Rams notes: McLeod emerges as leader/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notes: McLeod emerges as leader
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_e244bd5d-4456-5b64-a30e-5ab6a480f9a9.html

Since joining the Rams as an undrafted free agent in May 2012, safety Rodney McLeod has made steady progress.

As a rookie, the University of Virginia product played in all 16 games and paced the club’s special teams with 16 tackles. In a tie at San Francisco that season, he hauled in a 21-yard pass from Johnny Hekker on a fake punt.

Last year, McLeod was voted special teams captain and won the job at strong safety. He started all 16 games and finished as the team’s third-leading tackler, behind linebackers Alec Ogletree and James Laurinaitis. McLeod finished with 87 tackles, including 68 solos, intercepted two passes and defended five others. He forced two fumbles and also recovered a pair of them.

While pleased with his progress to date, McLeod is seeking to take his game to another level this season.

“I started off undrafted and I’m blessed to be where I am now as a starter,’’ he said. “Just having those two years under my belt helps because I’ve experienced a lot and seen a lot. I wouldn’t say I was where I needed to be in the first four or five games last season, but toward the latter part of the season I definitely saw a different player in myself. Going into this season, I’m just trying to take on the role of a leader back there, to do whatever it takes to make sure we get to the playoffs.’’

At 24, he is one of the most experienced players in the Rams’ youthful secondary. Of the 16 cornerbacks and safeties on the 90-man roster, nine haven’t taken a snap in an NFL regular-season contest.

“I’m taking the approach that I have to be a leader, along with (third-year cornerbacks) Janoris (Jenkins) and Trumaine (Johnson) and (second-year safety) T.J. (McDonald) because we’re the guys who have game experience,’’ McLeod said. “We’ve been around the longest, so how we take the practice field and how we take those first reps, that’s how we’re going to set the tone for the rest of the practice.’’

Rams coach Jeff Fisher likes the progress McLeod has made.

“From midseason on last year right through the final game and throughout the offseason and camp, nothing but improvement,’’ the coach said. “He gets it, he feels good (and) he’s got a great feel for the defense. He and T.J. are really doing a good job communicating together, getting people lined up. The (safety) positions are interchangeable, so there’s flexibility there and then of course, you can’t say enough about the special-teams contribution. He’s going to start at free safety, going to play on a couple of (special) teams and be productive for us.’’

McLeod, who is 5 feet 10 and weighs 198 pounds, is still adjusting to new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams. But he’s excited about the new system.

“The thing about Gregg is that he challenges the whole defense, from the front seven to us at the back end, to get better each and every day,’’ McLeod said. “We’re learning from the coaches — they’re the ones with the experience here. We’re young but we’re hungry and we’re learning each and every day out here.

“I have to make a lot of adjustments back there, but (Williams) gives me the freedom to do a lot of different things. It’s an attacking defense and I expect a lot of great things this season.’’

RAM-BLINGS

With the heat and humidity back to normal August-in-St. Louis levels, the Rams went through a spirited and somewhat contentious workout before a crowd of 1,003 Monday afternoon. Rookie defensive back Lamarcus Joyner, just back after tweaking a groin, drew the ire of veteran receivers Kenny Britt and Austin Pettis, and a number of teammates were needed to break up the Joyner-Pettis scuffle.

“We’re competing. That’s brotherhood out there,’’ the second-round draft choice from Florida State said. “We’re not playing for paychecks out here, we’re playing for championships.’’

Rookie Greg Reid, who played alongside Joyner at Florida State, had a couple of big hits and closed the practice in style, stepping in front of fellow rookie Austin Franklin to intercept a Garrett Gilbert pass.

“We’re both just passionate players,’’ Joyner said.

The other big hits of the day came at the end of Zac Stacy runs. On the first, Stacy put a good hit on McLeod. But McLeod returned the favor later.

The offensive highlights included at least three passes from veteran quarterback Shaun Hill to rookie free-agent tight end Alex Bayer. And Fort Zumwalt West High and MU product T.J. Moe made a couple of nice grabs.

• Linebacker James Laurinaitis (ankle) and defensive tackle Michael Brockers (ankle) were at the top of Monday’s did-not-practice list. Others sitting out were receiver Brian Quick, guard Rodger Saffold, defensive tackle Kendall Langford, cornerback Janoris Jenkins, cornerback Brandon McGee, linebacker Pat Schiller, center-guard Barrett Jones, guard Brandon Washington, running back Trey Watts and fullback Kadeem Jones.

• Former Rams receiver Mark Clayton watched Monday’s practice and liked what he saw of the squad’s receiving corps. Clayton, in town on business, has a company (LIVV) that will be producing high-tech headphones. Production will begin in October.

• Area high school coaches on the sideline Monday were from Fort Zumwalt South, Timberland and Warrenton.

• The Rams, who host New Orleans on Friday night in the exhibition opener for both clubs, hold their final open-to-the-public workout this week at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Jim Thomas of the Post-Dispatch contributed to this report.