Rams place Joyner on NFI

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
https://www.therams.com/news/rams-place-joyner-on-nfi

The Rams have placed safety Lamarcus Joyner on the non-football injury list.

Los Angeles had its annual conditioning test before the start of training camp on Wednesday.

Joyner will be eligible to come off NFI and practice whenever he is medically cleared.

Entering his fifth NFL season, Joyner has three career interceptions, 4.0 sacks, and two forced fumbles. Los Angeles moved him from slot corner to safety in 2017 - Joyner's first season under defensive coordinator Wade Phillips.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Of all people he is one I would think would come to camp in shape. Hes playing for a big contract this year. I wonder if there is some kind of injury that has kept him from working out like he should?

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Does anyone have specific details on the exact reason for Joyner being placed on the NFI ?

Psycho_X

Legend
Ooooook. Let the imaginations run wild!!! Seriously though, that's kind of weird. He's not a lineman so you wouldn't think he'd be THAT out of shape. So an offseason injury? I wouldn't think it'd have anything to do with his contract. I mean, the franchise tag as a safety is a pretty good chunk of money for that position regardless.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
So an offseason injury?

Can’t see Joyner having a conditioning problem... so strong probability this is it.

Doesn’t sound like anything to get excited about, however.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
He could of hurt himself training during the offseason.
Well based on what @OldSchool posted in another thread, it would be non-football related.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physically_unable_to_perform

Preseason PUP[edit]
A player who, as a result of football-related injuries, is unable to take part in training camp practices may be assigned to the preseason PUP list. Players can be moved off the PUP list to the active roster at any time, even after one practice. A player cannot be placed on the PUP list, however, once he has taken the field for a practice, even if only for a few minutes.

Regular-season PUP[edit]
A player who finishes the preseason still on the PUP list can then be placed on the regular-season PUP list. Such players must sit out the first six weeks of the regular season. At that point, teams have a five-week window in which to allow the player to begin practicing; from the day the player begins practicing, teams have an additional 21-day window in which to decide whether to activate the player to the 53-man roster. If either of those deadlines pass, the player must remain on the PUP list for the remainder of the season.[1]

Non-football injury[edit]
A similar list, known as the "non-football injury" (NFI) list, is functionally equivalent to PUP, but is used for players who are unable to practice as a result of conditions unrelated to football, or injuries that did not occur during a game or practice. For example, New England Patriots tackle Marcus Cannon began his rookie season on the NFI list as he recovered from chemotherapy for non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Also, David Quessenberry of the Houston Texans was put on the NFI list in mid-June, 2014 after being diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma at the age of 23.

The NFI designation, despite its name, also covers injuries sustained during football played outside the NFL, including college football. Willis McGahee spent his entire rookie season on the Buffalo Bills' NFI list due to the major knee injury he sustained in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
Well based on what @OldSchool posted in another thread, it would be non-football related.

Training on your own in the offseason isn’t football related. I think to be football related it has to happen with the team in training or in game action. Could be wrong though. I don’t know any details of the reason why so can’t really speculate on what it is.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

he must have been living it up on his $11m windfall.

Last edited:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Could of tweeked a hammy running. Can't worry about it right now. There's time to heal.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Ooooook. Let the imaginations run wild!!! Seriously though, that's kind of weird. He's not a lineman so you wouldn't think he'd be THAT out of shape. So an offseason injury? I wouldn't think it'd have anything to do with his contract. I mean, the franchise tag as a safety is a pretty good chunk of money for that position regardless.
What is an Ooooook?

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe Joyner and the Rams are on the verge of a long-term contract, and Joyner (and the Rams) don't want to risk injury right now.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'm thinking it's a shark bite.

HXyHssS.gif