Reynolds Wows ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Rams receiver Josh Reynolds steals the spotlight in return from injury
Gary KleinContact Reporter
August 15, 2017 7:55 PM

He hauled in passes on deep routes, won contested end zone balls for touchdowns, and wowed defenders and coaches alike with sideline grabs and receptions over the middle.

It wasn’t new Rams receiver Sammy Watkins putting on a show Tuesday.

It was rookie Josh Reynolds.

The fourth-round pick from Texas A&M had been sidelined for nearly two weeks because of a quadriceps injury. But he put that behind and made a variety of acrobatic catches throughout a full-pads workout.

“I’m tough on myself, so all that stuff is expected,” said Reynolds, the Rams’ tallest receiver at 6 feet 3 inches. “Even the passes I did catch, there’s still stuff to work on.”

Reynolds was drafted a round after the Rams chose receiver Cooper Kupp, who is on track to start as a slot receiver.

The rangy Reynolds was regarded as a possible deep threat.

“I think I’m showing I’m much more versatile than just jump balls and being a deep-ball kind of guy,” he said. “I’m just trying to elevate my game.

“The game changes every year. There’s better guys, more athletic guys. I’m just trying to keep up with the trend and get better every day.”

Robert Woods and Tavon Austin, who remains sidelined because of a hamstring injury.

Reynolds recalled watching Woods and Watkins when they were playing in college at USC and Clemson, respectively.

“Being able to come out and play with these guys and learn what they have and what they’ve been through all these years in the league is a great opportunity for me,” Reynolds said.

After mostly watching and participating only in individual drills Monday, Watkins took part in team drills but still appeared to be acclimating to the offense.

The fourth-year pro, acquired in a trade with the Buffalo Bills on Friday, has been studying the playbook nearly around the clock when he is not on the field, Yarber said.

Neither Watkins nor Reynolds played in last week’s preseason victory over the Dallas Cowboys.

McVay said both would play Saturday against the Oakland Raiders.

“Standing on the sideline last Saturday was not a good feeling,” Reynolds said, “So I’m extremely excited.”

Picked off

A day after he had three passes intercepted, quarterback Jared Goff had two more picked off.

Safety Cody Davis got one, and rookie John Johnson, who was playing nickel cornerback, the other.

Goff also had several notable completions.

McVay said interceptions were an “occupational hazard” for quarterbacks.

“What separates the good ones from the great ones is really their ability to respond,” McVay said. “The one thing you do appreciate about him, appreciate about Jared, is that when mistakes occur you don’t sense that he’s fazed by it, he’s able to take it for what it is and then try to correct it moving forward.”

Etc.

Cornerbacks Dominique Hatfield and Aarion Penton intercepted passes by backup quarterback Sean Mannion…. Running back Aaron Greenparticipated in practice. Green had hand surgery last week, McVay said…. Cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman and rookie linebacker Ejuan Price were among players held out of practice.

Last edited:

Psycho_X

Legend
We have the makings of an actual strong WR group for the first time in a decade. Practice means nothing come week 1 but got to be encouraged by this group. Especially now that we have a seasoned pro such as Watkins who can take some pressure off needing too much from the rookies this year. Tavon will need to play up to his contract this year if he wants to remain beyond 2017 I think... but competition is never a bad thing.

RamsCardsJazz

Starter
We have the makings of an actual strong WR group for the first time in a decade. Practice means nothing come week 1 but got to be encouraged by this group. Especially now that we have a seasoned pro such as Watkins who can take some pressure off needing too much from the rookies this year. Tavon will need to play up to his contract this year if he wants to remain beyond 2017 I think... but competition is never a bad thing.

I agree with this. I just hope Goff can turn the corner because if not, it will not matter who we have at WR.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Who would have thought that WR and CB/S is where all our depth would be on this team at the start of training camp? Boy, wish we just had more depth at OL.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Let's revisit the possible WR roster now that Reynolds has showed. I never thought he would be cut, but I think it's fair to say that he was drafted to do the things the previous regime wanted from Thomas.

First 6?:
Watkins--duh!
Woods--inked to a 5 yr deal
Kupp--real deal, he's not going anywhere.
Austin--$11mil already paid out and he deserves a shot in a real offense.
Cooper--STs and versatility.
Reynolds--again, he was drafted to stretch the field. Big, fast, and goes up for the ball.

That's 6 w/ Thomas suspended.
Does anybody see it differently?

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I would hate to be McVay when it's time to make cuts for this group. You can make a case for any of them.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Let's revisit the possible WR roster now that Reynolds has showed. I never thought he would be cut, but I think it's fair to say that he was drafted to do the things the previous regime wanted from Thomas.

First 6?:
Watkins--duh!
Reynolds--again, he was drafted to stretch the field. Big, fast, and goes up for the ball.

That's pretty much it. PC is also the team's KR, so yeah.

Ram65

Legend

First 6?:
Watkins--duh!

It interesting dynamics with the final spots at WR. Now, that Watkins is a Rams things could be different. I'v been thinking Thomas and Reynolds are very similar with Reynolds getting the edge because he is tall/as fast or faster and a better ball hawk. So I like your picks here.

Cooper looked quick off the line running his routes in week one and make the catches. However, Reynolds showed off yesterday while Thomas showed off early in camp. After the suspension maybe they keep Thomas over Cooper.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Who would have thought that WR and CB/S is where all our depth would be on this team at the start of training camp? Boy, wish we just had more depth at OL.

I really do think that we could have one of the strongest WR groups in the whole league and I'm not just being a homer.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I think Spruce and Coop are gone, although I wish it was Austin. I like Thomas, but the suspension hampers him. I also hope we can stash #12 on the PS. He would be a perfect replacement for returning duties from Austin next year.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really do think that we could have one of the strongest WR groups in the whole league and I'm not just being a homer.
giphy.gif

Psycho_X

Legend

First 6?:
Watkins--duh!

Agreed, there certainly isn't much room unless they decide to keep 7 which, who knows how McVay will think. I like Spruce a lot but I'm not sure what he brings that Kupp and Cooper don't already bring to the table. And you can't cut a deep/end zone threat like Reynolds to make room for a player we already have better versions of. Maybe he can be stashed on the PS but I doubt it.

I'd say that last spot is between Cooper and Spruce at the very least. Unless, like I said, they decide to keep 7 but 2 of those 7 would need to be heavy special teams performers. It'll all depend on how many FB/TEs we keep really... because we certainly don't have depth at OL to justify extra spots there unfortunately. Of course, all it takes is one injury in the next two weeks to change everything.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Yeah....I have too....Mike Thomas is my avatar.....:ROFLMAO::cool::rolllaugh:

Lol. No problem, man.

So when Thomas returns, do we just carry 7 and cut somebody from another position, or do you think one of the WRs gets the axe?

Of course, this being the NFL, an injury could make this decision easier.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am really excited to see Reynolds in a game soon. There is potential there, so this is exciting to hear.

WestCoastRam

Legend
That last spot seems like Reynolds to win. I could see a scenario where Thomas sh*ts the bed the remainder of PS and a WR at the bottom of the roster performs really well on ST and he gets cut after his four game suspension or even before it.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That last spot seems like Reynolds to win. I could see a scenario where Thomas sh*ts the bed the remainder of PS and a WR at the bottom of the roster performs really well on ST and he gets cut after his four game suspension or even before it.
Nah, Reynolds was making the team the minute they drafted him in the 4th round.
Thomas wont be on the final 53 even if he was the best WR on the team, he doesnt count until week #5.