Reasons for WR at 19

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MachS

Hall of Fame
  1. The depth at WR in this year's draft is astronomical. At 19 a game changing WR1 will be available.
  2. High probability Kupp never returns to old form. Puka was clear #1 last year even with Kupp back. If Puka goes down we're toast.
  3. Maintaining a high level offense should be priority over defense. Both super bowl years our offense was among the best in the league.
  4. Gives McVay a new toy and keeps him engaged, excited, and a potential top offense of the league.
  5. Plenty of Edge & CBs available in rounds 2-3 or FA

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Even higher on the list - possibly the number one reason:

We have two WRs under contract after 2024 and the draft is for the future

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
I like your thinking. Whoever we pick first should probably be a player who will start and be a difference maker. However, I see the logic of drafting a QB WR or even LT for the future

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
It would not surprise me at all if the Rams were to take a WR with any of their first four picks (Rounds 1-3).

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
It wouldn't surprise me but in my opinion there's a good chance there will be a better prospect at 19. It's an incredible wr class but I see only 3 game changers that will be gone by the time we pick. The other WRs come with question marks. I'm hoping one of the top Edges, CBs, or OLs fall to us.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If they address corner and edge adequately then I certainly agree. AD Mitchell and Brian Thomas Jr are the two likely guys. Absolute studs. This is one of the deepest receiver groups I can remember. They'll be guys all the way to round 4-5 that I like.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Conventional thinking seems to be that if a draft is deep at a certain position, then teams think it’s best to pick what you need most first, because you can get a good (receiver) later with all of the depth.

I don’t understand this line of thinking. I’d still go BPA which is likely going to be a player from one the deeper positions. So this year, it’s likely that receiver or OLT will be the best value at 19.

I would be fine with a good receiver from round one.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Conventional thinking seems to be that if a draft is deep at a certain position, then teams think it’s best to pick what you need most first, because you can get a good (receiver) later with all of the depth.

I don’t understand this line of thinking. I’d still go BPA which is likely going to be a player from one the deeper positions. So this year, it’s likely that receiver or OLT will be the best value at 19.

I would be fine with a good receiver from round one.
Add to that the Rams rarely follow conventional thinking

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I liked Brian Thomas Jr. from the outset and felt he would be a game changer. 6'4 4.33 in the 40, IMHO WR Coach Eric Yarber could make him one of the elite WR's in the NFL.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I liked Brian Thomas Jr. from the outset and felt he would be a game changer. 6'4 4.33 in the 40, IMHO WR Coach Eric Yarber could make him one of the elite WR's in the NFL.

I like him too. Also really like both Roman Wilson and Ladd McConkey if they were available in the 2nd round. Their route running, separation and hands seem like an ideal fit for McVay. Both ran well at the combine but Wilson, in particular, looks like he can get deep.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I like Thomas too, if the stay at 19 or even better, trade back a little in round 1.
I like him too. Also really like both Roman Wilson and Ladd McConkey if they were available in the 2nd round. Their route running, separation and hands seem like an ideal fit for McVay. Both ran well at the combine but Wilson, in particular, looks like he can get deep.
McConkey gets great separation. Wilson is a very good blocker, as well as a good receiver. Both are 6’. I wonder if they’d want to try to get a taller deep threat.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I think you should remove that second sentence from point #3. The year we won, Kupp had a historic year but we had no receiver depth, Stafford lead the league in INTs, and we couldn't run the ball. Both wins against the 9ers and Bengals were not high scoring. Donald, Von Miller, Ashawn Robinson went HAM until the offense mustered together a comeback drive.

Against the Pats, our defense held them to 3 pts until about the second half of the 4th quarter. That's outstanding.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Yeah, he won't get passed Jacksonville.
Really starting to feel like all the OT's and WRs are actually gonna push another CB or pass rusher to us. I used to think Verse would be gone before us but now not so sure and Laitu will most likely be there. There will at least be the 3rd best CB available and an outside shot the the 2nd best will be there for us.

Memphis Ram

Legend
If the Rams believe that a WR is clearly the BPA I'm all for it.

But the argument against such a move would be the depth of this WR draft class and the recent success of 5th rounder Puka Nacua.

KA210927

Rookie
Name
Kevin
I agree I think the Rams should consider adding an Offensive weapon in round 1 but I’d rather them trade up a bit and target TE Bowers. Imagine the Rams having a top 5 TE for the next 10 years.

MachS

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Really starting to feel like all the OT's and WRs are actually gonna push another CB or pass rusher to us. I used to think Verse would be gone before us but now not so sure and Laitu will most likely be there. There will at least be the 3rd best CB available and an outside shot the the 2nd best will be there for us.
I think there will be a stud CB or Edge available at 19..which will make the decision tougher no doubt. But all thing considered I still think offensive weapon is the right call after 8 years of no 1st rounders.