Rams request interview with Cleveland oc john defilippo

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Is he still employed by the Browns or was he fired?

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
This offence needs a major shakeup so at this point almost any move is an upgrade.And it looks like Fisher isn't going anywhere so any and all creative offensive coaches are welcome.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Haslam is a control freak. I'll bet he makes the Rams wait. Somethin about his face makes me want to cave it in with a shovel... Is that wrong?

Anyway, re: Flip... here's a nice quote on him that speaks volumes to me because it is the heart of being a great coordinator at the NFL level:

“The one thing I learned about him very quickly when I hired him is just it’s the combination of passion and football intelligence,” coach Mike Pettine said. “When a play breaks down, he knows immediately why it happened. He’s very good at troubleshooting. He’s very good at understanding defenses and what they’re trying to take away and how to take advantage of it and how we can get our guys in the right position to make plays.”

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If anyone is wondering whether this would be a good hire...think about this...how many fan-bases like their OC?

Browns fans want the new coaching staff to keep DeFilippo as OC and have had nothing but complimentary things to say about him on the other forum I post on when another Rams fan asked what they think about him today. Here are a few quotes:
What can you guys share about current OC John DeFilippo? The Rams have requested to interview him.
I love him. His schemes to get mediocre WRs open is outstanding. Although our running game was crap in the beginning, it was much improved by the end of the ear. Don't know if it's just complicated to get and that's why it improved or what.

I personally would have demoted Pettine and made him interim HC.
I hope we don't lose him - liked his play calling this year.
best coach on our staff and helped make McCown and Manziel look like legit QBs...too bad one got hurt and the other is a drunk...

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Good they are looking and not taking too long to start.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
At the very least they need to bring in someone to coordinate the passing game to work with Boras if not to be the new coordinator overall.

I also hope they bring in a new WR coach. This staff has yet to develop a WR that can run good routes and generally make a difference in the passing game. And thats with having 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks to work with.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
How much control does he get? Hopefully relocation is wrapped up here by the super bowl so coaches don't have to ask that question.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
At the very least they need to bring in someone to coordinate the passing game to work with Boras if not to be the new coordinator overall.

I also hope they bring in a new WR coach. This staff has yet to develop a WR that can run good routes and generally make a difference in the passing game. And thats with having 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks to work with.

I just realized there is a real danger that the only one of those 4 guys left on the team next year may be Tavon. I agree the WR development has been poor. I think Sherman may be part of the problem.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
well I hope this early aggressive search for a new OC will bear some fruit - Boras did an OK job, but our O needs new blood - we need to score more TDs and our QB/WR play needs to be improved substantially. I'm not 100% confident in Keenum as our starter next season, I'd rather see Mannion there with Keenum as our #2, especially if we get a new OC.

From what I've seen of the Browns this year some of the O play was good, but again highlights always look good ;)

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I'd like to see a new OC brought in from outside. I'm not sure Boras is the answer although he did at least earn some consideration.

I don't believe this talk of Fisher having this over-riding influence over his OCs. In the 2013 season, under Schotty, Sam Bradford was on course for something like 3800 yards and 32 TDs (if his stats in the 7 games he played are extrapolated out and you also have to remember that it was, in reality, 6 and a bit games rather than a full 7 so you could argue the stats would have been marginally higher).

16 QBs this season threw for more than 3800 yards so its not a world beating stat by any means and there are lots of holes that can be picked in this argument but Zac Stacy ran for 973 yards that season so no one can argue that Fisher was forced away from his preferred running game due to personnel issues. His beloved running game was present and correct. The extrapolated stats I've given above would have made this year's Rams offense look massively different.

My view is that Fisher wasn't hamstringing Schotty with any kind of insistence on an offensive style so I don't think its necessarily reasonable to assume he'll hamstring whoever is OC next year (especially as that individual will have had a full offseason to prepare as well as a say in who gets drafted presumably).

Obviously there were and are other factors that are holding the offense back that could be laid at Fisher's feet but I think he gets an unfair reputation in regard to his alleged influence over OCs.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I definitely like the idea of an outside influence.

We've seen a lot of players come and go, now on our 3rd OC... And this offense has underperformed through all of it.

I'm not saying the whole playbook needs to be scrapped, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings.

Athos

Legend
Dude turned Gary Barnidge into a 1000 yard TE with 9 TDs catching 64% of his targets...

He's a five year player and those stats are about 7x the amount of production he had last year and basically any other year.

Yea, I could get on that train.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Ideally Difillipo would coordinate the passing game and Boras would manage the running game and both would contribute to the execution of the offense. To obtain Coach D, we'd have to give him the title of OC. I believe Boras is man enough to comply. It's a messy situation but life frequently is.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
What does that have to do with nepotism?

I guess not much ....
But i thought it was funny that Fisher always tends to bring on sons of coaches who he knows

And sure enough DeFilippo is a son of a coach

Mannion is a son of a football coach

Maybe it's not nepotism per se, but bringing of staff with coaching lineage is definitely on his mind

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'm on board with this. Hoping they get him, in addition to what I've read about him on this board I've heard good things elsewhere.

Not knocking Boras who I think did an admirable job under the circumstances, but DeFilippo looks like a guy who makes lemonade when life gives him lemons.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
So clearly they want an upgrade to Boras. Just hope we keep Boras at his previous position.
I'd hope they retain his services. He did nothing to hurt himself. And I get the upgrade....but

We finished 32nd in yards per game. Cleveland finished 25th.

We finished 29th in ppg. Cleveland finished 30th.

He seems like an up and comer though.
Not sure about the up and coming part. To me, those are almost the same numbers... Show me a guy....LIKE SCHOTTY.. that gets a guy, like AUSTIN DAVIS, to perform....then judge him...... Kinda why change just for the sake of change isn't cool.... Sorta like Fisher... But how about we get Boras a REAL QB?!? Before we go making sweeping changes....

Athos

Legend
The dude had McGown to play well very well in the passing game with mediocre receivers and a garbage run game.

Worth a shot. Better than the status quo.

I'd rather Gase or Jackson, but we're stuck with Fisher sadly... Maybe forever. And those guys will be HCs next year.