Rams sign veteran Safety Eric Weddle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
Eh, not a back breaker and I do like not having to use valuable draft assets on safety. Plus, I’m ok with not seeing Joyner lost in the backfield while receivers sprint past him. Football smarts is definitely upgraded with this signing. So I’m indifferent on it. Allows us to get a late round safety or udfa and groom for a year which our coaches like to do.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
We just added a 6 time Pro Bowler.

Including all 3 of his recent years with the Ravens, so he’s still got it.

[www.usatoday.com]

Can play either FS or SS with experience that should be invaluable to the Rams. And Snead got him for approx half the cost of Joyner last year.

I see him as a 2 year rental that could be invaluable in mentoring a young S to be drafted and developed. Not unlike the Whit/Boom and Sully/Allen situations.

Dang!

London_Ram

Rookie
I'm pleased with this signing. For me still playing at a higher standard than Joyner, think his experience and knowhow will help the rest of the secondary, and a lot cheaper than the $11.3m Joyner cost last year freeing up more cap space for Saffold and/or more firepower on the Edge.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I like the Rams pattern of going out and getting "football smart" vets in FA, ala Whit ,Sully, Talib, Suh, and now Weddle, one for each position group to help bring along the younger players.

Up next: LB.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
11 teams were interested. So that makes me feel Weddle still has some gas in the tank.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All this talk of Wade getting what he needs in the short term makes me wonder when he will hit the dusty trail and hang ‘em up. I hope he sticks in there for a while.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
11 teams were interested. So that makes me feel Weddle still has some gas in the tank.

It also shows how much the worm has turned, where when the Rams were crappy in St. Louis they weren't a premier destination. Now with 2 winning seasons in L.A, as well as a Superbowl appearance they are a premier destination. Love it.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It also shows how much the worm has turned, where when the Rams were crappy in St. Louis they weren't a premier destination. Now with 2 winning seasons in L.A, as well as a Superbowl appearance they are a premier destination. Love it.
I think a LOT of players and coaches around the league like what they see in the new Rams culture. I Imagine it is pretty damn appealing to them!

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I'm pumped, love this signing, besides being a great player he will bring a ton of wisdom and leadership to the back end of this defense.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Not a fan. I think he has been declining for a while now, and although he still should be better than Joyner was this past season, Weddle is still not a guy you're glad to have starting IMO. But I will trust the Rams know what they are doing as I hope to be proven wrong. I'll support Weddle fully as long as he is in horns.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Would one of the moderators change the title of this thread? It just doesn’t sound that exciting.

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
I think a LOT of players and coaches around the league like what they see in the new Rams culture. I Imagine it is pretty damn appealing to them!
I had that exact same jacket and hat in your avatar. I think it was around 1977-78 and I didn't take off the jacket for my school pictures which I thought was pretty cool but my mom wasn't real happy.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Meh , I would've made a push for C J Mosley . Or Earl Thomas