Rams strategy at pick #37 is gonna be fascinating...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
On the one hand, many evals and mocks are showing TE, WR, CB, and even C there.

All players with great value/need intersections.

However...

There are endless other evals and mocks showing players that should be able to contribute in their rookie year at those very same positions of TE, WR, CB, and C that can be selected through the 4th round, at least. I'm defining "contribute" as getting significant quality snaps, perhaps even being the new starter by midseason. Maybe even by opening day.

So, how to handicap the Ram draft strategy this year?

I think that the smart play is to let the draft come to us. Just roll with it, resisting any temptations to trade up.

There will be a 1st round rated talent that falls to them at #37. Probably several, actually. Take their favorite.

They must avoid getting married to a particular position or player prior to #37, IOW.

Then take BPA at the subsequent picks at needed positions not previously acquired.

Repeat through at least round five.

In this way, the draft decisions and roster fills will sort themselves out. Easy peasy, huh?

It's just that kind of a draft.

Kinda fun not knowing if our newest O weapons at TE or WR will come to us in the 2nd round or the 4th. Fun and exciting.

Can't wait.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

However...

There are endless other evals and mocks showing players that should be able to contribute in their rookie year at those very same positions of TE, WR, CB, and C that can be selected through the 4th round, at least. I'm defining "contribute" as getting significant quality snaps, perhaps even being the new starter by midseason. Maybe even by opening day.

I think that the smart play is to let the draft come to us. Just roll with it, resisting any temptations to trade up.

There will be a 1st round rated talent that falls to them at #37. Probably several, actually. Take their favorite.

They must avoid getting married to a particular position or player prior to #37, IOW.

Then take BPA at the subsequent picks at needed positions not previously acquired.

In this way, the draft decisions and roster fills will sort themselves out. Easy peasy, huh?

Kinda fun not knowing if our newest O weapons at TE or WR will come to us in the 2nd round or the 4th. Fun and exciting.

Can't wait.
Or even CENTER!:rockon:

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
I'm excited to see the difference a coaching staff makes. I believe what will make McVay successful is the ability to delegate the D to Wade and focus on what he knows best, offense. Back in 1999 i recall reading a story about a coach who did just that and won the superbowl.

A55VA6

Legend
I kind of like the spot we're in. There's some depth at a few positions of need in this draft, but the Rams can really just go BPA and at 37 I feel we can get a pretty good player.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We should be in a great position to add somebody in both the 2nd and 3rd rounds who can step in and contribute right away and make us a better team. Please no more projects who need coaching high in the draft.

Ram65

Legend
Im not throwing any trade out the door. The Rams need a starter in round two and maybe round three. On paper they have most starter position covered. WR is open and DL needs at least a rotational player. Moving down a few spots would be ok. Tha offenive line could use an upgrade if Lamp falls some and Rams move up some. Certainly not real big moves like in the recent past.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

However...

Can't wait.
You left out "LB"!! TJ Watt could be their! Then what!!?!(y):D

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Im not throwing any trade out the door. The Rams need a starter in round two and maybe round three. On paper they have most starter position covered. WR is open and DL needs at least a rotational player. Moving down a few spots would be ok. Tha offenive line could use an upgrade if Lamp falls some and Rams move up some. Certainly not real big moves like in the recent past.

Disagree that The Rams need Defense or offensive line help !!

I think The Rams need a couple playmakers. I'd say maybe trading back into the 2nd rd to get them.

BeefJurky

Rookie
Engram, book it.
The writing is on the walls for this one, obvious pick if he's there at #37.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Engram, book it.
The writing is on the walls for this one, obvious pick if he's there at #37.
IMG_44311.jpg

Ram65

Legend
Disagree that The Rams need Defense or offensive line help !!

I think The Rams need a couple playmakers. I'd say maybe trading back into the 2nd rd to get them.

OK defensive line could be fine. DL is one of the easier places to make and impact as a rookie. Still have a some questions on the rotation.

70 Fox, Morgan DE 6-3 263 22 2 Colorado State-Pueblo
96 Longacre, Matt DE 6-3 260 25 3 Northwest Missouri State
93 Westbrooks, Ethan DL 6-4 267 26 4 West Texas A&M
90 Brockers, Michael DT 6-5 326 26 6 LSU
99 Donald, Aaron DT 6-1 285 25 4 Pittsburgh
91 Easley, Dominique DT 6-2 285 24 4 Florida
62 Trinca-Pasat, Louis DT 6-1 292 25 1 Iowa
95 Walker, Tyrunn DT 6-3 310 27 7 Tulsa

However, a player like Forrest Lamp could be the future of the offensive line. It's possible he could play all O line positions but, he projects as a top (Zack Martin) OG. The Rams offensive line still has question marks. The addition of Whitworth is a big upgrade at LT yet he is 35/36. John Sullivan has to be an upgrade at OC and hopefully he stays healthy. The rest are still unsettled. Saffold is considered overpaid/injury prone and could be playing his last year as a Ram. GRob now being moved to RT but who knows how he will play. Havenstein played well his rookie year but did his injured and hold him back last year? Brown, Wichman and Donnel all question marks. So if Lamp falls he could be more valuable than a playmaker. He will make Goff, Gurley and the rest of the offensive players better.

It's hard to find players ready to contribute early in their NFL careers. I think Cooper Kupp could be the most NFL ready playmaker available to the Rams. No player works harder and studies the game more than he does. I'm open minded about the draft. I think the Rams will be too. I expect them to follow their board but, we don't know how they stacked it.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
OK defensive line could be fine. DL is one of the easier places to make and impact as a rookie. Still have a some questions on the rotation.

70 Fox, Morgan DE 6-3 263 22 2 Colorado State-Pueblo
96 Longacre, Matt DE 6-3 260 25 3 Northwest Missouri State
93 Westbrooks, Ethan DL 6-4 267 26 4 West Texas A&M
90 Brockers, Michael DT 6-5 326 26 6 LSU
99 Donald, Aaron DT 6-1 285 25 4 Pittsburgh
91 Easley, Dominique DT 6-2 285 24 4 Florida
62 Trinca-Pasat, Louis DT 6-1 292 25 1 Iowa
95 Walker, Tyrunn DT 6-3 310 27 7 Tulsa

However, a player like Forrest Lamp could be the future of the offensive line. It's possible he could play all O line positions but, he projects as a top (Zack Martin) OG. The Rams offensive line still has question marks. The addition of Whitworth is a big upgrade at LT yet he is 35/36. John Sullivan has to be an upgrade at OC and hopefully he stays healthy. The rest are still unsettled. Saffold is considered overpaid/injury prone and could be playing his last year as a Ram. GRob now being moved to RT but who knows how he will play. Havenstein played well his rookie year but did his injured and hold him back last year? Brown, Wichman and Donnel all question marks. So if Lamp falls he could be more valuable than a playmaker. He will make Goff, Gurley and the rest of the offensive players better.

It's hard to find players ready to contribute early in their NFL careers. I think Cooper Kupp could be the most NFL ready playmaker available to the Rams. No player works harder and studies the game more than he does. I'm open minded about the draft. I think the Rams will be too. I expect them to follow their board but, we don't know how they stacked it.

I don't see anyway Forrest Lamp will be there in 2nd rd ? Copper Kupp I question
his speed at 4.62 ?? To me Chad Hanson is a better draft prospect with Jared Goff.The Rams all ready went that route with McDaniels .

McVay is looking for speed at WR position. Evan Engram looks like a McVay type TE

Ram65

Legend
I don't see anyway Forrest Lamp will be there in 2nd rd ? Copper Kupp I question
his speed at 4.62 ?? To me Chad Hanson is a better draft prospect with Jared Goff.The Rams all ready went that route with McDaniels .

McVay is looking for speed at WR position. Evan Engram looks like a McVay type TE

I trying to address the Ram43's original post. He wanted the Rams to stay at #37. Get players that can contribute this year. I stated the Rams shouldn't be married to staying put. Lamp would be a possible move up. I get the playmaker need. We will see if speed prevails when the Rams pick. McVay could get speed in later rounds too. It's all good we all want the Rams to have a great draft!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Screw speed. Get me a football player.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
If they don't trade down, they will definately have their choice of alot of first round talent as I think there will be many fallers at 37. If they have a few if those targets still available, I would think they would try to move down a few spots, depending on who they think the teams behind them are looking at.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Some players that could fall out of the first round that might be there @ #37 would be : Forrest Lamp OL& Cam Robinson RT. I would jump fast to land Lamp as a possible future starting center even though he has been a LT.

I would expect OSLB Charles Harris, OLB Takkarist McKinley & CB Marlon Humphrey to there for the pickings. Yes Move H-Back Evan Engram would be in this bunch too. McKinley had recently undergoing shoulder surgery & should drop to us.

My favorites would be OL Forrest Lamp, OLB Takkarist McKinley & then the outside corner Marlon Humphrey.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I trying to address the Ram43's original post. He wanted the Rams to stay at #37. Get players that can contribute this year. I stated the Rams shouldn't be married to staying put. Lamp would be a possible move up. I get the playmaker need. We will see if speed prevails when the Rams pick. McVay could get speed in later rounds too. It's all good we all want the Rams to have a great draft!

Of course I get it , but I do believe taking an offensive lineman is a wasted pick.
1.salary
2.G. Robs contract year
3. All the young Lineman in draft 2 years ago are all coming into there 3rd year.That all have starting experience Donnal,Brown,Witchmann,plus the rest of roster that were hide away on practice & IR
4. You already believe what a good Line coach Kromer is
5.Whitworth wanting to mentor the young tackles
6. Sullivan gives The Rams time to figure out what they have.The Rams have interchangeable players, just need one at center. Center depth is the biggest question mark on paper though.

My believe is there is no way in heck Lamp falls to The Rams which would make it hard to pass up his value.I'm a value by position guy , but Lamp is 1st rd talent.

I want The Rams to trade back & then back up into the 2nd rd ?

Sleepers - Bucky Hodges TE late 3rd, then Jake Butt ? Injury ?
RB Marlon Mack late 2nd,3rd, then Joe Williams 3rd day
WR 2nd rd Zay Jones, JuJu,& Goodwin.
--3rd day -- Amara Darboh ,Chad Williams, & K.D. Cannon

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Screw speed. Get me a football player.

Good luck getting separation with Copper Kupp !! He won't be a Ram though so no worries.
Offensive line is stacked & full for 2017.
I'll trust Kromer though. He will have final say , but I think he is fired up to coach this line up !!

Above is a solid set of football players.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
At 37, we should take the best playmaker available, and that should be either Engram or Godwin. Our offense has been so terrible; dead last in scoring, touchdowns, and yards. The number one factor in improving this team is improving this offense, no matter how good the defense is, you cannot "win a 0 - 0 game". Goff improves with o-line protection and getting him some help in pass catchers. How can a team dead last in offense lose 3 receivers----including their number 1 receiver----and feel that they can just replace these 3 guys with late-round guys is unfathomable. There are plenty of areas that need to be upgraded but, the desperate need of improving this offense should be first and foremost. Scheme and coaching will help our offense tremendously, no doubt about that but, looking at our pass-catchers, we have 2----yes 2, "proven" receivers, and one happens to be Tavon who's been less than "average" at this point. IIRC we were shutout by S.F. last year coming out of the off-season no less; we scored 10 points, and tried to "sit" on that small of a lead (because of no confidence in the offense) against Miami-----I can go on and on but, the whole league knows our offense is terrible. At 37, this offense desperately need a guy who can make an impact this year and help us score more points-----a team dead last in so many categories, loses it's best receiver and then choses to not make that it's first priority is not going to be competitive.
Sorry for the rant, but this is JMHO of course.