Rams OL in 2014 is ranked 31st per PFF

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Like the educational system in the great state of Mississippi there is no where to go but up!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Consider the source! HA!HA!HA!HA! AND HA! ( IMHO, maybe 27th at worst!)

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I don't know where it should have been ranked, but definitely lower than 13. A less effective, then lost for the season Jake Long, and two horribly weak links in Wells and Joseph and you have a bad OL. GRob did about as good as you could expect for a rookie who came in raw, Saffold toughed it out, and Barksdale struggled (I think in no small part due to the two weak links to his left).

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Yep, we need to make the offensive line a priority this season. Get a couple of big nasty son of a bitches to fill the LG and Center positions and the line should be much improved. This is assuming that Barksdale is re-signed, of course.

iced

really not surpising with Saffold being the only one who played above average

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I didn't see a unit from another team that played worse.
With Wells and Saffold having two healthy arms between them, yeah, I agree.

We're stronger at most other positions than we've been in years.
We only need two units that need to be filled to be playoff bound.
QB
Oline.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Barksdale needs to go i dont buy he was just playing bad because of joseph

Joe Barksdale has some good size holes in his game but the team is in no position to not give JB an offer & a decent pay increase. I am most likely the most vocal member here on JB but this team has not prepared the last three seasons in any fashion by draft or by free agency or in our practice squad cadre where they have a legit ORT on this roster ....PERIOD!

Fisher Snead & Boudreau are in a pickle here where they will be forced to overpay for an average ORT in free agency. Rams do have Jake Long & Barrett Jones both have played ORT in college. But Long is an almost certain release, thus leaving Jones.

The only other OT the Rams have is an OT named Steven Baker. He was signed to a future contract. Baker is a 6-8 310 sized OT who has been on many different practice squads since 2012. Rams have also signed Travis Bond to a future contract in 2015. Bond is a pure OG nothing else His feet move like each one have a 100 pound weight attached to them.
http://tfdssports.com/2012-articles/raiders-draft-prep-ot-steven-baker.html

My best suggestion to the Rams is to offer the 32 yr old UFA ex Titan Michael Roos an good size offer first! Court him & get him in here ASAP. Then go after JB too. If things worked out the Rams will have the needed 3 OT's on their roster in 2015. Roos began his career with Fisher @ ORT then Fisher moved him to OLT where he has graded out very good for over a decade. With Roos you have a second OLT/swing OT on your roster. JB does not help fulfill the needed swing OT. If Roos returns to full health he could permit Greg Robinson to slide back to OLG for one more season for a serious strong OG tandem which would then shift Saffold back to his best position @ ORG where he can assist Barksdale @ ORT. Never know they could also court UFA OLG Clint Boling just in case Saffold's surgery & rehabbing events have setbacks.

OLT-Roos/
OLG-Robinson/
OC-Jones/Rhaney
ORG Saffold/Bond
ORT-Barksdale/Baker

Now when you go into the draft Snead is not in a fixed position where he is forced to go OL'er with the first 3 selections. Sure they will still need OL help but if another Aaron Donald is there.....your in a position to take him.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
No thanks, I'll pass on Roos. No more 30+ free agents. Plus, Robinson is a lock to start at LT next season.

Athos

Legend
Improving "i.e. cutting" Wells, Long, and kicking Joseph in the ass on the way out, and replacing them with even average talent, would skyrocket us a couple levels.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
No thanks, I'll pass on Roos. No more 30+ free agents. Plus, Robinson is a lock to start at LT next season.
I understand what your saying I want young talented OL'ers on this team too. Boudreau rode & started Wells (34), Long (29) & Joseph(31) to the very end. Boudreau did not start the #2 overall draft pick. He does not go young period unless forced. I do not see him changing what he has always done. Its a very good chance that all three of those Boudreau well seasoned well worn starters will not be here in 2015. Rams have six signed OL'ers on their roster when you average those 6 you get an average of 24 yrs old with just 2 yrs experience. Rams must add sign another half dozen decent OL'ers & then even more after that. I just see no way that Boudreau will bypass on several 30 plus UFA's over youngsters.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
OLT-Roos/
OLG-Robinson/
OC-Jones/Rhaney
ORG Saffold/Bond
ORT-Barksdale/Baker

Now when you go into the draft Snead is not in a fixed position where he is forced to go OL'er with the first 3 selections. Sure they will still need OL help but if another Aaron Donald is there.....your in a position to take him.

I'd like to politely disagree. We MUST use at least 2 of our first 3 picks on Offensive Line. We simply must. It's killing us in games.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Rams OL in 2014 is ranked 31st per PFF

After watching them play this year that seems a bit high!

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Year after year this O-line is a problem for us. We cant seem to get healthy guys in and performing at a consistently high level. Might be something to do with paying washed up free agents looking for a final pay cheque or something like that - but the math is simple - O-line sucks year in year out - your records gonna suck year in year out....and ours does.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
I understand what your saying I want young talented OL'ers on this team too. Boudreau rode & started Wells (34), Long (29) & Joseph(31) to the very end. Boudreau did not start the #2 overall draft pick. He does not go young period unless forced. I do not see him changing what he has always done. Its a very good chance that all three of those Boudreau well seasoned well worn starters will not be here in 2015. Rams have six signed OL'ers on their roster when you average those 6 you get an average of 24 yrs old with just 2 yrs experience. Rams must add sign another half dozen decent OL'ers & then even more after that. I just see no way that Boudreau will bypass on several 30 plus UFA's over youngsters.

They may plug in one seasoned vet, but no way will they go out and get two of them to start on this line. There are some very solid guys under 30 who can be had and as far as the Rams history with the draft, many who said "No way will the Rams go Oline in the first round. Fisher never has done that." Point is, things change and you can't hold people to what they have done in the past. When Fisher tried to move up to grab Zack Martin in the draft last year it sure as hell wasn't because he planned on starting the season with him on the bench. In fact, Robinson was the starter at LG going into camp but they realized he wasn't ready. It wasn't in their plans for him to start the season on the bench. And Robinson will indeed be the starting LT next year as Fisher has already stated.

Alan

Legend
BriansRams not reading the fine print:
I'd like to politely disagree. We MUST use at least 2 of our first 3 picks on Offensive Line.
Actually Brian, you're not really disagreeing with him. Bonifay is just not wanting us to have to pick 3 O-liners in the draft. Which is what we'd need to do if we don't pick up some vets in FA. Whether that's Barksdale and Roos is another matter. I'm pretty sure he's all in on drafting at least 2 in the first 3 rounds.