Rams trying to work out a long term deal with CB Trumaine Johnson?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought i read it could still be removed

where the hell did i here that?

It can only be removed if he hasn't signed the tender. That's what happened to Josh Norman.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought i read it could still be removed

where the hell did i here that?
It can up until a certain date if it's not signed. Once signed it's a done deal. The franchise tender is basically a contract offer with the terms set by the CBA.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
no it cant, he already signed. hes guaranteed that money now

Yeah once he signed it, he was ours. For better or worse.

Small problem with these comparisons. Trumaine has a history or injuries. Multiple years.

He has also had some down years, where he doesn't stack up with the Trufants and Gilmores of the world.

Oh I never said "he was worth it". But that's what it's going to take IF the RAMS want him long term. It's obvious they don't want to pay him what he thinks he's worth, otherwise he'd be signed.

Yeah he's missed some games. A strained MCL in 2014 preseason (7 games), a thigh in 2015 (2 games) and an ankle in 2016 (2 games). But it's not like he's missed a ton of games. Nothing broken or torn that is.

I hope they are simply taking advantage of the fact Goff and Donald aren't their highest paid players......yet. They can actually afford to let him play on the tag and if they draft his legitimate replacement this year, all is well. Sidney Jones in the 4th would be great. He wouldn't even play this year and being a 4th rounder, would come cheap for the first few seasons.

Who knows what the hell is going to happen? Is there a chance he becomes worth 5 years 65 mil in Phillips D? If he does, give it to him. If he doesn't let him walk.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Trade seemed like a great idea but not easy to move a guy that's making 17million this year , it's ok with me thought I think Tru is a big time corner and can make this defense really good. Don't believe in the scheme tall he can play man zone or press when healthy and is also a good tackler

Ram65

Legend
Small problem with these comparisons. Trumaine has a history or injuries. Multiple years.

He has also had some down years, where he doesn't stack up with the Trufants and Gilmores of the world.

When I said 8-9 million sounds good that was from the Rams perspective. Of course he will want more.

You tell me which organization is going to give him 40 million guaranteed money to a CB that is constantly injured and has only been the #1 corner for a team one year. A year in which he got
Toasted white a lot.

The number will need to be well below those listed above. I'm not giving more than 10 million a year and 40 guaranteed to an often injured corner you isn't even a number 1 CB.

Also, Trumaine doesn't have as much leverage as you think. There is a huge risk in playing this year. You may get 16 million but for a corner that always gets
Injured your playing Russian roullete with your long term contract.

Counting last year and this year Tru has netted 30+ Million (by the end of this season) which is nearly as much as any other CB guaranteed money. He has some risk by not signing long term but, he already has gotten a lot of money. By franchising Tru two times the Rams raised his value or pay day already. He won't get nor does he need 40 Million guaranteed.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I doubt they get him signed at this point. Still think he's going to have his finest season under Wade, however I don't see the Rams risking a long term deal without seeing it on the field.

Rams signed Foles and Tavon recently based on camp production and projection, hope they've learned their lesson by now.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Yup, im very much looking forward to the draft to see how we supplement our roster. IMO it was always going to be difficult moving TruJo w/o a long term deal in place. I think if we get him signed its still possible we deal him if not more likely than now

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They can actually afford to let him play on the tag and if they draft his legitimate replacement this year, all is well. Sidney Jones in the 4th would be great. He wouldn't even play this year and being a 4th rounder, would come cheap for the first few seasons.

I've heard people say that jones may still be a late 1st pick.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If they signed Tru to a long-term deal, I think it would mean that they would not be drafting a corner early at all, probably not until at least the fourth round

I don't think signing Tru would affect draft plans at all. And it shouldn't. Consider that:

1.the Rams are still short at dbs even with Tru. They need more, that fit the desired scheme.

2. Then also, recall that Demoff front loads contracts so that they can cut the player after a year or two.

3. A signed contract would make Tru even more tradeable. This way no trade is contingent on him agreeing to sign with the team he would be traded to. This way he can't veto a trade.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I don't know if it was mentioned, but signing him to a contract at what he's worth might actually help open up trade talks. Sign and trades aren't the easiest thing to do. If they sign him, the team then takes on his contact, and if not, we have a good corner.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Re: Sign & Trade

I don't think it helps the trade, strictly because you just gave him a boat load of guaranteed money, no?

TexasRam

Legend
Yeah once he signed it, he was ours. For better or worse.

Oh I never said "he was worth it". But that's what it's going to take IF the RAMS want him long term. It's obvious they don't want to pay him what he thinks he's worth, otherwise he'd be signed.

Yeah he's missed some games. A strained MCL in 2014 preseason (7 games), a thigh in 2015 (2 games) and an ankle in 2016 (2 games). But it's not like he's missed a ton of games. Nothing broken or torn that is.

I hope they are simply taking advantage of the fact Goff and Donald aren't their highest paid players......yet. They can actually afford to let him play on the tag and if they draft his legitimate replacement this year, all is well. Sidney Jones in the 4th would be great. He wouldn't even play this year and being a 4th rounder, would come cheap for the first few seasons.

Who knows what the hell is going to happen? Is there a chance he becomes worth 5 years 65 mil in Phillips D? If he does, give it to him. If he doesn't let him walk.

I personally like Tru. I'd love him to stay on and have a great year and earn that big payday. Seems highly unlikely due to the pending Donald Contract next year.

But I am no capologist so maybe they could squeeze it in.

But again, we can't tag him again next year so it would be in his best interest from an insurance standpoint to sign a reasonable dean now with nice guaranteed instead of playing out this year and hoping to avoid an injury.

If I am Tru and they offer me 30-33 million guaranteed I might like that over 16 and no guarantee after that.

But maybe I am being naive to how these guys think.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know if it was mentioned, but signing him to a contract at what he's worth might actually help open up trade talks. Sign and trades aren't the easiest thing to do. If they sign him, the team then takes on his contact, and if not, we have a good corner.

That doesn't work in the NFL unless we forego signing bonus or a roster bonus that is paid immediately. It's unlikely that Tru would agree to those terms.

FRO

Legend
Counting last year and this year Tru has netted 30+ Million (by the end of this season) which is nearly as much as any other CB guaranteed money. He has some risk by not signing long term but, he already has gotten a lot of money. By franchising Tru two times the Rams raised his value or pay day already. He won't get nor does he need 40 Million guaranteed.
Exactly. Also there is no need or urgency for Trumaine to sign now. I think its in his best interest to play out the season and hit the market next offseason. I think it's in the Rams best interest to lock up a quality CB long term.

PARAM

Hall of Fame

I agree with "won't get" but "nor does he need" applies to every high paid athlete. The problem is I think 'he wants' something in that area. And the top free agent CB's have got real good paydays the last few years.

Talib 6/57m 26 GT
Revis 5/70m 39 GT
Norman 6/75m 50 GT
Jenkins 5/62.5m 28.8 GT
Sean Smith 4/38m 20 GT
Trufant 5/69m 42 GT
Bouye 5/67.5m 26 GT
Gillmore 5/65m 40 GT

The Rams told Tru he was their top CB when they let JJ walk. I'm sure he's heard it from other sources too. So, it's not whether he is a top CB, it's whether he believes he's a top CB. And that is the crux of the biscuit. I could see a team paying him Bouye, Jenkins or Talib money.

Hell, in 2015 the Jets paid out 127 million with 59 guaranteed to Revis (70m/39GT), Cromartie (32m/7GT) and Buster Skrine (25m/13GT). It's out there. His worry isn't whether the head coach, GM or cap guy will get fired (nor should it be), it's will they give me what I want?

Let him play on the tender and let him test free agency in 2018. Draft a couple of good CBs and develop them and who we already have on roster. Maybe pick up another UFA in 2018.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think many are enthusiastic about how Wade will do with the Rams D. Why wouldn't Tru feel the same way?
He's a warrior, a competitor.
With the money being thrown at these FA why on earth would he sign a long term deal now unless it compares with his 17 mill guarantee payday?
Especially next year when it may not be a deep CB class like this year.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I've heard people say that jones may still be a late 1st pick.

Well if that happens it'll push another CB or two down the board. If it doesn't and he's sitting there maybe we take him at the top of the 3rd.

I think many are enthusiastic about how Wade will do with the Rams D. Why wouldn't Tru feel the same way?
He's a warrior, a competitor.
With the money being thrown at these FA why on earth would he sign a long term deal now unless it compares with his 17 mill guarantee payday?
Especially next year when it may not be a deep CB class like this year.

He had a great "walk year" in 2015. 7 picks, 17 PD, a pick 6. Nada last year after being tagged for the first time. This year is his "walk year part deux" (no way we tag him again @23 mil GT). He's going to want to have the best season of his career. That only helps his free agent aspirations AND the Rams on the field. And if he won't take what they've offered him so far, they won't want to give him more in 2018. There's always the chance a playoff contender loses a #1 or #2 CB and offers us a nice 2018 pick for him in late October. Half a tender might be worth it to them. We could end up with a talented young CB from the draft, Webster, Robey, who knows who else might develop? and an extra draft pick in 2018, when we already have our full compliment.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Regardless you have to go CB this year most likely in the 3rd round because of the depth you might even grab another in the 6th...Tru did not have Jenkins for the first time last season and was not as strong point blank...Touch decision here both @FRO & @PARAM compelling arguments as to should he stay or should he go? IMHO, if Tru and his team has come down to earth and wants to agree to a cap friendly deal then sign him otherwise bid him adieu and stay young at this position, but I would not be upset if Tru signed a long term deal because I believe Wade Phillips could be to Trumaine Johnson what Mike Martz was to Isaac Bruce.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly. Also there is no need or urgency for Trumaine to sign now. I think its in his best interest to play out the season and hit the market next offseason. I think it's in the Rams best interest to lock up a quality CB long term.

It's in his best interest to get a big deal with a lot of guaranteed money. It's why players hate the franchise tag. Tru doesn't exactly have a great injury history.

Ram65

Legend
I agree with "won't get" but "nor does he need" applies to every high paid athlete. The problem is I think 'he wants' something in that area. And the top free agent CB's have got real good paydays the last few years.

Talib 6/57m 26 GT
Revis 5/70m 39 GT
Norman 6/75m 50 GT
Jenkins 5/62.5m 28.8 GT
Sean Smith 4/38m 20 GT
Trufant 5/69m 42 GT
Bouye 5/67.5m 26 GT
Gillmore 5/65m 40 GT

The Rams told Tru he was their top CB when they let JJ walk. I'm sure he's heard it from other sources too. So, it's not whether he is a top CB, it's whether he believes he's a top CB. And that is the crux of the biscuit. I could see a team paying him Bouye, Jenkins or Talib money.

Hell, in 2015 the Jets paid out 127 million with 59 guaranteed to Revis (70m/39GT), Cromartie (32m/7GT) and Buster Skrine (25m/13GT). It's out there. His worry isn't whether the head coach, GM or cap guy will get fired (nor should it be), it's will they give me what I want?

Let him play on the tender and let him test free agency in 2018. Draft a couple of good CBs and develop them and who we already have on roster. Maybe pick up another UFA in 2018.

Sure Talib money is only 26 Million guaranteed money. That's the range I stated 26-36 Million. You had him guaranteed money at 36-45 Million. I was trying to come up with numbers that are fair to everyone. In the end we agree it's probably going to be the one year deal this year and then he finds out his market value.