn't have even known, he's been injured so much. Honestly, this might be a good thing for us. Saffold hasn't been playing well and it might allow us to see what we have elsewhere. If we play Reynolds, he's only 28, so if he plays well, he can be a building block. If we play Wichmann or Rhaney or Donnal, we can see our young drafted talent in action with the first team. We might shuffle it around a little, move, say, Havenstein to RG and have a guy like Darrell Williams play RT. We have some options when it comes to how we want to replace Saffold and it might help give us an idea of what we truly have.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Statistically (PFF stats...) Reynolds was the much better player this past Sunday, so... hopefully he's ready to step in and perform at a high level.

Stel

Starter
I suspect this may be Saffold's last year. I think all his guaranteed money is finished and his 2016 salary becomes guaranteed early in the next league year ($4+ million). He will be $3 mil in dead money if cut due to signing bonus, but still a $3 mil cap savings. Like him but he just isn't reliable due to injuries.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I suspect this may be Saffold's last year. I think all his guaranteed money is finished and his 2016 salary becomes guaranteed early in the next league year ($4+ million). He will be $3 mil in dead money if cut due to signing bonus, but still a $3 mil cap savings. Like him but he just isn't reliable due to injuries.
That may have been part of the rationale for drafting so many OL this year... Wichmann looked good in limited preseason time. Brown has been mostly good as a starter. Havenstein has been serviceable-to-decent. And they still have Reynolds, who played well in relief of Saffold last week, Battle on the PS, Donnal, Williams and Rhaney. They gave themselves the depth to work with if Saffold gets hurt, or if Robinson doesn't progress, or if one of the rookies on the line doesn't work out.

Now, nevermind that multiple of those scenarios may be happening, at least they have depth to work with.

Athos

Legend
Anyone pay attention to Reynolds when he took over?

Did he look significantly better than Rodger?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
If we're going to keep running the zone, we could get a look at Rhaney too. He can throw some mean cut blocks and get down field. At least then, maybe someone can cut the backside off when we run left.

iced

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5856/rodger-saffold

ESPN's Adam Caplan reports Rams RG Rodger Saffold (shoulder) could miss the rest of the season.

[Saffold] is not expected to to return to the playing field soon, if at all this season," tweeted Caplan. Seemingly annually injured, Saffold has a history of shoulder issues, though this one isn't the same shoulder he had surgically-repaired a couple years back. Theoretically, it's a big loss for the Rams, but Saffold was PFF"s fourth-worst guard out of 79 qualifiers after five weeks. Veteran Garrett Reynolds is expected to step in at right guard in place of Saffold.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I expect Reynolds to be our Joe Barksdale of guard this season: effective when cohesive with hopefully an ability to adjust to what the defenses are throwing at them. Barksdale always suffered when dealing with base 3-4 defenses.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Anyone pay attention to Reynolds when he took over?

Did he look significantly better than Rodger?
He graded out a lot better, and the ground yards seemed to come easier.