Richard Sherman: "The league isn't fun anymore"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ague-fun-anymore-criticizes-nfl-roger-goodell

Seahawks' Richard Sherman: NFL not allowing players to entertain
Sheil Kapadia/ESPN Writer

i

Mark J. Rebilas/USA TODAY Sports

RENTON, Wash. -- Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman was asked Thursday if he had a theory about why the NFL is experiencing declining TV ratings.

"Because the league isn't fun anymore," Sherman said. "Every other league, you see the players have a good time. It's a game. This isn't politics. This isn't justice. This is entertainment. And they're no longer allowing the players to entertain. They're no longer allowing the players to show any kind of personality, any kind of uniqueness, any individuality. Because they want to control the product. They want to control the messaging, etc., etc.

"They say we're trying to influence kids, and that's their biggest thing. That's their biggest ploy is you don't want to be a bad influence to kids. You don't want to be a bad role model. And I can agree with that. But in the same breath, you can't say Budweiser is the official sponsor of the NFL, and we're trying to influence kids. So there's a ton of hypocrisy, but it doesn't matter because we don't control it."

Sherman once again took aim at commissioner Roger Goodell and his role in making the game less fun. Sherman said the league has not reached out to him in the past when he has criticized Goodell, but the cornerback has heard from his peers.

"More just players understanding that it's the truth and applauding me and saying they wouldn't have said it, but they respect that I said it," Sherman said. "... It's the truth. He hasn't done a great job, and it's obvious. For us to say he hasn't done a great job is beating a dead horse honestly."

Sherman has sounded off multiple times this season on the difficulty of playing defense, given the league's current set of rules.

On the topic of protecting quarterbacks, Sherman said the NFL's stance has nothing to do with player safety.

"No, I don't buy it," he said. "That's for public perception. They don't care about player safety. I've said that several times. But they do care about paying the quarterback $20 million and him missing a season. They do care about that.

"So whether they say player safety or whatever it is, they're tired of $20 million quarterbacks sitting on the bench or IR for the whole season, so they're going to do whatever they can to protect their investments, and that's universal."

Q729

Legend
Yeah. Tired of your 20 million dollar investment wasting away on the IR? Don't pay him that much to begin with.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Maybe Dick Sherman should talk to his team's owner about it, considering he influence's Rodger's decisions.

Or maybe he can just shut up and stop being hypocritical, considering the league runs with his team's whole "Legion of Boom" bullshit.

JackStraw

Rookie
I agree with him. I want the Rams to be able to Bob n Weave again. I want live uncensored mics on players to be aired on some alternative media. I want the taunting/foul language penalties thrown away. I even want the throat slash to be okay again.

Let them cater to the needs of the degenerate, typical blue collar NFL fans and maybe the blue collar fans will start showing up more.

This is coming from a guy that that isn't a father and one of the previous mentioned blue collar degenerate fans, if that means anything.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I agree with Sherman, but for different reasons. Personally, I'm sick of seeing the same ole teams in the dance and seeing preferential treatment given to certain teams/players. Then again, some of this could stem from not seeing our boys in the playoffs for a long time now.:unsure:

Just look at this past world series, two teams who haven't won it all in a LONG time. That series was said to have hit ratings that haven't been hit in a long time.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I agree with him completely. The most fun I've ever had watching football(aside from Rams payoff football) are the days of Chad Johnson and Terrell Owens having fun with TD celebrations. Players coming up with new celebrations. Enjoying the game. They've sucked all the fun out of the game. What does a harmless TD celebration do to the watching children, aside from showing them it's ok to have a personality? That you should do what your told, and you can't have fun? Give me a break, NFL. Give me a break.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
What does a harmless TD celebration do to the watching children, aside from showing them it's ok to have a personality?
It means you're a meanie if you celebrate in front of someone else.
We can't have any hurt feelings in the world anymore.
Must protect everyone's sensibilities.

middle-finger-gif.gif

RamzFanz

Damnit
I don't understand why former and current players don't get together and start buying up the teams.

I think you can get the Browns for like $10.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
For me, bad officiating takes more fun out of it than anything. Have 2 extra refs at the line if need be but it's just gotten so bad with Donald and to the point where all the holds that ride quinn to the ground have injured him seriously. Robert is a league star and a huge difference maker in what this team can do and it pains me to constantly see tackles getting away with the shit they do.

They should ease up on celebrations too. Although players where getting a tad over the top--Joe horn pulling out his hidden cell phone comes to mind. I know, as long as the refs think the celebration is entertaining, no flag, but any tired or ridiculous performance draws the penalty.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
For me, bad officiating takes more fun out of it than anything. Have 2 extra refs at the line if need be but it's just gotten so bad with Donald and to the point where all the holds that ride quinn to the ground have injured him seriously. Robert is a league star and a huge difference maker in what this team can do and it pains me to constantly see tackles getting away with the crap they do.

They should ease up on celebrations too. Although players where getting a tad over the top--Joe horn pulling out his hidden cell phone comes to mind. I know, as long as the refs think the celebration is entertaining, no flag, but any tired or ridiculous performance draws the penalty.

It pisses me off to watch Quinn get held and tackled on almost every play, but if a Rams OL is close to a defensive player that falls to the ground they get flagged for holding. GRob gets more bs calls for holding just because he has the strength to push DL to the ground, yet RQ has guys arms wrapped around his neck and there is no call.

Sherman is right that the league doesnt give a shit about player safety, unless that player is a Tom Brady or other high profile player. Some QBs get brushed and it is called roughing the passer, yet other QBs get hit helmet to helmet and there is no flag. IMO the league should fine officials for missed calls and inconsistant rule inforcement, and the fines should be made public just as player fines are. If officials knew that they would be punished for favoring certain teams or players and not enforcing the rules the same for both teams they would be less likely to let obvious penalties go uncalled and be less likely to call questionable penalties knowing that they must call the game the same for both teams.

JackStraw

Rookie
I agree with him completely. The most fun I've ever had watching football(aside from Rams payoff football) are the days of Chad Johnson and Terrell Owens having fun with TD celebrations. Players coming up with new celebrations. Enjoying the game. They've sucked all the fun out of the game. What does a harmless TD celebration do to the watching children, aside from showing them it's ok to have a personality? That you should do what your told, and you can't have fun? Give me a break, NFL. Give me a break.
The celebrations were fun - TO running to the Dallas star twice in the same game(and the hit he took for it) was my favorite. But what I miss most in helmet to helmet collisions. I realize the rules needed to be taken care of but god damn was it good for the highlight reel. It allowed hard hitting DBs to enforce their will. Imagine the hits our squad would lay down with circa 2007 rules?

I think Fisher might be stuck in that era because guys like TJ and Mo were clearly drafted for their ability to crush bones. At least we won one game thanks to TJ's hunger to inflict pain - his rookie year when he blew Mike Evan's fuse resulting in 10 second runoff in 19-17 W, leaving Tampa stranded in FG range. But in the long run these physical safeties are useless with our zone coverage falling flat. It's not too late for progress but I fear our hard hitters will continue to be a burden, over pursuing just for a taste of a devastating lick.

The only thing I miss about ESPN NFL coverage is the 'you got JACKED UP' segment they'd play before MNF years ago and I actually miss NFL Primetime(1999-2005).There was no Sunday Ticket, so I counted on highlights to narrate every game's storyline. The program actually did a great job sequencing the highlights The on-field celebrations were actually embraced. The excellent NFL films music made it possible to block out Berman's insufferable BS

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I am fed up with the game stoppages. Penalties upon penalties. Nuking every effing play with reviews to make sure things are perfect. Commercial, TD, commercial, extra point, commercial, kickoff, commercial. More and more rules every year for the refs they won't pay appropriately to balance in real time.

Load up old games and watch the difference. Today's product sucks in comparison IMO, with the exception of the first down line.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh and Sherman can suck it. Just because.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not going to watch any non-Rams games from the past
Should I start with the Linehan or Spags era?

That all you got?

Many here go back a lot further. Try one of those brother.

JackStraw

Rookie
That all you got?

Many here go back a lot further. Try one of those brother.
My light hearted point was i'd rather watch modern day NFL, warts and all, then revisit the tragedies of a post Mike Martz world. Rams clearly couldn't figure it out during the beginning of the end of the NFL as we know it. Maybe all the awful changes will benefit us. Kronke is a pretty powerful guy, right?

Instead of suggesting you stop watching if you don't like it anymore I hope you find more holes in the current system and schedule a meeting with Goodell and all the advertising executives. It's going to be a revolution and I want in :fuelfire:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
With tv time outs and the New Goodell NFL World Order of instant replay and dissecting every other play after the whistle blows for stuff like...
"Was there intent to decapitate?"
"Was the knee down?"
"Is it a catch?"
"Which part of his knee was down?"
"Was the player a runner or a passer?"
"Was it a celebration or a taunt?"
"Was the ball attached to his thorax?"
"Did he horse collar him or tackle him from behind?"
"Did the receiver block the DB or pick him?"
"Did the defender make an effort to defy gravity to avoid the hit?"
Blah blah blah.

There is zero rhythm to these NFL games anymore. WAY too much emphasis and discussion by commentators and fans(and some of the players) on the calls and/or no calls. The referees and all these new rules have taken over the game. Every friggin play we get "Was it this or that?"

The old NFL was better.
Big hit. No catch. Next play.
Incomplete pass. Next play.
Fumble. Next play.
TD! Celebrate. Next play.

Now we get flags flying left and right all game long with 18 different camera angles followed by analysis paralysis with some football sprinkled in between.