Rams Personnel

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No need to be sorry this board is all about discussing our team, right?

1) I don't understand who you think he needs to admit something to or what effect it would have on anything to enhance the team.

2) I don't disagree with this, they have so many young guys who were trying to learn on the job it was really only working when they went up tempo. I did not understand the hesitancy to use a quicker tempo from the beginning of the game instead of waiting until the 4th quarter or not do it at all.

3) Preseason seems to be a lot different since the last collective bargaining agreement. They don't seem to have enough time in spring activities to install a scheme so it falls to preseason and there is just too much to get done. I have no problem with a slow steady progression building so that the team is peaking at the end of the season.

He's saying that Fish will need to come to some tough decisions for the better of the team this offseason. Some of those decisions (firing Walton, cutting Finnegan, etc.) would indicate that he made mistakes when adding personnel and hiring coaches. He wouldn't verbally admit to those mistakes, but his actions this offseason will indicate if he owns up to some of his mistakes.

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam with more info and a correction:
The Rams opening 2013 season non starting CB Cortland Finnegan, who has been IR's since week 7 due to a fractured orbital bone, signed mega $$$$ to a five-year, $50 million contract last March. Going back to last season CF ended up on ProFootballFocus' No. 86 corner!. This season CF ended his 2013 season ....wait here it comes .....dead last (110th) in 2013. So the Rams paid out over 15 mil this dismal disastrous season...along with a poor 2012 season so if this season is aberration are the Rams gambling big along with you Warner4Prez for a return to his poor 2012 non aberration? Some serious hope there Warner4Prez I like you around when things go south for us....I have read in several places that savings of close to 7 million can be obtained with the release of Cortland...sounds like a super black Friday savings day to me! Release him !

Thanks Bonifay, I knew it was bad but I seem to have overestimated his play.:lol:

Needless to say, I agree with all of that.

Alan

Legend
nighttrain and rhinobean concurring on the value of Pead:
I have not given up on Pead and I hope he gets increased playing time the rest of the season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Thanks Bonifay, I knew it was bad but I seem to have overestimated his play.:lol:

Needless to say, I agree with all of that.

If the Rams do save close to 7 million in 2014 ......:roflmao: that's enough to entice both Ol'er Saffold & LB'er Dunbar back in Ram park in 2014 with. If that's possible who in their right mind would not trade a 2014 Cortland Finnegan for a 2014 Rodger Saffold & Jo Lunn Dunbar?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
nighttrain and rhinobean concurring on the value of Pead:
I have not given up on Pead and I hope he gets increased playing time the rest of the season.

There is NO savings in cutting Pead. Pead is the highest paid RB of the five. The releasing of this 23 yr old RB would cost the Rams in #2014 $ 688,400 in dead money! So I would ask you why release a fresh very young fully healthy talented RB that would cost the Ram 2014 cap $$? I would keep Pead & develop him as the Rams third down back in 2014. I really think he would be a very good one. The Rams have three RB's who have helped this team out in this bad season. DR & Pead have offered very little. Chase has been very good in ST's. DR who was our change of Pace back with some outside speed has been outplayed by BC who has proven mush faster than DR in turning the corner. I would suggest that the Rams keep all five of these RB's for 2014. if you have to release one for a better RB that arrives in 2014 then DR would be my choice and the cost of his release & dead $$ is only $22,948 but I would just stand pat @ RB

Pead $1,101,300
22 yr old Zac $585,000
23 yr old DR $537,000
23 yr old BC $498,000
26 yr old Chase $495,000

fearsomefour

Legend
He's saying that Fish will need to come to some tough decisions for the better of the team this offseason. Some of those decisions (firing Walton, cutting Finnegan, etc.) would indicate that he made mistakes when adding personnel and hiring coaches. He wouldn't verbally admit to those mistakes, but his actions this offseason will indicate if he owns up to some of his mistakes.

THIS is a key thing for anyone in a leadership position. Many teams that can never turn it around have one thing in common. An Owner that hires a GM and GM that hires and continually fires coaches. The GM is forced to admit his mistakes in terms of hiring a coach and replace them. The Owner can never admit (ego) his mistake in hiring a GM. Things never change.
I am not saying about with the Rams ownership and Snead but this certainly applies to Fisher and his hires with coaches. The D took a major step back, receivers have not developed and the O as a whole has not lived up to expectations.

fearsomefour

Legend
There is NO savings in cutting Pead. Pead is the highest paid RB of the five. The releasing of this 23 yr old RB would cost the Rams in #2014 $ 688,400 in dead money! So I would ask you why release a fresh very young fully healthy talented RB that would cost the Ram 2014 cap $$? I would keep Pead & develop him as the Rams third down back in 2014. I really think he would be a very good one. The Rams have three RB's who have helped this team out in this bad season. DR & Pead have offered very little. Chase has been very good in ST's. DR who was our change of Pace back with some outside speed has been outplayed by BC who has proven mush faster than DR in turning the corner. I would suggest that the Rams keep all five of these RB's for 2014. if you have to release one for a better RB that arrives in 2014 then DR would be my choice and the cost of his release & dead $$ is only $22,948 but I would just stand pat @ RB

Pead $1,101,300
22 yr old Zac $585,000
23 yr old DR $537,000
23 yr old BC $498,000
26 yr old Chase $495,000

I agree with this. The potential that the Rams drafted with Pead is still there. Stacy has proven himself at this point. Richardson and Cunningham have shown some different things over last year and this. Pead may be a head case…..not getting on the field for a punt, when that is your only job vs. Arizona, is just impossible to understand. The guy just doesnt seem to care. But, that is judging from afar which is usually not accurate. I could see Stacy and Pead being a very good 1-2 punch at RB if Pead can have a good offseason and grow into the role of a being a pro. His ability as a pass catcher is something that interests me. Stacy has stone hands.

F. Mulder

Starter
I'm in the give Pead one more year camp as well. Maybe he gets a chance to play the final 3 games but if I were him I'd speak with Fisher and staff and vow to make a full commitment to the team and taking his skill level up to expectations. He would seem to have a short leash and any off-field stuff or being late to meetings etc would probably finish him off BUT I hope he has the chance to play some this year and at worst comes to camp next year with somewhat of a fresh start. If that doesn't pan out then I'm all for cutting ties.

fearsomefour

Legend
If the Rams do save close to 7 million in 2014 ......:roflmao: that's enough to entice both Ol'er Saffold & LB'er Dunbar back in Ram park in 2014 with. If that's possible who in their right mind would not trade a 2014 Cortland Finnegan for a 2014 Rodger Saffold & Jo Lunn Dunbar?
I think that is about what Saffold is going to find out there in FA. 3 years $22M something like that to play T.
Mark my words, he is going to get way overpaid (based on injury history not skill level).
A more likely outcome may be using that $7M to resign Dunbar, Smith, Barnes and get a vet G and maybe a depth type of CB.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think that is about what Saffold is going to find out there in FA. 3 years $22M something like that to play T.
Mark my words, he is going to get way overpaid (based on injury history not skill level).
A more likely outcome may be using that $7M to resign Dunbar, Smith, Barnes and get a vet G and maybe a depth type of CB.

On again off again Ram starting OLG/ORG 20123/2013 Shelley Smith is a RFA in 2014. Shelley has worth currently because the Rams could be without both starting OG's & center. Shelley was inactive for the 2nd time since the 2nd wk. Barrett Jones replaced Shelley last week for the first time ..IMO Shelley could be signed for around $900,000K to 1 mil range as a replacement for starting OLG Chris Williams or ORG Harvey Dahl, Shelley plays OLG better than ORG IMO. I would work hard to resign Shelley not so much to be the starter but as the top reserve once again. He will add some stability to a possible shaky early start in the interior OL.

Current starting center Tim Barnes is a ERFA in 2014. IMO Barnes who has been a Ram now for 3 seasons could be signed back up for about the same as Shelley for approx. $900K. With the probable release of veteran Wells he is very important. Like you said fearsomefour another vet OG may be needed too even the returning of reserves OG Mike Persons $645K & OG Brandon Washington $645K under contract in 2014 returning. I would still draft two OT's who could slid inside if need be in the 2014 draft.

OLB Jo Lunn Dunbar would be looking for a longer contact & a hefty pay raise after this yrs $850,000K. Rams will not pay over 2 mil a season for Dunbar. This will be interesting to watch this. Rams do have some younger Lb'ers with promise on the roster in Armstrong- Bates & Steward.

Those three FA's should cost us around 4 mil to get back here.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
On again off again Ram starting OLG/ORG 20123/2013 Shelley Smith is a RFA in 2014. Shelley has worth currently because the Rams could be without both starting OG's & center. Shelley was inactive for the 2nd time since the 2nd wk. Barrett Jones replaced Shelley last week for the first time ..IMO Shelley could be signed for around $900,000K to 1 mil range as a replacement for starting OLG Chris Williams or ORG Harvey Dahl, Shelley plays OLG better than ORG IMO. I would work hard to resign Shelley not so much to be the starter but as the top reserve once again. He will add some stability to a possible shaky early start in the interior OL.

Current starting center Tim Barnes is a ERFA in 2014. IMO Barnes who has been a Ram now for 3 seasons could be signed back up for about the same as Shelley for approx. $900K. With the probable release of veteran Wells he is very important. Like you said fearsomefour another vet OG may be needed too even the returning of reserves OG Mike Persons $645K & OG Brandon Washington $645K under contract in 2014 returning. I would still draft two OT's who could slid inside if need be in the 2014 draft.

OLB Jo Lunn Dunbar would be looking for a longer contact & a hefty pay raise after this yrs $850,000K. Rams will not pay over 2 mil a season for Dunbar. This will be interesting to watch this. Rams do have some younger Lb'ers with promise on the roster in Armstrong- Bates & Steward.

I haven't given up on Barrett Jones' chances of playing center in the future, but I think Barnes is further along right now & could be a decent-solid starter for us next year. Imo Barnes plays well these next 3 games it makes it easier to make a decision on Wells. Wells is better, but health and age are concerns, and is he really worth $4.5M more than Barnes? I think resigning Barnes to be our starter & cutting Wells makes a lot of sense.

I agree too about Smith. Good reserve. I'd use money from potential Finnegan/Wells/Dahl cuts & a Sam restructure to resign Barnes, Smith, & maybe JD. I'd target Jon Asamoah like many have suggested. Imo Saffold will get more $ from another team to play TACKLE, and as much as I love him we need a OL who can stay HEALTHY for 16. I'd target a young athletic OG in the 2nd or 3rd to play LG. While adding Matthews would be ideal (plug & play RT, backup LT), I have no problem with Barksdale starting in 2014. But I'd add a potential starting RT in the draft (to compete for RT &/or swing tackle) if we didn't get a top LT prospect.

I don't think its too far fetched to have an OL in 2014 that goes:
LT: Long
LG: Su'a-Filo (UCLA)
C: Barnes vs Jones
RG: Asamoah
RT: Barksdale

fearsomefour

Legend

I think Smith and Barnes both carry value as depth guys. I would like to see them both locked up for more than one year. I am not sold on Barnes being a starter yet. Not against it, just havent seen enough. Even if the Rams bring back both Smith and Barner (likely) and even if Saffold returns (unlikely) I would draft a couple of Ts and at least one G this draft. One of those picks (T) should be in the first two rounds. As you have stated before the Rams are thin at T if Saffold goes.

F. Mulder

Starter
I think if Saffold stays healthy the last 3 games he's gone, and I have mixed emotions about that, but that's how the business goes. I'd hate to give him a big contract and then see him withering on the ground early in the season as we are wont to see. OTOH, maybe he gets the physical and injury situation in synch and someone has a top notch OL. Personally, I'm willing to roll that dice.