Redskins evidently also desperate

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I disagree with everyone who thinks Cousins is not an upgrade over Case Keenum that's just ludicrous IMO, however, the Rams are in no position to deal an offensive lineman especially with durability issues concerning Jake Long and Rodger Saffold.

jjab360

Legend
I disagree with everyone who thinks Cousins is not an upgrade over Case Keenum that's just ludicrous IMO
Why? Because one guy gets media hype and the other one doesn't? It's not even close who the better QB was last season, just look at the stats.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I disagree with everyone who thinks Cousins is not an upgrade over Case Keenum that's just ludicrous IMO, however, the Rams are in no position to deal an offensive lineman especially with durability issues concerning Jake Long and Rodger Saffold.

Dues Ludacris play QB

Alan

Legend
den-the-coach not liking Cousins:
I disagree with everyone who thinks Cousins is not an upgrade over Case Keenum that's just ludicrous IMO, however, the Rams are in no position to deal an offensive lineman especially with durability issues with Jake Long and Rodger Saffold.
While I don't want Cousins, I'm not sure how you could say he isn't an upgrade over Keenum. Cousins is a back up for RGme (and should probably be their starter) and Keenum couldn't even make his team as a third stringer. The team that knows the most about Cousins abilities would be the Skins and they obviously don't think Keenum is better. So my question to you den is why do you think Cousins isn't an upgrade? I wouldn't think it has anything to do with their stats because the sample size is so ridiculously small that they're meaningless. Keenum couldn't make a team that had weapons and an O-line and Cousins has done OK on a team without either of those. So what's your reasoning on this?

EDIT: Thordaddy wrote: "I think den thinks Cousins IS better Al"

Well that would make perfect sense then. :LOL: See how missing just one word changes your whole life?

EDIT 2: Nap time. LOL!

Last edited:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
While I don't want Cousins, I'm not sure how you could say he isn't an upgrade over Keenum. Cousins is a back up for RGme (and should probably be their starter) and Keenum couldn't even make his team as a third stringer. The team that knows the most about Cousins abilities would be the Skins and they obviously don't think Keenum is better. So my question to you den is why do you think Cousins isn't an upgrade? I wouldn't think it has anything to do with their stats because the sample size is so ridiculously small that they're meaningless. Keenum couldn't make a team that had weapons and an O-line and Cousins has done OK on a team without either of those. So what's your reasoning on this?
I think den thinks Cousins IS better Al

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Considering it's highly unlikely we succeed this year in any meaningful way, if we can get a young experienced starter-level qb in exchange for a journeyman tackle, I'd say do the trade before the Redskins change their minds...
starter level QB? journeyman tackle? that starter level QB hasn't proven he can start or he would've been snatched up already. And Barksdale is our most consistent and healthy lineman we have and had top RT numbers last year. No way

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Why? Because one guy gets media hype and the other one doesn't? It's not even close who the better QB was last season, just look at the stats.

There are lies, damn lies and statistics sorry Keenum does not pass the eye test. Plus I watched Cousins plenty before last season and it's my opinion he would be a far better option and I am willing to bet that if you consulted with most scouts they would agree too.

Keenum is very small and not just in height plus he can't make all the throws. I understand that Cousins gets over hyped because he plays for that team in Washington, however, if the Rams could trade Keenum for Cousins they would do it a New York minute so IMO just watch them play!

Believe me I would like nothing better than Case Keenum to turn into Joe Pendleton, however, there is a reason Bill O'Brien never gave the kid a chance and O'Brien is a far better judge in quarterback talent than any Ram coach they currently have on the staff.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There are lies, damn lies and statistics sorry Keenum does not pass the eye test. Plus I watched Cousins plenty before last season and it's my opinion he would be a far better option and I am willing to bet that if you consulted with most scouts they would agree too.

Keenum is very small and not just in height plus he can't make all the throws. I understand that Cousins gets over hyped because he plays for that team in Washington, however, if the Rams could trade Keenum for Cousins they would do it a New York minute so IMO just watch them play!

Believe me I would like nothing better than Case Keenum to turn into Joe Pendleton, however, there is a reason Bill O'Brien never gave the kid a chance and O'Brien is a far better judge in quarterback talent than any Ram coach they currently have on the staff.

Cousins doesn't pass the eye test either.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Cousins doesn't pass the eye test either.

I disagree and IMO he's better than any QB on the Ram roster right now and that's not posting much! In the end, it's not going to matter, but are you communicating to me sir you don't think Cousins is an upgrade over any on the roster currently?

jjab360

Legend

I have seen both of them play. Neither one is going to be a long term starter, so I don't get why everyone's pining over Cousins aka the next Matt Flynn, Kevin Kolb, A.J. Feeley. He doesn't have any major physical advantages over Keenum, so I don't see where that's coming from. He also doesn't push the ball down the field as well and isn't as mobile. He does execute long drives better because he doesn't make as many mistakes, but ultimately the difference is negligible and not nearly enough for us to give up anything to get Cousins when we already have Keenum. Everything else just sounds like a case of "the grass is always greener" to me..

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I have seen both of them play. Neither one is going to be a long term starter, so I don't get why everyone's pining over Cousins aka the next Matt Flynn, Kevin Kolb, A.J. Feeley. He doesn't have any major physical advantages over Keenum, so I don't see where that's coming from. He also doesn't push the ball down the field as well and isn't as mobile. He does execute long drives better because he doesn't make as many mistakes, but ultimately the difference is negligible and not nearly enough for us to give up anything to get Cousins when we already have Keenum. Everything else just sounds like a case of "the grass is always greener" to me..

Great points I guess IMO Cousins is taller than Keenum and IMO has better arm strength. Plus he was a 4th round pick as to an UDRFA in Keenum and although that does not always mean much, IMO, it does have to factor in the equitation.

The set of circumstances was not the greatest for Cousins last season either and IMO if he was given a chance to be the number one guy I think he has far more upside than any Ram QB currently on the roster. With that being posted it's the current Michigan State Quarterback that I want donning horns in 2015!

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cousins has size and arm strength over Keenum. Is it enough size and strength to give up Barksdale for? No. Quite honestly I've never seen anything from either Keenum or Cousins to make me think they are better than Shaun Hill.

jjab360

Legend
Great points I guess IMO Cousins is taller than Keenum and IMO has better arm strength. Plus he was a 4th round pick as to an UDRFA in Keenum and although that does not always mean much, IMO, it does have to factor in the equitation.

The set of circumstances was not the greatest for Cousins last season either and IMO if he was given a chance to be the number one guy I think he has far more upside than any Ram QB currently on the roster. With that being posted it's the current Michigan State Quarterback that I want donning horns in 2015!
I really think you're overrating Cousins, den. Cook as well, there's just nothing about him that says future NFL starter to me.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I Cook as well, there's just nothing about him that says future NFL starter to me.

Let's start with Big, Strong and Smart plus his quick release Cook will be playing on Sunday's, I guess we will agree to disagree on him sir with all due respect!

wrstdude

Rookie
Do you want Cousins longer than a rental? If no, then what's the point? And, as was already pointed out, he wouldn't even be able to play until after the bye because he has to try and learn the offense.

QB won't be addressed until the offseason if Snead is smart.

jjab360

Legend
Let's start with Big, Strong and Smart plus his quick release Cook will be playing on Sunday's, I guess we will agree to disagree on him sir with all due respect!
Big and strong for a college QB, average at both for the next level. Inconsistent accuracy, seems skittish in the pocket, and his lower body mechanics bother me. Ultimately, I just don't see anything that separates him from the rest of the pack.

Keenum couldn't make a team that had weapons and an O-line and Cousins has done OK on a team without either of those.

I know not many people put any stock into PFF, but it's still an objective ranking of OLs without watching every game:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/13/2013-offensive-line-rankings/3/
16. Houston Texans (10th)PB: 27th, RB: 8th, PEN: 21st

Stud: He wasn’t as good as last year, but left tackle Duane Brown (+14.6) still had a useful year. We expect an athlete like him to do a little more in the run game.

Dud: It’s hard to imagine Bill O’Brien sticking with Derek Newton (-24.3). If you could give him a pass last year, then this year there were no excuses.

Analysis: A line that has talent but didn’t always live up to it. Wade Smith remains a player not matching the high expectations he created in his first year, while the right tackle spot is just a mess at this point. The good news is Brandon Brooks is coming along nicely, but you do wonder if a change in offensive schemes might leave some players out of place.

5. Washington Redskins (16th)PB: 4th, RB: 10th, PEN: 3rd

Stud: An All-Pro-(or at least second team)-like performance from Trent Williams (+38.3). He has moments that make you smack your head, but by and large he’ll slow down elite pass rushers and has the kind of athleticism that generates movement whatever scheme you’re running.

Dud: Too many bad days for Chris Chester (-5.5) who continues to baffle with his streaky play.

Analysis: This ranking won’t please many Redskins fans who see the line as the root of their problems. The truth is the Shanahans had the zone blocking scheme working perfectly with huge cutback lanes regularly there for their backs to work with. Much is made of the hits Robert Griffin III took as if every single one of them must be the responsibility of the line. Well we charged RGIII himself with 10 of those sacks (more than any other player on the team) as the team gave whoever was quarterback ample time to get the job done. The big question now is what Jay Gruden intends for this line and whether he’ll move to a more power based scheme that could put a number of jobs on the line.

And whilst not really in Andre Johnson's league I'd have a hard time finding someone who doesn't think 113 reception, 1346 yards and 5 TDs contributed by Pierre Garcon falls under the definition of "weapon" and you'll be hard pushed to find anyone who thinks Ben Taint is a better RB than Alfred Morris.

fearsomefour

Legend

"I aced the eye test."
Ryan Leaf

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Kirk Cousins the most overrated player in the league.

I'm really inclined to believe this. The Redskins should've dealt him by now. If they think they're getting anything of significance for him at this point they're kidding themselves.

Barksdale v. Cousins.

One of these players has played like one of the better starters at their position when given the chance. It's not Cousins.