RB Malcom Brown returns ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jap

Legend
Yeah, good question.

Michel didn’t EVER seem to be a McVay guy. I wonder what it was?
Sony doesn't catch the rock very well. The Leprechaun wants as many ball catchers as he can legally field for any given play.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I have to imagine that some team's going to pick up Thomas, and while it sucks to see Ragas cut, Brown's probably better at this stage of his career.

Good luck to everyone involved.
They are definitely focusing everything on this yr. They see the window is wide open in the NFC and while waiving Thomas for McKinley might hurt down the road, they see McKinley as being more helpful this yr...and it's all about this yr.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I seem to recall most were against the idea of re-signing Michel because the thought was that he would cost too much $$ (early estimates were in the 3-5 mill per range)
The prevailing thought IIRC was that RB's could be picked up late in the draft
Of course I didnt agree with that and had to suck it up when they drafted Kyren
Now had the Rams known he was going to be available for just about league minimum? I think he would have been re-signed

As for Brown? I'd be surprised if he gets off the PS but we'll see
It reminds me of Saffold leaving. He got much less than expected and at the time the Rams could have used him. They still had the cap space to sign him. I think what @jap said has something to do with it.

At least Henderson is running hard and falling forward. I just worry he won't hold up. Brown runs hard but has also gotten beat up with his style of play.

I would have signed Sony..

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I honestly think they would have if they could have made the dollars work for Michel. There wasn’t a lot of fat in the salary cap bucket
Plus your 3rd string RB should be able to play STs.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It reminds me of Saffold leaving. He got much less than expected and at the time the Rams could have used him. They still had the cap space to sign him. I think what @jap said has something to do with it.

At least Henderson is running hard and falling forward. I just worry he won't hold up. Brown runs hard but has also gotten beat up with his style of play.

I would have signed Sony..

Are you sure? I thought they decided to sign fowler for $16m for the year and play the comp pick game.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
let’s bring back Brian Leonard to play RB. And get Madison Hedgecock to play FB
Hedgecock should have never been cut, but Leonard was fool's gold at Rutgers and the Milquetoast Linehan regime loved players like that. Brian Leonard, Drew Bennett & Joe Klopfenstein just to post a few.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
Hedgecock should have never been cut, but Leonard was fool's gold at Rutgers and the Milquetoast Linehan regime loved players like that. Brian Leonard, Drew Bennett & Joe Klopfenstein just to post a few.
Yeah - we took Carriker that year over Darrelle Revis and Brian Leonard over Ryan Kalil… I would think that 2007 would rank as one of the worst drafts in franchise history.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Let's hope that RB Brown can do about 75% of what he used to do when Gurley was ailing/ giving Gurley a breather.

He is a bit of a bigger back that we have not had as of late, who usually fought for the extra yard.

I do think that by the end of this season McVay will have to have this running game in peak form going into the playoffs to be close to competitive.

Right now with:

#1- Cam Akers frailing about looking like his NFL career is trending downward very fast.
#2- Jake Funk is nothing more than an empty Ram uni when on the field.
#3- Kyren Williams has thus far, done a great impression of Mr.Glass his rookie season.

Malcolm Brown looks like a great move!:thumbsup1:

I really do believe that Cam Akers is a very big concern for McVay/Sneed @ this point in his 3rd season.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I thought anyone poached from PS is signed to that team's 53 by rule?
Yes but Thomas was not poached. He was released by the Rams to open-up a spot on the 53 for one of the recent additions (McKinley, Aboushi, Jolly and Blanton). If he passes through waivers, the Rams could offer him a spot on their Practice Squad.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Rams fans in general don't realize/remember that Akers has only had two, 100 Yard Rushing games in his NFL career. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, just think a lot of fans, mis-remember him as a great RB. He has Flashed and showed glimpses, but hasn't been any kind of consistent in his rams career.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
I think Rams fans in general don't realize/remember that Akers has only had two, 100 Yard Rushing games in his NFL career. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, just think a lot of fans, mis-remember him as a great RB. He has Flashed and showed glimpses, but hasn't been any kind of consistent in his rams career.
Yeah I think most fans are keen to see him breakout but as you said, there’s no consistency. I’d be happy with him picking the hole and getting 5-6 yards consistently. Easy to convert on 2nd and 4 than 2nd and 12

Name
Richard Levy
Make no mistake about it, this is clear a message to Cam Akers.

Akers is on his last chance with the team and it won't be surprising to me if - in spite of his high draft position - he is released outright if he continues his putrid play against the Cards.

Rams are probably quietly exploring trade options to salvage something from Akers, maybe a lower round pick, prior to releasing him.

Though Rams fans rate him (too) highly, frankly I've never seen anything special about Akers, as he is a smallish back without outstanding speed, explosion to the hole, aggression, notable pass catching ability or pass protection skills.

He is a JAG whose current performance is well below the standards of even a backup NFL running back.

Fans got overly excited by a few 100 yard games, but at no time have I seen Akers as anything special.

Even before his Achilles injury, Akers was hesitant to the line of scrimmage, with a tendency to run laterally and he clearly lacks cutback vision.

There is a notable difference between Henderson's intensity to the hole and push upon contact and Akers' passive, lateral running approach.

Rams have simply run out of patience with Akers and have realized that our running game isn't getting it done. McVay and Snead will cut their losses with Akers, eat the pick if they have to, and move on. They want to win.

Look for another running back to be drafted in the higher rounds next year.

Sunday is likely Akers' last chance.

dang

Legend

Akers is on his last chance with the team and it won't be surprising to me if - in spite of his high draft position - he is released outright if he continues his putrid play against the Cards.

Rams are probably quietly exploring trade options to salvage something from Akers, maybe a lower round pick, prior to releasing him.

Though Rams fans rate him (too) highly, frankly I've never seen anything special about Akers, as he is a smallish back without outstanding speed, explosion to the hole, aggression, notable pass catching ability or pass protection skills.

He is a JAG whose current performance is well below the standards of even a backup NFL running back.

Fans got overly excited by a few 100 yard games, but at no time have I seen Akers as anything special.

Even before his Achilles injury, Akers was hesitant to the line of scrimmage, with a tendency to run laterally and he clearly lacks cutback vision.

There is a notable difference between Henderson's intensity to the hole and push upon contact and Akers' passive, lateral running approach.

Rams have simply run out of patience with Akers and have realized that our running game isn't getting it done. McVay and Snead will cut their losses with Akers, eat the pick if they have to, and move on. They want to win.

Agree Akers results have been putrid but at least 50% of that is on the OL. Disagree Sunday or anytime soon is his last chance.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek

Talk about an overreaction!

Name
Richard Levy

Talk about an overreaction!
If my response is an overreaction, please tell me why the Rams brought in Malcolm Brown, when Akers (our supposed feature back) is in full health. The Rams are bringing in competition and reinforcement at a demonstrably under-performing position.

Akers' play has forced the Rams to do so.

You may also wish to tell me what Akers has done this year or in any prior year to justify being considered irreplaceable.

Can you tell me what Akers does well enough to be considered an NFL starter, or as an impact player?

Though our running game has been dreadful and our Oline has not generated push, why has Henderson been visibly more effective behind the same line.

I don't believe I'm overreacting at all, just stating facts.

By your using your own logic in your response to my original post, the Rams are overreacting by bringing in Malcolm Brown.

I think not, they're merely addressing a problem area of the team, with the intent being to make the team less one-dimensional for the purpose of hopefully returning to the Super Bowl.