Ranking the backup QB's

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
You need to hit the link to see the slideshow. Wow! The state of backup QB's is weak around the entire league.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/lis...g-plans-depth-chart/lwx90g1gonpb1w5whxmbodayg

It was a good year for NFL starting quarterbacks in 2015.

Only 17 starting quarterbacks started in all 16 of their teams’ games, and nine of them finished with a record better than .500.

That leaves 15 teams that didn’t have their starters for the entire season; 15 teams that needed backup plans. In a league where you go only as far as your quarterback takes you, the backup quarterback continues to grow in importance.

So heading into 2016, how do you size up every NFL team’s backup plan? Sporting News looked at all 32 teams' reserves and ranked them from worst to first heading into training camp.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Any list that still ranks Sean Hill as a top 10 backup QB loses credibility with me, and tells me it has been compiled based on reputation rather than watching games.

The articles is spot on, however, in the importance of having a competent backup in place. I'm very happy with Keenum in that regard.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Any list that still ranks Sean Hill as a top 10 backup QB loses credibility with me, and tells me it has been compiled based on reputation rather than watching games.

The articles is spot on, however, in the importance of having a competent backup in place. I'm very happy with Keenum in that regard.

I thought he was too high too.

I found Philly (ranked 7) not high enough... They have some of the best depth IMO.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO the rest of the NFL needs to follow the Mike Shanahan principle or even the Patriots and draft back ups for the future. You only have to look at the lack of quality backups and IMO too much is pinned on games started.

Now there are some fine backups like Matt Moore IMO, however, I like the idea of drafting a guy and developing him over a journeyman QB. Now with Goff, IMO, with Keenum and Mannion the Rams are set I like Keenum as a number 2, he's perfect for that role and I am one that feels Mannion could offer something down the road as well.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I was surprised that Hastelbach rated so low! and I think Keenum should be rated higher! I was surprised at a lot of the rankings actually!!

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
6LQso.gif
:

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
This whole list was really bad. I think based on their logic, Keenum should be top 5.

The state of the backup quarterback is pretty bad though.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
IMO the rest of the NFL needs to follow the Mike Shanahan principle or even the Patriots and draft back ups for the future. You only have to look at the lack of quality backups and IMO too much is pinned on games started.

Now there are some fine backups like Matt Moore IMO, however, I like the idea of drafting a guy and developing him over a journeyman QB. Now with Goff, IMO, with Keenum and Mannion the Rams are set I like Keenum as a number 2, he's perfect for that role and I am one that feels Mannion could offer something down the road as well.
This^^^

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So Case Keenum is banged for a bad perfrmance with another team, even though he was 3-2 as a starter here? Come on you freakin idiots! It tells me that his previous team sucked so bad and then asked him to do too much to try and win the games.I feel comfortable with him as our back up, and feel he should have been several spots higher. Also, Goff is about to be the new "iron man" of the NFL!:yess: