Rob Ryan NOT Ram's DC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Personally, I'm relieved....I never did feel good about this selection, but like many of you, I went with the Fish. After all, Dallas is going with the 4-3 next year and frankly their excuses concerning the reasons for releasing Ryan were suspect (weak) to begin with. 9 years as a DC and nothing to show for it, hmm.

Now, I was momentarily shaken regarding Fisher's judgment, then again, no harm, no foul. In fact, I respect management that's willing to swallow hard and reconsider, even at the 11th hour.

Hopefully, their next selection is a winner.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I couldn't disagree more with anyone who said our DC by committee approach worked last year. It didn't. And promoting from within would be terrible imo.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
jrry32 said:
I couldn't disagree more with anyone who said our DC by committee approach worked last year. It didn't. And promoting from within would be terrible imo.
Okay then ... in what way(s) did it not work?

With the exception of Blake making some poor calls, the rest of the defense made strides in a new scheme with new players against top competition. It wasn't a flawless endeavor, but I fail to see how it didn't work.

X said:
jrry32 said:

With the exception of Blake making some poor calls, the rest of the defense made strides in a new scheme with new players against top competition. It wasn't a flawless endeavor, but I fail to see how it didn't work.

Yeah, curious!
The Rams led the NFL in Sacks with our DC committee approach.
That's quite an accomplishment for a team with no centralized DC figure. imo

With Ryan out, I really wonder who the DC will be. Has Williams signed on the dotted line for the Titans?!
I still think Fisher wants GWilliams and will mend fences to get him. Or I'm terribly wrong!! lol

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
X said:
jrry32 said:

One of my great passions in watching the game of football is admiring defensive schemes. Whether they're complex or simple, I love to look for things that make them effective. I like to look at how a DC adjusts and how the scheme meshes with the players on it.

Simply put, our scheming last year stunk. I'm surprised that we didn't get torn up more than we did...but I wasn't a bit surprised that when we played good or great QBs, they had elite days statistically.

We have one of the NFL's best DLs and pass rushes. How did we supplement that? We opted to play soft, off man coverage with physical corners. It was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. Every single week, I raged on the Rams GDTs about how dumb we were for playing so far off the WRs. QBs could throw short all day on us and we couldn't contest it. And they did. Then they mixed in a double move when we started to jump the short routes and burnt us deep. It was ugly.

Over the final few weeks of the season, we finally started to blitz more and play more press coverage. But we still played far too soft.

Simply put, based on their track records and last year, I don't trust a single person on this staff to work as DC. I'm not asking for us to hire the best DC in the NFL but I do want us to hire someone who can be more aggressive, put our players in better situations to succeed and scheme more effectively. We're going to need that if we want an elite defense.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
jrry32 said:
X said:
jrry32 said:

One of my great passions in watching the game of football is admiring defensive schemes. Whether they're complex or simple, I love to look for things that make them effective. I like to look at how a DC adjusts and how the scheme meshes with the players on it.

Simply put, our scheming last year stunk. I'm surprised that we didn't get torn up more than we did...but I wasn't a bit surprised that when we played good or great QBs, they had elite days statistically.

We have one of the NFL's best DLs and pass rushes. How did we supplement that? We opted to play soft, off man coverage with physical corners. It was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. Every single week, I raged on the Rams GDTs about how dumb we were for playing so far off the WRs. QBs could throw short all day on us and we couldn't contest it. And they did. Then they mixed in a double move when we started to jump the short routes and burnt us deep. It was ugly.

Over the final few weeks of the season, we finally started to blitz more and play more press coverage. But we still played far too soft.

Simply put, based on their track records and last year, I don't trust a single person on this staff to work as DC. I'm not asking for us to hire the best DC in the NFL but I do want us to hire someone who can be more aggressive, put our players in better situations to succeed and scheme more effectively. We're going to need that if we want an elite defense.
Yeah, that's all well and good, but it doesn't give me any clear indication that the defense, as a whole, didn't work last year. The scheming in games was put in place by Fisher/Williams with Williams making the calls while Fisher had a veto option. So Fisher signed off on most of that defense last year.

Playing off coverage was addressed by Fisher during the year. When you have two rookie corners who don't have a single memory of any receiver in the league, or any idea what their tendencies are, you want to keep the plays in front. Particularly if you have safeties who are basically a liability in coverage. Fisher's whole MO is to make opposing offenses be methodical in their drives and stall them on third downs. That's what they did with the exception of one game (NE).

To be clear, I'm not arguing against you here. It frustrated me as well to see those huge cushions being given up - even on third downs. But do either of us have the experience to say that what Fisher and his defense was doing ... was dumb? Do we really know what their limitations were with two rookie corners, a rookie DT, a new DT switching from 3-4 DE to 4-3 DT, and two new OLB's? I certainly wouldn't be that presumptuous. All things considered, I think they did a fine job against some pretty decent teams. It can get better, and will, but I wasn't expecting the world with all that new personnel in a new system. They actually (by far) exceeded my expectations.

nittany ram

Rookie
X said:
jrry32 said:
X said:
jrry32 said:

Yeah, that's all well and good, but it doesn't give me any clear indication that the defense, as a whole, didn't work last year. The scheming in games was put in place by Fisher/Williams with Williams making the calls while Fisher had a veto option. So Fisher signed off on most of that defense last year.

Playing off coverage was addressed by Fisher during the year. When you have two rookie corners who don't have a single memory of any receiver in the league, or any idea what their tendencies are, you want to keep the plays in front. Particularly if you have safeties who are basically a liability in coverage. Fisher's whole MO is to make opposing offenses be methodical in their drives and stall them on third downs. That's what they did with the exception of one game (NE).

To be clear, I'm not arguing against you here. It frustrated me as well to see those huge cushions being given up - even on third downs. But do either of us have the experience to say that what Fisher and his defense was doing ... was dumb? Do we really know what their limitations were with two rookie corners, a rookie DT, a new DT switching from 3-4 DE to 4-3 DT, and two new OLB's? I certainly wouldn't be that presumptuous. All things considered, I think they did a fine job against some pretty decent teams. It can get better, and will, but I wasn't expecting the world with all that new personnel in a new system. They actually (by far) exceeded my expectations.

Agreed, and with more experience and a FS that can cover, the corners will start pressing the receivers more. Those giant cushions will begin to shrink soon.

Vault 82

Rookie
I did not want to see us go to running the 3-4 full time, so if that's the issue, I'm okay with this.

F. Mulder

Starter
I don't think it was 3-4. I wonder if Ryan sought some additional leverage in the contract terms or in the power-sharing aspect with guys like McGinnis and Cecil et al?

Regarding DC candidates: Doubt Jaroun, Smith, or Romeo. I think Jerry Gray or some guy who a bunch of us say "who?????" (kind of like old Ram draft picks when they were selected-but I digress) some totally under the radar guy.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Couple of comments from Howard Balzer:

Unless the previous reports were totally wrong, I'm not buying the scheme fit angle. Must have been something else.

It is strange. On Jauron, he officially became available Monday but it was known he would be especially since his replacement was hired two weeks ago.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
F. Mulder said:
I don't think it was 3-4. I wonder if Ryan sought some additional leverage in the contract terms or in the power-sharing aspect with guys like McGinnis and Cecil et al?

Regarding DC candidates: Doubt Jaroun, Smith, or Romeo. I think Jerry Gray or some guy who a bunch of us say "who?????" (kind of like old Ram draft picks when they were selected-but I digress) some totally under the radar guy.

Nice. The early to mid 2000's, the who's-who-of-who?

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
Maybe Fisher has found someone more suitable ? Or maybe he realized he couldn't spend more than 25 minutes at a time with Ryan ? I have no problem with changing your mind if you feel you have made a wrong decision , we do it in life every day.

Glad Ryan not coming, I feel my pet fish would do a better job.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
My guess is that they proceed with someone that has knowledge of the system. Jauron and others sound good and all but in the end I think it has to be someone that has good knowledge of Fisher's system or directly with the 46. Everett Withers might be a name to consider. He's currently with Ohio St.

Ram_of_Old

An office mate told me and it is the best news I have had all day!

[espn]8893781[/espn]
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8893781" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8893781</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ram_of_Old

The Donut shops of St Louis will have to delay their massive hiring plans.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Totally laughable. I love it when those "in-the-know" pundits are proven wrong. I wasn't making any comment about good, bad, or indifferent on Ryan being the new D-Coordinator until I actually saw it as Official with the press conference, etc. At least it makes for good conversation during the off-season.

Am I still a possible candidate?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Why the Rams broke up with Rob Ryan

The St. Louis Rams announced Tuesday that Rob Ryan will not be their defensive coordinator in 2013. They’ve since turned their attention to former Browns defensive boss Dick Jauron.

So what happened between the Rams and Ryan?

ESPN’s Adam Schefter provided an explanation on NFL Live Tuesday. Per Schefter, Ryan and the Rams indeed reached an agreement on January 24. Ryan began attending team meetings, but Rams officials “felt uncomfortable” about Ryan’s fondness for a 3-4 defense. The Rams have been a 4-3 team.

Per Schefter, conflict over whether St. Louis would change schemes led the sides to ultimately “cancel the marriage” with Ryan.

You often hear football coaches say there’s no big difference between 4-3 and 3-4 defensive systems.

Rob Ryan and the Rams obviously feel differently

<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/29/why-the-rams-broke-up-with-rob-ryan/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -rob-ryan/</a>

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
If not being able to coach a 3-4 here kept him from getting the job that's pretty stupid on his behalf. lol The team tied leading the fucking league in sacks last year and is young as shit.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
jrry32 said:

Co-sign!

While the defense excelled with sacks...

We saw some issues, particularly early in the season, with end of game drives beating us.

We also saw these huge cushions by the CB's get beat over and over and over.

Besides; every unit needs a boss. A committee = no accountability.