Rams' Saffold finds peace in switch to right tackle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
BEN FREDERICKSON
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.foxsportsmidwest.com/nfl/st-louis-rams/story/Rams-Saffold-finds-peace-in-switch-to-ri?blockID=919871#.UeAI5X69qDs.twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.foxsportsmidwest.com/nfl/st- ... Ds.twitter</a>

798463.jpg

ST. LOUIS -- Rodger Saffold wasn't pleased.

The position was a part of his identity. In the 47 games the St. Louis Rams had played since 2010, he had started there 35 times. Only injuries had kept No. 76 from his place. He was the Rams' left tackle, a title synonymous with big money and respect. He was the protector of star quarterback Sam Bradford's blind side.

Until suddenly, without a chance to fight for it, the job was no longer his.

"I think it was more of a shock than anything," St. Louis Rams offensive line coach Paul Boudreau said. "He had some moments, as we will say in our room."

When the Rams signed former Miami Dolphins left tackle Jake Long to a four-year, $34 million contract in late March, the team described the acquisition of the elite lineman as a no-brainer. Long was the No. 1 pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, a 6-foot-7, 319-pound mountain of a man who had made four Pro Bowls in five years. The team celebrated while Saffold wrestled with the request he knew would come next.

His agent had made it clear Saffold was not interested switching positions when the Rams started courting Long. Some wondered if Saffold, entering the last year of his rookie contract with the team, would skip voluntary organized team activities as a sign of protest.

"I hadn't played right tackle since ninth grade," Saffold explained, after the dust finally settled.

Boudreau understood Saffold's initial reaction, the 'moments' he would rather leave in the past. He figured his upset tackle would come around, and he was right.

"Rodger is not that kind of kid," Boudreau said. "He wants to win. He wants to be part of the winning tradition we are going to start here. So, he’s going to make it work.”

So here was Saffold this offseason, relearning a position his 25-year-old body had not played in a decade. He says he is on board now, and his coaches have praised his selflessness for embracing the switch. His continued willingness to adapt will be influential for the Rams' 2013 season, as well as the rest of Saffold's career.

Boudreau uses a baseball metaphor.

Imagine a Major Leaguer changing his swing from left to right. The instincts that make the hitter a pro, his ability to track pitches and send the ball a certain way, are still there. It's the awkwardness of the unfamiliar swing that makes it hard.

Or, here's one anyone can try.

"If you're right-handed, start writing left-handed," Boudreau said.

Boudreau has coached NFL offensive linemen since 1987. He knew Saffold, unlike some left tackles, could make the switch to the right side. He cited the 6-foot-5, 314-pound player's all-around athleticism, hip flexibility, use of leverage and proficiency at run blocking as evidence.

There is one disadvantage, though. Saffold became a starting left tackle at Indiana University halfway through his freshman season. Then, as an NFL rookie in 2010, he claimed the starting spot for the Rams. He never spent time on the right side -- something required of backup NFL guards and tackles so they can fill any position at a moment's notice.

[hilite]“If you are a guy who is a backup guy, Rokevious Watkins or Brandon Washington, you are a swing guy,"[/hilite]Boudreau said. "So, you are going to have to work like a switch hitter. You are going to have to work a right-handed stance, a left-handed stance. And you get used to it. In Rodger’s case, he’s always been there. Let’s say he’s been playing football for nine or 10 years of his life. He’s always been that way. Now, all of a sudden, he’s changed. It is a mental thing. And it is a physical thing.”

The frustratingly slow transition started during organized team activities. There, absent of shoulder pads and contact, Saffold spent three weeks learning how to reverse engineer the technique that made him successful on the left side, and apply it to the right.

"You've got this muscle memory from going one way," Saffold said toward the end of the sessions. "Now, you're trying to flip it and go the other."

Time and time again, he got down into his new stance, took a step and punched his arms out like pistons. Constantly, he checked the position of every body part, from his feet to his head. Boudreau sometimes asked Saffold to complete this footwork barefoot so the player could better gauge his weight distribution and balance.

Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

It's the key to creating new muscle memory.

“When he gets into a situation where he is more comfortable, then his athleticism, his bend, his flexibility, will come up and come to the top -- just like it did on the left side," Boudreau said.

Saffold left for summer vacation with an iPad that Larry Clerico, the team's director of video operations, had loaded with clips.

Some showed Saffold during previous seasons, a left tackle dominating defensive linemen with flawless footwork. Others showed him during organized team activities, a right tackle who often fell out of his stance instead of fired, who backpedaled awkwardly, kicking as if on invisible stilts.

Comparing the two was supposed to help Saffold convert the latter into the former.

Jim Hanifan chuckles when he tells his favorite story about a switch.

"Many, many years ago, I made a big move for an individual," the retired NFL offensive line guru said. "That man was Dan Dierdorf. I moved him from left tackle to right tackle."

It was 1974, and Hanifan was the offensive line coach for the St. Louis Cardinals. Before a practice, while his linemen were loosening up, he noticed his four-time Pro Bowl right tackle, Ernie McMillan, was in a left-handed stance.

"Why did you get down in that stance?" Hanifan asked.

"I'm a natural left hander," McMillan answered.

What transpired was a switch that shifted the 36-year-old McMillan to left tackle, where he played his final two seasons before retirement. But it was Dierdorf, Hanifan's 25-year-old left tackle who moved to the right side in the aftermath, who reaped the reward. Dierdorf made the Pro-Bowl five consecutive times as a right tackle, then added one more trip later in his career. He entered the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1996.

There are others.

Boudreau cites Willie Roaf, who switched from right tackle to left tackle after his rookie year, and Larry Allen, who played right tackle, right guard and left tackle before settling in at a left guard for his final nine seasons. Both are also members of the Hall of Fame.

Hanifan offers the following advice for Saffold: Bury any blind-side fascination, and embrace a chance to diversify.

"If I was sitting here with him right now, I would say, 'Rodger, this is an opportunity for you,'" Hanifan said. "Show the people, not only the Rams, but the National Football League what you are made of. For the good of the team, you're coming over to the right side. Come out here with a bang, not a whimper, and get after it. Prove what kind of player you are."

A full-contact trial by fire awaits Saffold at the end of this month.

Chris Long, the Rams' defensive end who has 24.5 sacks in two seasons, will line up in front of Saffold's face when training camp begins. He's proof that quarterback threats thrive on both sides of the defensive line.

"It doesn’t matter if you get hit by the left guy, or the right," Boudreau said. "Our goal is: Bradford ain’t getting touched after he throws the ball. Dwight Freeney was always a right defensive end. If they found a big, stiff guy at right tackle, Freeney would go over there. They’re going to find the weak link. It’s been that way forever.”

Saffold says he won't be a weak link. He says he will be ready.

“It’s unexpected," he said. "But, at the end of the day, you’re happy for it. Because it is more experience, more you can do. It makes you a more-valuable player. Knowing I can play right and left is going to be good for me and my family. So, there’s no problem.”

He paused, then added:

"I think I'm really going to be able to play well at this position."

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Lane Johnson, if he ever signs, is going to start at RT too and he's the 7th overall pick.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
albefree69 said:
Lane Johnson, if he ever signs, is going to start at RT too and he's the 7th overall pick.

Lane Johnson was the fourth overall pick, and it makes sense for him to block Vick's blindside.

Saffold's frustration is certainly understandable, but he's a team player through and through. Hope he dominates his new position.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Memento said:
Saffold's frustration is certainly understandable, but he's a team player through and through. Hope he dominates his new position.

Agree.

With success at RT; he get's paid regardless.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Memento correcting my error:
Lane Johnson was the fourth overall pick, and it makes sense for him to block Vick's blindside.

Good catch! He was the 7th rated player (ESPN) in the draft. That just bolster's my point.

Vick is not a shoe in to start and I do believe that Lane will be playing RT regardless of who starts at QB.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Somebody better protect his blindside...

[nfl]09000d5d822200a5[/nfl]
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d822200a5/Mikell-forces-Vick-fumble" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... ick-fumble</a>

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:
Somebody better protect his blindside...

That was an absolute offensive line FAIL right there. Reminds me of the Looney days.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was listening to an interview, Jim Rome show, and I think it was a guard or tackle from Green Bay. Anyway, the topic came up about how he was switched from left to right side of the line and he said the hardest thing was getting used to the field of vision for keeping track of the linebackers because it was completely backwards. I found that very interesting and I didn't even think that aspect as I'm just a fan and never was in the trenches other than flanker back and WR in high school. Now I get why Roger was hesitant, upset and not comfortable. Possibly, the first 2, 3 or 4 games, he may struggle to say the least while he gets used to the new view. The leverage angle is different too, so he may get pushed around while his body muscles grow and react to the new position. Interesting stuff!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
News Bot said:
Boudreau has coached NFL offensive linemen since 1987. He knew Saffold, unlike some left tackles, could make the switch to the right side. He cited the 6-foot-5, 314-pound player's all-around athleticism, hip flexibility, use of leverage and proficiency at run blocking as evidence.

In truth Saffold is what you look for when drafting a RIGHT OT not OLT. Saffold is more natural 325 pounder than 314 pounder. The most improved part of his game is his run blocking its exceptional hard to find a better run blocking OLT than a healthy Saffold.

There is one disadvantage, though. Saffold became a starting left tackle at Indiana University halfway through his freshman season. Then, as an NFL rookie in 2010, he claimed the starting spot for the Rams. He never spent time on the right side -- something required of backup NFL guards and tackles so they can fill any position at a moment's notice.

I finally found & read where when he came to the Rams they tried him at various places on the OL right & left OG & OT but when he was in the OL and he played OLT is where the entire OL improved from it the rest is history!

[hilite]“If you are a guy who is a backup guy, Rokevious Watkins or Brandon Washington, you are a swing guy,"[/hilite]Boudreau said. "So, you are going to have to work like a switch hitter. You are going to have to work a right-handed stance, a left-handed stance. And you get used to it.

Here we get a small glance into where Boudreau singles these two OL'ers out & what he is doing with these two young OL'ers. Watkins in college played both left & right and both OG & OT in all four Ol posts. Washington has played OLG, OLT & ORT in college both is these have very good size 6-3 338 & 6-4 320 pounders. Washington better @ left side & Watkins has shown to be better on the right. But both very versatile & in a pinch can play many OL posts. Saffold has been described as very versatile over many yrs but has ONLY played one post Left OT. I think both these Ol'er BW & RW are in big competition for a roster spot with each other since they bring the exact same type of skills. BW was rated higher in most 2012 draft profiles over RW.

I continue to bring up Brandon Washington in my OL ramblings often, he has the size to be a good reserve to possibly three OL post -OLG/ORG/ORT he may prove to be more value than last yr starter Shelley Smith 6-4 298 who is strictly a OG & appears to be much better @ OLG than ORG. If SS does not win the OLG post over Chris Williams outright this season I can SS being a cut in the roster down size in preseason. Even if CW does not win the OLG starting post he will be the top emergency backup game day dresser for 4 OL posts. Boudreau did not get a chance to work with BW in TC or pre-season last yr so we could be in for a surprise here. Which ever of these many young OL'ers that proves he can prove they can play Right OT along with both OG's posts will win that #9 OL roster spot!

"it is more experience, more you can do. It makes you a more-valuable player. Knowing I can play right and left is going to be good for me and my family. So, there’s no problem.”

Very smart statement by Saffold!

"I think I'm really going to be able to play well at this position."

In the back of Saffold mind I believe he knows he can be a much better Right OT in the NFL than OLT. It will be a serious blow to the future OL if Saffold departs after this season.