Rams offseason analysis: Special teams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.dailynews.com/2018/02/26/los-angeles-rams-offseason-analysis-special-teams/

Los Angeles Rams offseason analysis: Special teams
By RICH HAMMOND

1113_spo_ldn-l-rams-hg10.jpg

(Photo by Hans Gutknecht, Los Angeles Daily News/SCNG

For all the ways the Rams could have lost their wild-card-round playoff game against Atlanta in January, a special-teams meltdown seemed least likely, given how well that unit had performed for two years.

Yet that’s what happened. The Rams committed two uncharacteristic turnovers, one on a kickoff and one on a punt, and never truly recovered. It made for a shocking end to the season for a group that had been an underrated part of the Rams’ surprising success in 2017.

Once again, Johnny Hekker was a dominant punter, although the Rams didn’t need to rely on him as much because their offense actually moved the ball. Kicker Greg Zuerlein nearly was automatic again before he underwent late-season back surgery.

The Rams also made a smart move early in the season when the deposed Tavon Austin as punt returner and elevated Pharoh Cooper, who was dynamic until a couple blunders in the playoff game.

Nothing should change much in 2018, as long as Zuerlein is healthy. As part of an ongoing series, here’s an in-depth glance at the Rams’ situation on special teams:

KICKERS/PUNTERS: Johnny Hekker (65 punts, 47.9 yards per attempt); Greg Zuerlein (40 of 43 field goals, 44 of 46 extra points); Sam Ficken (2 of 3 field goals, 4 of 5 extra points).

RETURNERS: Pharoh Cooper (32 punt returns, 399 yards, 0 TD; 34 kickoff returns, 932 yards, 1 TD); Tavon Austin (12 punt returns, 53 yards, 0 TD; 1 kickoff return, 13 yards, 0 TD).

PENDING FREE AGENTS: long snapper Jake McQuaide, Ficken (restricted).

GRADING 2017
Coach Sean McVay and defensive coordinator Wade Phillips rightfully get a lot of credit, but special-teams coach John Fassel clearly is a wizard, and he showed in 2017 that he could incorporate new players into the unit and have zero drop-off in productivity.

Credit the Rams for being decisive. When Austin struggled, in the season’s first month, with fumbles on punt returns, the Rams didn’t hesitate to demote the veteran, who already had lost his spot as a starting receiver.

In came Cooper, who had been used sporadically as a returner during his 2016 rookie season but who thrived as Austin’s replacement. Cooper had 32 punt returns in 2017, and eight of them went for at least 20 yards (and two of them went for at least 40 yards). Cooper also averaged 27.4 yards per kickoff return.

The Rams kept quiet, all season, the fact that Zuerlein was dealing with a back injury, but finally it became too much for Zuerlein to tolerate and he went on injured reserve in December. Sam Ficken came in and initially struggled but was perfect in the regular-season finale and the playoff game. GRADE: A

ANALYZING 2018
The expectation is that Zuerlein will be ready for the start of the season. If not, there’s some cause for concern, given how reliable he has been over the past two seasons. Ficken is staying on the roster, just in case, but Zuerlein is only 30 years old and should have many quality seasons ahead of him.

The biggest question might involve Cooper and his usage next season. If, as is widely anticipated, the Rams cut Austin, Cooper might inherit a bigger role in the offense (although just slightly, given how sparingly Austin was used in 2017).

If Cooper becomes more of a traditional slot receiver, the Rams must decide whether he can maintain his role as a full-time returner. He probably can, but if not, look for receiver Cooper Kupp to perhaps share those duties with Cooper.

Hekker, Zuerlein, Cooper and McQuaide all made the Pro Bowl in 2017 and there’s no reason to think that any of them are on the downside of their respective careers. As long as Fassel remains with the Rams, special teams should be a team strength. LEVEL OF NEED: LOW

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Zuerlines back is the only concern.

Exactly. A herniated disc is no light thing, especially for an athlete.

Btw do you folks all remember this punter that played 5 years for the Rams?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/27/donnie-jones-announces-his-retirement/

Donnie Jones announces his retirement
Posted by Josh Alper on February 27, 2018

400donniejonesrams.jpg

Donnie Jones had the only punt in Super Bowl LII and the 41-yard boot will go down as the final one of his NFL career.

Jones announced his retirement from the NFL on Tuesday.

“After 14 seasons in the NFL, I have decided to retire so that I can spend more time with my family,” Jones said in a statement through the team. “I am grateful for all those who have supported me throughout the years. Specifically, I would like to thank Jeffrey Lurie, Howie Roseman, Doug Pederson and the entire Eagles organization for allowing me to be a part of their family for the past five seasons.

I will truly miss my teammates, coaches, friends and the best fans in the NFL. Although I am retiring, I will always be an Eagle and will forever have a special place in my heart for the city of Philadelphia. It is a great honor to be a part of the first Super Bowl championship team in Eagles history and there is no better way to finish my career.”

Jones began his career with the Seahawks in 2004, moved on to Miami for two years and then spent five years with the Rams. After a one-year stint in Houston, Jones moved on to Philadelphia and played every game for them over the last five seasons. He’s played in the last 208 games overall, which put him third behind behind Shane Lechler and Jason Witten in terms of consecutive games played by an active player until Tuesday’s announcement.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Need a healthy GZ, everything else should be ok .

The playoff lights will not be overwhelming for pharoh this season.

Ram65

Legend
Exactly. A herniated disc is no light thing, especially for an athlete.

Btw do you folks all remember this punter that played 5 years for the Rams?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/27/donnie-jones-announces-his-retirement/

Donnie Jones announces his retirement
Posted by Josh Alper on February 27, 2018

400donniejonesrams.jpg

Donnie Jones had the only punt in Super Bowl LII and the 41-yard boot will go down as the final one of his NFL career.

Jones announced his retirement from the NFL on Tuesday.

“After 14 seasons in the NFL, I have decided to retire so that I can spend more time with my family,” Jones said in a statement through the team. “I am grateful for all those who have supported me throughout the years. Specifically, I would like to thank Jeffrey Lurie, Howie Roseman, Doug Pederson and the entire Eagles organization for allowing me to be a part of their family for the past five seasons.

I will truly miss my teammates, coaches, friends and the best fans in the NFL. Although I am retiring, I will always be an Eagle and will forever have a special place in my heart for the city of Philadelphia. It is a great honor to be a part of the first Super Bowl championship team in Eagles history and there is no better way to finish my career.”

Jones began his career with the Seahawks in 2004, moved on to Miami for two years and then spent five years with the Rams. After a one-year stint in Houston, Jones moved on to Philadelphia and played every game for them over the last five seasons. He’s played in the last 208 games overall, which put him third behind behind Shane Lechler and Jason Witten in terms of consecutive games played by an active player until Tuesday’s announcement.

Donnie was my boy on another forum. Had him two years in a row as my favorite Ram to follow and they were great years with the Rams. Always chuckled when he punted for the Eagles. Nice that he gets to go out on top. I think he could have kept going. Hope J Hekker punts for the Rams that long.

Ram65

Legend
Greg Zuerlein (40 of 43 field goals, 44 of 46 extra points);
Hope he doing well. Rams need him back as close to 100% as possible.

I thought the last few weeks of the regular season he STs had a let down. Could have been GZee going down. After the Hags game they seemed to lack intensity. Titans were fired up and held the returns down. Maybe they were ready their press clippings.