Robert Griffin III tries to bait penalties

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/17/rg3-tries-to-bait-defensive-players-into-personal-fouls/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... nal-fouls/</a>

RG3 tries to bait defensive players into personal fouls

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 17, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Washington Redskins v Dallas Cowboys
Getty Images
When Washington quarterback Robert Griffin III steps out of bounds at the end of a run, he tries to time it so that he’ll get hit a split second too late, incurring a 15-yard penalty on the defense.

That’s the word from John Keim of ESPN.com, who quotes Griffin as saying there are times he tries to draw a penalty on players as he runs to the sideline.

So far, the tactic apparently hasn’t worked. The Cowboys got two personal fouls for hits on Griffin on Sunday, but Griffin said that wasn’t his intention on either of those two plays. Griffin also said he tried to bait Lions defensive back Rashean Mathis into such a penalty in Week Three, but Mathis knew exactly what Griffin was doing and told Griffin it wasn’t going to work.

“He’s a smart player; he didn’t hit me,” Griffin said of Mathis. “I kind of stopped well inside in bounds to try to get him to hit me and he didn’t. He said, ‘I’m not taking that penalty, Griff.’ I said, ‘I got you, man.’”

Still, Griffin said that if he can get inside defensive players’ heads, there might be opportunities for him to turn upfield at the sideline instead of going out of bounds and run right past a defensive player who has started to slow down.

“There will be situations, and that’s why guys don’t want to pull up,” Griffin said. “It’s happened in the past with Michael Vick or someone like that who has run to the sidelines, stopped and then gotten 20 more yards because the guy runs out of bounds trying not to hit the quarterback.”

The question, however, is whether Griffin is putting himself at risk when he does that: Griffin might cut it too close some time and end up with a tackler drilling him at the sideline when he could have run out of bounds safely. The risk of another knee injury isn’t worth the reward of 15 yards.

This guy officially is on my dislike list. I will never use his fun rhyming name, he is now Robert Griffin III.

Shame what a great talent that's being ruined first by media hype and now the man himself.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
This is the same guy who was crying after week 2 last year about getting hit too often. I hope someone knocks his dick in the dirt. Not hoping for an injury, just a clean & vicious hit.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Ever notice he looks like Eddie Murphy pretending to be a QB?

GRI283140_zps9e45aa9e.png

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I actually think this is really smart - I mean think about it, I know he's SAYING that he tries to draw the fouls, but what would you do if you're a defensive player and read this? I know I would concentrate every time he goes to the sideline and make damn sure I dont rough him. I think that Griffin is saying this to prevent himself from being hit out of bounds....why else say this to someone who will undoubtedly report it?

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I hope the refs read this and protect him a little less. At the point of these hits he is a runningback and shojld be treated as one. Runningbacks don't get those flags.

I have hated Bobby Griffin since the day he got drafted. He's been the most over hyped QB in the NFL. He only had four more victories his rookie year than the Skins had the year before. One can argue that that was due to them running the ball very well and getting a top notch receiver for him.

Don't forget, Rex Grossman gave the a 4-0 start.

The real Bobby has shown himself this season. Once you figure out how to stop a running QB from beating you with their legs, they prove to be useless.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
FrantikRam said:
I actually think this is really smart - I mean think about it, I know he's SAYING that he tries to draw the fouls, but what would you do if you're a defensive player and read this? I know I would concentrate every time he goes to the sideline and make damn sure I dont rough him. I think that Griffin is saying this to prevent himself from being hit out of bounds....why else say this to someone who will undoubtedly report it?

IDK why he would, and this is the first I've heard of it. So that means he's been timing to step out just right to get smacked before this. It's a douchy move. I hope someone creams his ass. Penalty or not. Be careful what you wish for.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
The defenders should go right for the knees. Get out of bounds if you dont want to get hit.

I seen him do that in the cowboys game. He was high stepping on the border line, wasn't getting out of bounds.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I've always hated when players use the threat of a late hit penalty along side lines to get extra yards, this is just the first time that I've heard someone admit to doing this publicly.

And this is why so few people shed a tear when he gets injured.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Whatever. It's just a matter of time before he gets knocked out again. And again. And again......

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Glad this pinhead can't keep his trap shut. You know refs are seeing this. If I'm in stripes and I see him get whacked at the sideline, I'm thinking about the scenario a lot more and whether the defender could have thought he was going to stay in bounds.

RAM$

UDFA
HE WITH HORNS said:
The defenders should go right for the knees. Get out of bounds if you dont want to get hit.

I seen him do that in the cowboys game. He was high stepping on the border line, wasn't getting out of bounds.

Was seeing the same, when the Cowboy barely hit his head, he acted like he just got punched by Tyson. I will be rooting against his pansy ass for as long as he's in the NFL.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I couldn't stand it when Dallas got penalized for hitting RGIII when he went out of bounds. The guy tried to hit him while he was still in bounds. The refs need to get their heads out of their arses on that one. You're going to force defenders to pull up and then RGIII is going to do what he threatened to...fake going out of bounds and take off for 20 more yards. Personally...if you're going to penalize them for hitting him AS he's going out of bounds...you better give him unsportsmanlike conduct from that spot if he fakes going out of bounds.

It's really not fair any other way. If you don't plan on that and RGIII does do that, I'd say go after the injured knee every time he goes for the out of bounds line.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It's becoming apparent BobG3 isn't very smart.

This is a dumb thing to say out loud. Further proof he is full of himself.

I can't root for this guy. Rams picks at stake or not; I hope someone levels his ass.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
CGI_Ram said:
EastRam said:
His Nickname is RGME

I hadn't heard that before EastRam... but I like it! Fits!

I've been calling him that since he was drafted..No other boards seem to pick it up, weird. Maybe since his colors are showing it will stick :lol:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
EastRam said:
CGI_Ram said:
EastRam said:
His Nickname is RGME

I hadn't heard that before EastRam... but I like it! Fits!

I've been calling him that since he was drafted..No other boards seem to pick it up, weird. Maybe since his colors are showing it will stick :lol:

I'm gonna start using it.

I really dislike this guy now... from his wedding registry to his recovery "production" this guy is all about himself.

I guess the colorful socks were an indicator he was an attention whore.