Right out of Fisher's mouth Goff is ready

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
I hear what you are saying and agree he needs to be working his tail off preparing.

But in fairness; Goff might have already looked at the tablet photos and/or since he's on the sideline might be fully up to speed thru his headset. Keenum was playing and might have been catching up.

Point being; it's difficult to draw a conclusion off an observation from what we have access to on TV.

I absolutely agree you cannot draw a conclusion based on what you see on tv, it was just a small observation that I made, either way I think we all want the kid to play when he's ready, I just want him prepared so the angry mob doesn't kill him if he isn't perfect when he first gets in there finally

RamWoodie

Legend
I don't consider Goff a spread QB. And he certainly knows how to go through his progressions.

The only reason he's on the bench is to get some meat on him.
You may not consider him a spread QB but you're in denial because that's exactly what he was in college and it's a main reason he's not starting.

Check this out:

Here's another that should tell it's highly likely Goff is not gonna play except Keenum gets injured and he has to play:

Did you see those preseason stats on all 3 Ram QBs? Goff obviously needs work! Ram fans need to have patience where Goff is concerned. We don't need to compare Goff based on what Wentz is doing or any other rookie QBs. We should just wait...and when the coaching staff says Goff is ready they'll insert him.

We're going to see him get some time in real games this year. I'm not sure how soon that will be but I really look forward to it...but he's not ready to start at this point...and I believe that's obvious.

Last edited:

Bruce2980

Starter
I hear what you are saying and agree he needs to be working his tail off preparing.

But in fairness; Goff might have already looked at the tablet photos and/or since he's on the sideline might be fully up to speed thru his headset. Keenum was playing and might have been catching up.

Point being; it's difficult to draw a conclusion off an observation from what we have access to on TV.
Goff is the one that pointed out the problem to the coaching staff, had them take a look, and then they showed it to Keenum.:D

Bruce2980

Starter
You may not consider him a spread QB but you're in denial because that's exactly what he was in college and it's a main reason he's not starting.

Check this out:

Here's another that should tell it's highly likely Goff is not gonna play except Keenum gets injured and he has to play:

Did you see those preseason stats on all 3 Ram QBs? Goff obviously needs work! Ram fans need to have patience where Goff is concerned. We don't need to compare Goff based on what Wentz is doing or any other rookie QBs. We should just wait...and when the coaching staff says Goff is ready they'll insert him.

We're going to see him get some time in real games this year. I'm not sure how soon that will be but I really look forward to it...but he's not ready to start at this point...and I believe that's obvious.

Any validity that you may have had in this post is out the window when you used preseason stats to validate your opinion that "Goff obviously needs work!" His preseason stats are not comparable to Keenums do to the fact that Keenums stats were created with the # 1 unit on the field. Keenum also had more work with the # 1 unit from the get go. Your point would have more validity without those stats is my point. Yes, he obviously needs work, and so does Keenum, despite "His" 3-1 record, and so does Mannion. I don't see any NFL teams busting down the Rams doors offering first round picks for Keenum, or Mannion, oh but they did for Bradford.

RamWoodie

Legend
Any validity that you may have had in this post is out the window when you used preseason stats to validate your opinion that "Goff obviously needs work!" His preseason stats are not comparable to Keenums do to the fact that Keenums stats were created with the # 1 unit on the field. Keenum also had more work with the # 1 unit from the get go. Your point would have more validity without those stats is my point. Yes, he obviously needs work, and so does Keenum, despite "His" 3-1 record, and so does Mannion. I don't see any NFL team busting down the Rams doors offering first round picks for Keenum, or Mannion, oh but they did for Bradford.
You're pretty much invalidating your own argument! Here's why:

It's based on the "eyeball test" because stats can be misleading is that's all you have...BUT I saw every preseason game and I know for a fact Goff played with the #1 unit quite a bit (especially against KC). This isn't just me either...the overwhelming consensus is that Goff wasn't ready...and that came out of Fisher's mouth after preseason. It was Fisher who said Goff wasn't ready.

Lastly you and I both know in preseason NO TEAM is running their 1st unit completely because they're evaluating talent and they don't want their main guys getting injured.

Goff obviously needed work! Now we're into week 5...so he's had 4 weeks of reps, practice. and coaching...and I would guess he's leaps and bounds over where he was ending preseason.

I'm not against the guy at all...but I call it like I see it.

Bruce2980

Starter
You're pretty much invalidating your own argument! Here's why:

It's based on the "eyeball test" because stats can be misleading is that's all you have...BUT I saw every preseason game and I know for a fact Goff played with the #1 unit quite a bit (especially against KC). This isn't just me either...the overwhelming consensus is that Goff wasn't ready...and that came out of Fisher's mouth after preseason. It was Fisher who said Goff wasn't ready.

Lastly you and I both know in preseason NO TEAM is running their 1st unit completely because they're evaluating talent and they don't want their main guys getting injured.

Goff obviously needed work! Now we're into week 5...so he's had 4 weeks of reps, practice. and coaching...and I would guess he's leaps and bounds over where he was ending preseason.

I'm not against the guy at all...but I call it like I see it.
Actually I agreed with you that Goff obviously needs work, I made that clear when I wrote; "Yes, he (Goff) obviously needs work..." And pointing out that Keenum had more reps with the 1s than Goff and that Keenum had the 1s in during preseason is not invalidating anything! It's an observable fact that Keenum spent more time with the 1s in preseason than Goff did. Find one professional opinion that says otherwise, good luck with that.

RamWoodie

Legend
Actually I agreed with you that Goff obviously needs work, I made that clear when I wrote; "Yes, he (Goff) obviously needs work..." And pointing out that Keenum had more reps with the 1s than Goff and that Keenum had the 1s in during preseason is not invalidating anything! It's an observable fact that Keenum spent more time with the 1s in preseason than Goff did. Find one professional opinion that says otherwise, good luck with that.
I'm trying to figure out your point. Your first statement is this:
"Any validity that you may have had in this post is out the window when you used preseason stats to validate your opinion that "Goff obviously needs work!"

I make the statement that I SAW GOFF PLAY...therefore what I saw convinces me more than stats. It doesn't matter who he was on the field with...his play showed he wasn't ready.

Bruce2980

Starter
I'm trying to figure out your point. Your first statement is this:
"Any validity that you may have had in this post is out the window when you used preseason stats to validate your opinion that "Goff obviously needs work!"

I make the statement that I SAW GOFF PLAY...therefore what I saw convinces me more than stats. It doesn't matter who he was on the field with...his play showed he wasn't ready.
If I were reading a post for educational purposes I would reject the post as it seemed to be extremely biased by use of preseason stats. I think preseason stats are very misleading. How many receivers dropped very catchable throws form Goff in comparison to the other QBs? Did the defenses in those games play the same scheme against all three Rams QBs? Did the o-line protect Goff as well as it did the other QBs? I was simply stating that your point had "more" validity to it without using the stats as the stats are not a fair comparison, as everything was not equal, and it gives the perception of somebody with a strong bias, against Goff, that's all.;) It really wasn't a major point but I have read that point over and over and over. You may disagree, and like using those stats to support your point, but I don't, and I think that your point can be made without them. Sorry, I was just NITPICKING.:neener:
Goff is much better now, Fisher said he's ready to go.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
At this point, I'd be hard pressed to believe that Goff is learning anything on the bench from watching the inspired play of Keenum.

And, for the record, I still don't think you would call Goff a "spread" QB. (@RamWoodie) :fighting:

RamWoodie

Legend
At this point, I'd be hard pressed to believe that Goff is learning anything on the bench from watching the inspired play of Keenum.

And, for the record, I still don't think you would call Goff a "spread" QB. (@RamWoodie) :fighting:
Obviously you entitled to think Goff wasn't a spread QB...but that's exactly what he is...read it:

"IRVINE, Calif. — In the opening scene of Hard Knocks, Jared Goff takes a bumpy ride in the Goodyear blimp and mentions he’s not a fan of roller coasters, an ominous sign for a rookie quarterback that will likely face ups and downs when he finally takes over the starting job in Los Angeles. Not only is he supposed to be the face of the team in a new town, Goff faces a challenge that is becoming more common every year: the transition from a college spread offense to the pros.

After the Rams traded with the Titans for the No. 1 pick, they had their choice of Goff, who played in Sonny Dykes’s Bear Raid” spread offense at Cal, or Carson Wentz, a pro-style QB out of North Dakota State. They were comfortable with Goff, who threw for 4,714 yards, 43 TDs and 13 interceptions in his final college season.

“At this point, we know the issues we’re going to face with spread guys,” says Chris Weinke, the Rams’ quarterback coach. “Goff didn’t call plays in a huddle in college or go under center. You gotta have baby steps with him to teach him the things pro quarterbacks need to do. It’s a lot. Goff’s out early every day working hard on those things."